closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Dealer Cash Discount?

Master

Car Dealer Cash Discount?

I've just bought a used car at the full asking price....................... for the first time in my life! The dealer was adamant that the price on the screen was the price that I would pay. I asked if I could have a discount for no MOT and no warranty or service and he said that he would knock £200 off the price, so I paid full price for peace of mind! Luckily, I shopped around to find a low miles example that was spotless throughout (even underneath - Yes, I looked!). Phew! I even handed the keys back and walked away, fully expecting him to call after me but he didn't! Hard times!

Master
    I went through the buying process last month and it was like you wanted there wife for the night asking to get money off.
    I asked them about how the new reg has affected them, he said they usually do 15 cars per salesman, he had done 1 new for the month as they couldn’t get the stock to sell. Couldn’t even get car mats out of them as 1 was missing so the set came from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought my current car last Spring, before all the current hysteria, and was told by the salesman as a new car cash buyer with no part-ex and no interest in PCP I was the worst kind of customer as far as his dealership were concerned.

Blog Entries
    They don’t want to sell a car , they want to sell finance.

in this market no chance of a discount, my 2 year old car is worth more than I paid for it .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    They don’t want to sell a car , they want to sell finance.

in this market no chance of a discount, my 2 year old car is worth more than I paid for it .
    Good grief, on the strength of that I punched my car into webuyanycar and they came back with 15.7k. I paid 15k in oct 19 brand new. Its a Dacia duster not a Rolex!!

Master
    I purchased a car in July and managed about 3-4% off the advertised price. This was before they really prepped it mind and so they saved the costs of advertising and photos etc. To be honest, I have never managed that much off a used car at any time despite being a reasonable negotiator generally but I guess that is because I don't generally bother with cars which I consider are overpriced in the first place!

Interestingly, I got in touch with the previous owner about it and found he was paid around 6.5% less than I paid for it from the dealer but with that margin, they fitted a new battery, removed some wrap from trim, put it through an MOT and transported it from Norfolk to Dorset never mind the usual costs of trading...

Journeyman
    The Rolex effect but cars. Can't get one new so used prices are going mad!

Master
    Was at a Lambo dealer today, they are full sold out of all their New car allocation to end of 2022! Best year they’ve ever had.

In context that’s 35 new cars and 35 used cars per year….must be a very dull job one to 2 cars a week turnover,

I've just purchased a '19 plate Toyota at a main dealer, any discount? not a chance!
    Very keen to sell a wax coating and service plans though... all politely declined.

Zero chance at all.

Cash buyers have zero leverage at all currently.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Not used, new factory order, but just got 11.5% off list for a new mini for the wife, cash purchase, cheaper than a 2yr old one from most dealers

Master
    I’ve just sold my 66 plate Jeep Renegade to WeBuyAnyCar. It went away last night.
    I bought it from a Jeep dealer pre-owned at the start of 2018, part of their approved used stock which Jeep had registered to themselves for the first 18mths of its life.
    I took it on PCP and had expected maybe to have £500 equity in it at the end of the deal.

The balloon payment isn’t due for another 6 months, but WBAC offered us only £1000 less than what we bought it for in 2018 so decided to cash in. PCP paid off and £5k back in our pocket… crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Not used, new factory order, but just got 11.5% off list for a new mini for the wife, cash purchase, cheaper than a 2yr old one from most dealers
    New factory orders are a strange one, currently. There are discounts on new but delivery times are getting pushed back constantly.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Just put a deposit on a new BMW, and got around 11.5% off and due in at the end of the month. There are some new cars out there

I bought my two-and-a-bit year old car last month at an independent dealer for cash plus a £12k part-exchange and couldn't get a penny off the price.

My old car was on their website the next week for £15.5k. I only paid a grand more than that for it over five years ago.

My 2.5 year old RR Velar with 14k miles on the clock is now valued at 90% of what I paid for it new and that represents a 50% increase in the WBAC value quoted to me at the start of the Pandemic. Madness.

Master
    I got 3 free services thrown in with my new car

My daughter has just got a Ford Puma; we managed to get £1850 off list, two free services, paint protection, floor mats and a full tank of petrol thrown in at no cost and Gap insurance for £120 (normally £399).

I thought it was a decent deal but it wasn’t easy.

Meanwhile, the value of our GLC has risen by £7k this year. Another £7k and it will have cost us nothing over three years and 50,000 miles.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 18th September 2021 at 08:47.

