closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cataracts, has anyone had them done?

Cataracts, has anyone had them done?

Apparently I have cataracts in both eyes but only the right eye is causing problems at the moment. I'm due to have it fixed in the next 4 weeks (don't have a date yet) and I'm wondering how much downtime I'm likely have following the procedure, anyone have any experience?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    My brother had one eye done privately. In and out same day and mild irritation for three or four days afterwards. Not sure if that’s typical but was true for him.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Cataracts, has anyone had them done?

I had both my eyes done about 3 months apart two and a half years ago. Prior to the procedure I was finding it dangerous to drive at night and my long sight was out of focus. They corrected my vision with the new lenses and I no longer need specs.

The procedure takes no more than 15 minutes per eye and I found no discomfort during or after. I was advised not to play golf for a week and not to drive for a few days. You need to administer drops quite frequently for about 2 weeks if I remember correctly, which is a bit of a nuisance although I took mine on holiday and didn't have a problem. I had mine done at Spa Medica, a private clinic but referred by my Optician via the NHS.

As far as sight improvement goes it is fantastic, I hadn't realised I hadn't seen true white for years, everything was so bright, my sight at 76 is better than at 26!

Spa Medica gave me a very informative booklet at my original assessment, which answered all my questions

Good luck with it, there will be no looking back. (sorry).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wjkerfoot; 20th September 2021 at 09:39.

I worked in an office a few years ago where one colleague in her early 60’s had cataracts removed and we were all quite worried for her. She was back at work 3 or 4 days after the op and couldn’t stop raving about how well it had gone and what a difference it had made. The funny thing was, from that point on it seemed like every few weeks someone else was having their cataracts removed - the department we worked for was quite large and many of her friends and colleagues took her advice or had their eyes investigated. My mother had the surgery recently and also reports what a difference it has made. Hope that helps reassure you Eddie - anything involving eyes sounds a bit daunting

Master
    My mum had both hers done a few years ago (she's 86 now) and also couldn't believe the improvement to her eyesight and quality of life. She told me the procedure was quick and painless. Recovery went well and she has had no problems whatsoever to date.

Max one week off based on my mum having had hers done

My gran had cataracts removed many years ago. In those days they just took the lens out and prescribed bottle bottom glasses. None of this plastic lens business.

Master
    I took my 90+ year old mum for this doing. Went off, had a meal and a walk along the beach, then got a call to pick her up! Apart from an "itchy eye" (which went after a couple of days) she was as right as rain in less than a week!

Thanks, this is all reassuring to read.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad had his done at ninty,only complaint was he had to buy new glasses as his sight had improved .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had my left eys done in April, went to the clinic at 8.30 was out in two and half hours, op took five minutes. When I got home lay down for the rest of the day, thereafter no problems. Absolutely no swimming, bending lifting for four to six weeks.

Another vote for Spa Medica
    Last edited by hilly10; 20th September 2021 at 19:37.

As above really. It's a very routine procedure, and most patients I refer are incredibly happy with the results.

I've had some say the surgeon told them he'd finished before they realised he'd got going.

Be vigilant with the post op drops regime, and if you have any issues call the number they provide. Leaving problems to see if they settle down is rarely a good idea.

I had one done in June and am expecting my other on 6th Oct.

Key points.
    You will need to isolate before hand for about 7 days.
    You will need someone to bring you home.
    The procedure takes about 40 minutes - a lot of questions, some eye drops, the main event, and then tea and biccies.
    It’s pretty pain free, but it is a bit uncomfortable given the Clockwork Orange eye instruments the use.
    They fitted me with a clear eye patch which you keep on for the first day and then overnight for 3 days.
    They will give you two types of drops. One you take for 2 weeks and an antibiotic for 3 weeks.
    No driving for a min of 24 hours.

You should notice a massive improvement in your vision pretty much immediately, but the full effect will not be seen (pun) until the morning after - once all the drugs have worn off.

it’s possible you might get a few floaters after a few weeks, but they can treat them by zapping them with a laser - not a problem I have had (to date).

it’s bloody marvellous. After 20 years of wearing glasses, now I am now glasses free. Freedom

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    My Nan had them done at the tender age of 101 and thought it was great bless her

Had my second eye done today. A bit uncomfortable and light sensitive, however my pupil is so dilated (because of the drugs) that I could be an owl. Otherwise all good.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

My mum has now had both of her eyes done at 80 and said there was nothing to it.
    She had to wear a patch to protect it for the first 24-hours and use eye drops for about a month but once the patch came off had great vision from the start. It’s only slightly irritating when we go out if I forget my glasses and have to ask her to read the menu!
    Good luck with getting yours sorted

Blog Entries
    After having my right eye done in Feb 2020, I was over the moon. Then, in June 2020 I was hit by ablatio retina and now, 18 months later, I'm having secondary cataract... I guess I'm on the 'exception list'... My right eye is as bad as it was before Feb '20's operation.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    After having my right eye done in Feb 2020, I was over the moon. Then, in June 2020 I was hit by ablatio retina and now, 18 months later, I'm having secondary cataract... I guess I'm on the 'exception list'... My right eye is as bad as it was before Feb '20's operation.
    I think your secondary cataract is what I was told is called Posterior Capsule Opacification & if it is then it's a very straightforward, 10 minute operation to zap the capsule wall with a YAG laser. I had to have it as the catatract was slightly attached to the posterior wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Had my second eye done today. A bit uncomfortable and light sensitive, however my pupil is so dilated (because of the drugs) that I could be an owl. Otherwise all good.

One month on and all is well. I have even managed to book an eye test (more difficult than expected).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having my right eye done on Saturday morning at Spa Medica. Had my left eye done in April which was amazing, cannot wait to see the difference with both eyes done

Master
    I’ve had one done around 4 years ago, very successfully, while the other eye hasn’t progressed much at all.

However, in case Eddie ends up with one done and one pending for a while, depending on the difference between the corrective glasses prescriptions you end up with, you can find that the brain has difficulty ‘fusing’ the two differently-sized images that result.

I’m coping for now, but at the end of the day when I’m tired, or after a couple of wines, I get a bit of double vision. This may worsen and prompt fixing the other side earlier than might be needed just from the point of view of the cloudiness of the lens itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    :D i had Lazek lazer eye surgery a few months ago and scared the bejesus out of my wife after a pre-op consultation when i turned up with THE WORLD'S LARGEST PUPILS.

Not the same as your procedure Eddie but a lot of similarities - couldn't believe how quick and painless it was. Going to the dentist was far more uncomfortable. Just don't go on youtube to watch the procedure until AFTER you've had it done. it makes it look far far worse.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had my other eye done yesterday morning, bit of aching due to the bright lights first thing this morning but now it’s all clear my vision seems it’s back to perfection. Many thanks to all the great staff at Spa Medica Wolverhampton

A little uninteresting factoid, all you guys that had procedures done at Spa Medica will have had instruments used on them supplied by my company, ( well, not MY company, the company I work for ) we have a big contract with them
    Cheers..
    Jase