closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Q7 traded for XC90

Master
    Blog Entries

Q7 traded for XC90

Well today we said goodbye to our owned from new Q7 and hello to a very nice XC90 D5 R design Pro of 2017 vintage.

Boy how the tech has changed. Unbelievable and clever too.

Anyone who has/had one suggest any good additions?? Im looking for winter wheels with tyres if any out there??

Thanks all

Jim

Master
    I have run one for the past year, XC90 R line pro, and found it a great family conveyance. I have Pirelli scorpion Verde tyres, as I have had on a few previous SUV types, and found them great in all weathers, more than adequate grip in snow.
    Difficult to suggest any additions as I find it very well specced. The all round camera trick is great for parking, and the air suspension is good (the kids love it), but the overall feeling is that it is a bit "white goods".
    What colour did you get btw?
    Health to drive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wife's parents have a 2018 in inscription pro. Seat massage is nice. Carplay might be worthwhile for approx £300 if you don't have it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I have run one for the past year, XC90 R line pro, and found it a great family conveyance. I have Pirelli scorpion Verde tyres, as I have had on a few previous SUV types, and found them great in all weathers, more than adequate grip in snow.
    Difficult to suggest any additions as I find it very well specced. The all round camera trick is great for parking, and the air suspension is good (the kids love it), but the overall feeling is that it is a bit "white goods".
    Health to drive.

So you recommend those tyres? I have a 2018 XC90 which needs new front tyres, are these cheaper and/or better than whatever Volvo would fit? Presumably you have to replace all four? Thanks.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    So you recommend those tyres? I have a 2018 XC90 which needs new front tyres, are these cheaper and/or better than whatever Volvo would fit? Presumably you have to replace all four? Thanks.

As long as the front two are the same it should fine.

I’m generally of the opinion that any premium branded tyre should be ok, but happy to hear if others agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

I’m generally of the opinion that any premium branded tyre should be ok, but happy to hear if others agree
    Thanks. I like the idea of ones which grip in the snow although the xc90 was great in the snow last year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Health to drive.

Cheers Rob

We got the metallic blue. Very nice and The boss is well pleased. She was sad to see her Q7 go but it was 10 years old, longest we’ve ever had a motor!

All the very best

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wife's parents have a 2018 in inscription pro. Seat massage is nice. Carplay might be worthwhile for approx £300 if you don't have it already.
    Ta for that. I actually think we have those seats. Need to check.

All the very best W.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

Agree. Always try to match cross axle and ideally all 4.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I like the idea of ones which grip in the snow although the xc90 was great in the snow last year.

Let’s hope so! We can compare notes.

Did anyone else’s Service Light come on today. Apparently a spoof signal via Volvo Connect to XC90s. Personally I think that’s a load of boll***s

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    We’ve got Pirelli’s on our XC90 -21 inch. They’re ok. But I’ll be switching to Michelin’s when I can be bothered. I’ve run them on every 4x4 I’ve had for the last 10 years and think they are superior.

And as a general comment; On cars, mid range are just as good as the big boys in the main. Vans pretty much the same. But large 4x4 tyres and run-flats still have a little catching up to do.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    We’ve got Pirelli’s on our XC90 -21 inch. They’re ok. But I’ll be switching to Michelin’s when I can be bothered. I’ve run them on every 4x4 I’ve had for the last 10 years and think they are superior.

And as a general comment; On cars, mid range are just as good as the big boys in the main. Vans pretty much the same. But large 4x4 tyres and run-flats still have a little catching up to do.
    Same here on current wheels Dave

Just fancy a spare set with smaller wheels.

Jim

Master
    My understanding is that it is better to have all 4 tyres the same, or at least all 4 M&S, same brand on same axle. Smaller wheels sounds like a good idea tho, the 22s can be crashy over potholes.
    I can't give a direct comparison as I have had Pirelli scorpion Verde on each SUV thay I have owned (mk1 evoque, disco sport, XC90 - I don't regard the Macan as an SUV) and each have been great in snow. I would say that the JLR stuff handled tough conditions a little better, but that's another story. Back in my pre daddy days, when I enjoyed my 2 seat convertibles, I ran a set of continental winter tyres on a boxster S and found them excellent, especially with frosty roads.
    In any case enjoy the XC90, lovely comfy vehicle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Rob. I agree the optimum is same, matching tyres on the 4 corners.