I paid for a deposit on a used Macan last September , was paying outright, didn’t take any of the extras , two days later dealer rang and gave me my deposit back. Said he wasn’t making enough out of me unless I took extras. In the meantime I had a reply on my WTB on the Macan forums so I was actually ok about it in the end , but at the time was furious.

I didn’t get any money off the cars listed priced too. But it was the fact I wasn’t taking finance , paint protection etc

Hairdressers husband has a SVR F type
    It’s worth.... wait for it
    £17k more than he paid for it
    I was sceptical but have seen the offer
    He’s chipped it for a Range which has cost him next to nothing in real terms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not sure why people are still taking Gap insurance in todays market.
    As the value of 2nd hand cars is so high the gap between a new car and one 1 month old is pretty negligible so the market value of your car should be pretty much the sum insured at.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I paid for a deposit on a used Macan last September , was paying outright, didn’t take any of the extras , two days later dealer rang and gave me my deposit back. Said he wasn’t making enough out of me unless I took extras. In the meantime I had a reply on my WTB on the Macan forums so I was actually ok about it in the end , but at the time was furious.

I didn’t get any money off the cars listed priced too. But it was the fact I wasn’t taking finance , paint protection etc
    I would have been livid. I wonder what the FCA would have to say about that re Treating Customers Fairly aka payment type discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not sure why people are still taking Gap insurance in todays market. As the value of 2nd hand cars is so high the gap between a new car and one 1 month old is pretty negligible so the market value of your car should be pretty much the sum insured at.
    Good point.

I am sceptical of these webuyanycar offers, but I ran my humble Fiat Panda 4x4 through it, and they’re quoting a whopping £106 more than I paid for it new last year. The Milky Bars are on me!

as already said, car dealers make all their money from finance these days so not often you will get any discount for cash , not a good time to buy used cars at the moment due to prices - cars i were looking at 2 yrs ago are now 2+ k higher for the same reg.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would have been livid. I wonder what the FCA would have to say about that re Treating Customers Fairly aka payment type discrimination
    I was at first, but then I thought realistically my options were poor, the owner of the dealership was an idiot, I didn’t trust him to do the required work for hand over , any issues I doubt he would have been helpful . I was just glad I found a much , much better specced one privately .

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I was at first, but then I thought realistically my options were poor, the owner of the dealership was an idiot, I didn’t trust him to do the required work for hand over , any issues I doubt he would have been helpful . I was just glad I found a much , much better specced one privately .
    I'm with you, I would have bought elsewhere too but also would have been sorely tempted to report them for being cowboys. You cannot pressure someone into taking finance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I’ve just sold my 66 plate Jeep Renegade to WeBuyAnyCar. It went away last night.
    I bought it from a Jeep dealer pre-owned at the start of 2018, part of their approved used stock which Jeep had registered to themselves for the first 18mths of its life.
    I took it on PCP and had expected maybe to have £500 equity in it at the end of the deal.

The balloon payment isn’t due for another 6 months, but WBAC offered us only £1000 less than what we bought it for in 2018 so decided to cash in. PCP paid off and £5k back in our pocket… crazy.

what are WeBuyAnyCar. like to deal with? - do they bank transfer before you give them tte keys - I suppose I'm asking How do you do it with them ? Is the money from we buy any car or from a garage ?

Thanks

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    what are WeBuyAnyCar. like to deal with? - do they bank transfer before you give them tte keys - I suppose I'm asking How do you do it with them ? Is the money from we buy any car or from a garage ?

Thanks

B
    You take the car to them, they check it over and offer you a final figure. Should you accept the figure, they do the paperwork and you leave the car with them. The cash is paid in to your bank within a few days unless you choose to pay a premium to have the cash transferred the same day (or next if it’s late in the day).

WBAC buy the car, not a third party.

Master
    ^^^^^^^

Thanks Dave

Bian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You take the car to them, they check it over and offer you a final figure. Should you accept the figure, they do the paperwork and you leave the car with them. The cash is paid in to your bank within a few days unless you choose to pay a premium to have the cash transferred the same day (or next if it’s late in the day).

WBAC buy the car, not a third party.
    What's the reason for immediately paid vs paid in 4 days? Is it purely a revenue generating thing, or can WBAC chip you down further if they found something else during the 4 days between sale and paid?

I don’t know.

Unfortunately I’m not privy to their policy decisions.

Master
    What I don’t get with WBAC - they’ve offered me £34,000 for my X3 (that was 2 days ago - they keep emailing me so I tapped in the details again out of curiosity) and checking the equivalent spec on the BMW approved car section, they are going for £36,000 to £39,000, so where’s their profit?

