closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Portugieser problem - stopping overnight

Threaded View

Craftsman

IWC Portugieser problem - stopping overnight

I recently bought a brand new Portugieser Automatic 40 (IWC 82200 Calibre), which supposedly has a 60 hour power reserve. However, I have noticed that once I take it off, it stops well within the 60 hours. As an experiment, I waited until it had stopped, then put it on my watch winder for two days. This got it going. I then wore it yesterday evening, and then took it off about 22:30. It stopped at 07:30 this morning. So it only ran for about nine hours. A similar thing happens when I manually wind it last thing at night - it is touch and go whether it will keep going through the night.

I have checked it for magnetism using Lepsi - no magnetism. After manually winding it just now, it did not want to run at first, I had to tilt it a few times to get it going. The movement is definitely very finicky.

This is my second experience of this type of behaviour from this model. I returned a previous example (from a different dealer) for a full refund; at the time I assumed the watch was faulty, especially as it had been in stock for who knows how long. However, my current Portugieser is new from the factory - I received it 01/09/2021 after a six week wait for IWC to release it for export to the UK.

Out of all of my watches, this is by far my favourite in design and style, just the flipping thing keeps stopping! I am not sure what to do. Does anyone else have experience of this calibre? Am I not winding it properly? The fact that my watch winder got it going from stopped suggests the winder was set up correctly. Is the movement "wearing in" and will improve over time? Is that a thing? Or is it faulty? This is hard to believe as this is the second one in a row with this problem. It must have been fully quality checked before it left the IWC factory a few weeks ago, so if I return it to IWC for evaluation, what more are they going to do that did not already do when it left the factory?
    Last edited by Tatters; 17th September 2021 at 09:52.