So far so good. Very different from Q7. But then much newer!

Jim

My understanding is that it is better to have all 4 tyres the same, or at least all 4 M&S, same brand on same axle. Smaller wheels sounds like a good idea tho, the 22s can be crashy over potholes.
    I can't give a direct comparison as I have had Pirelli scorpion Verde on each SUV thay I have owned (mk1 evoque, disco sport, XC90 - I don't regard the Macan as an SUV) and each have been great in snow. I would say that the JLR stuff handled tough conditions a little better, but that's another story. Back in my pre daddy days, when I enjoyed my 2 seat convertibles, I ran a set of continental winter tyres on a boxster S and found them excellent, especially with frosty roads.
    In any case enjoy the XC90, lovely comfy vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Cheers Rob. I agree the optimum is same, matching tyres on the 4 corners.

So far so good. Very different from Q7. But then much newer!

Jim
    Why did you decide to go for the XC90 rather than getting a newer Q7? I’m guessing you liked your old one if you kept it for 10 years.

I’m only asking as both are in my shortlist but haven’t decided what to go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different tread patterns (effectively, different tyres) on the same axle is illegal, isn't it?

Ignore this, it's wrong.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 1st November 2021 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Different tread patterns (effectively, different tyres) on the same axle is illegal, isn't it?
    Wouldn’t that make use of spare illegal in many cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wouldn’t that make use of spare illegal in many cases?
    A good point, well made.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Why did you decide to go for the XC90 rather than getting a newer Q7? I’m guessing you liked your old one if you kept it for 10 years.

I’m only asking as both are in my shortlist but haven’t decided what to go for.

Hi dashfield

We have had Audis consistently since 1988 and finally got bored. I’ve visited the 4 big German marques’ factories in Germany and came away, most sadly given our loyalty, unimpressed by Audi. In addition, local dealers were getting shoddy when it came to servicing. Everything became a fight and challenge. So moved to Volvo. I still have an S5 convertible and A6 biturbo diesel so not gone away completely YET!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hi dashfield

We have had Audis consistently since 1988 and finally got bored. I’ve visited the 4 big German marques’ factories in Germany and came away, most sadly given our loyalty, unimpressed by Audi. In addition, local dealers were getting shoddy when it came to servicing. Everything became a fight and challenge. So moved to Volvo. I still have an S5 convertible and A6 biturbo diesel so not gone away completely YET!!

Jim
    Thanks Jim, that’s really useful. I really like the XC90 so I’ll give it a test drive.

What mpg are you getting on the XC90?

Mines at about 40mpg but that is with a fully charged battery and the T8.

Master
    I average 29/30 in a B5 petrol, mid 30s on longer run.

Master
    Blog Entries

Too early to tell. I’ll revert when worked out!

Jim

Mines at about 40mpg but that is with a fully charged battery and the T8.

Gosh that’s a lot lower than Volvo claim! I almost brought one of the T8’s but couldn’t get on with sound of the engine. How do you find it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Gosh that’s a lot lower than Volvo claim! I almost brought one of the T8’s but couldn’t get on with sound of the engine. How do you find it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I love it. Do 90% of my driving locally on the battery range, then when going further afield it's fun to let rip with the Polestar upgrade.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking at getting set of Land Rover Evoque 19” wheels for winter use.

This car must be good. Mrs McB can operate the high level software and clever things.

Took car back to dealers today as the £299 I paid for LifeShine AutoGlym wasn’t applied on purchase!! Similarly the oil level was OVERFILLED so car sprung a warning light. Not best pleased and most disappointed by dealership. Hey ho, cest la vie!

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got nice set of evoque 19” wheels that for XC90. Ideal for winter and will enable me to preserve the 22” wheels on the car at the mo.

Job for tomorrow!

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our original and genuine Audi 21” wheels in truly excellent condition are now up for sale. Shod with 7mm tread Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Jim