I’m guessing they will knock me down on price but I don’t see how they can sell it for near to what bmw direct can?

WBAC are owned by BCA.

I think they make their money on the fees they charge the seller at WBAC and the fees they charge the buyer at BCA.

The car itself is largely irrelevant.

Master
    WBAC are also part of the same group as Cinch… so they have that as a route for reselling also.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Just put a deposit on a new BMW, and got around 11.5% off and due in at the end of the month. There are some new cars out there
    I’ve just taken delivery of a new 4 series. Had to shop around a bit but got 12% off list for a car taken from BMW UK stock. They also matched WBOC offer for my car.

The sales guy told me that they’d had a good September and that stock although limited is there at the moment.

It appears at the moment that some manufacturers have bigger stock issues than others. Mercedes didn’t have one E class cab (my old car) available in the UK and wouldn’t commit to a delivery timescale let alone a discount last month.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 18th September 2021 at 20:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I’ve just taken delivery of a new 4 series. Had to shop around a bit but got 12% off list for a car taken from BMW UK stock. They also matched WBOC offer for my car.

The sales guy told me that they’d had a good September and that stock although limited is there at the moment.

It appears at the moment that some manufacturers have bigger stock issues than others. Mercedes didn’t have one E class cab (my old car) available in the UK and wouldn’t commit to a delivery timescale let alone a discount last month.

I looked also at Audi and Mercedes and there was some stock, but didn’t get the impression there were decent discounts. I was initially looking at the 8 series, and had some really strong discounts - over 20%, but ended up going with an X7 (bit of a difference) 😂

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I looked also at Audi and Mercedes and there was some stock, but didn’t get the impression there were decent discounts. I was initially looking at the 8 series, and had some really strong discounts - over 20%, but ended up going with an X7 (bit of a difference) 😂
    I’d have loved an 8 series cab but just couldn’t stretch to it. Sytners in Nottingham had a lovely blue one in when I first went in to look at the 4 series.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I’d have loved an 8 series cab but just couldn’t stretch to it. Sytners in Nottingham had a lovely blue one in when I first went in to look at the 4 series.

Test drove the cab, but was looking at the coupe in sunset orange 🍊

WBAC offered £250 less for my 12yo V70 than they did 6 months ago. Barstads.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I've just bought a used car at the full asking price....................... for the first time in my life! The dealer was adamant that the price on the screen was the price that I would pay. I asked if I could have a discount for no MOT and no warranty or service and he said that he would knock £200 off the price, so I paid full price for peace of mind! Luckily, I shopped around to find a low miles example that was spotless throughout (even underneath - Yes, I looked!). Phew! I even handed the keys back and walked away, fully expecting him to call after me but he didn't! Hard times!
    Similar experience….been looking at 1-2 year old cars at main dealers. Most wouldn’t budge a penny on asking price, one would knock off £750 from an asking price of £58,500 but the car was already over priced. Offered to take finance if they could move on price (with intention of then paying it off straight away) but apparently it’s illegal for them to offer a better deal for someone taking finance 🤷*♂️ Tried getting extra year warranty thrown in, no sir that will be £500 extra.

One car I was looking at has been for sale for months, asking price was £54,995 and they’ve just increased it to £58,000 bonkers.

We buy any car send the average cars to BCA and the good stuff goes to Cinch I believe. As mentioned above all part of same group. I can’t work out how they’re making money either.

I sold our Suzuki Jimny to WBAC last month. 2 and a half years old, 6,000 miles and we got 38% more than we bought it for! We paid £18,500 for it new and received £25,684. I know the Jimny is a popular car, but the price paid by WBAC was comparable to the prices being asked in AutoTrader etc but without any of the hassle of selling privately.

Master
    Cash hasn't been King at a dealership for a a while now, money is made from finance kickbacks and extras. The best you can hope for is a good deal on any trade in but I'd certainly do everything I could to avoid changing cars for the next year or two unless you are willing to drive about in a banger for a couple of years. I've heard of people ending their lease and being stuck without a car - or a poor choice of one.
    I bought mine a year ago and it's currently worth more than the finance so I'm keeping it - I like it and replacing it would cost even more.

Master
    I paid 7.5k for my 2011 MX5 just over two years ago. Looking at prices now I'd need around 11k to buy the same car today.

Prior to that I looked at a 2016 MX5 with 35k miles for 13.5k from a Mazda dealer. Pistonheads featured an almost identical car in an article last week titled the best sportscars to buy for 20k.

It's a sellers market for sure.