closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Drifting/car control

Drifting/car control

Can anyone recommend a car control course? I don't mean pipe smoking advance driver boredom, I mean oversteer skillz, drifting and holding a slide. Must be teaching in your own car , it's for me

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Depends.

I've found rallying is the best way of honing your skills when the car is over the limit.

There are a whole host of skills which you'll pick up - drifting is relatively straightforward if it's just power oversteer. Rallying will help you with roll oversteer and lift off oversteer too. Plus handbrake turns, Scandinavian flicks and other techniques.

I would recommend you don't use your own car until you're proficient. The cars I've rallied are properly set up and easier to use.

Try your local rally school - there are a few dotted about.

In your own car? Would your insurance cover that?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    In your own car? Would your insurance cover that?
    Yes if it's not a trackday, which it won't be

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Depends.

I've found rallying is the best way of honing your skills when the car is over the limit.

There are a whole host of skills which you'll pick up - drifting is relatively straightforward if it's just power oversteer. Rallying will help you with roll oversteer and lift off oversteer too. Plus handbrake turns, Scandinavian flicks and other techniques.

I would recommend you don't use your own car until you're proficient. The cars I've rallied are properly set up and easier to use.

Try your local rally school - there are a few dotted about.
    I've done many trackdays and been in with instructors etc but this is different , I just want instruction in my own car

Car Limits, Andy Walsh, you won’t find better

If you just want to put a car on the lock stops and look out of the passenger window I’ll show you
    Last edited by adrianw; 16th September 2021 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I've done many trackdays and been in with instructors etc but this is different , I just want instruction in my own car

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Car Limits, Andy Walsh, you won’t find better

If you just want to put a car on the lock stops and look out of the passenger window I’ll show you
    This guy?

https://www.carlimits.com/

This guy?

https://www.carlimits.com/

Yes, give him a call and tell him what you want

Provided it's powerful RWD you'll be fine. The skills are transferable. Much cheaper to use up someone else's clutch and tyres.

Good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Provided it's powerful RWD you'll be fine. The skills are transferable. Much cheaper to use up someone else's clutch and tyres.

Good luck though.
    MX5 with a bit more power

Thruxton do skid pan courses in your own car I think. I wouldn’t do drifting on a dry track in your own car unless you take spare tyres to get home

I enjoyed the Mercedes world c63s experience on the oval and straight skid pans, and track, if you’re happy to learn in someone else’s car. Otherwise any big roundabout with runoff will do (joking).

Master

Exclamation

MX5 with a bit more power
    They can require an armful of opposite lock if really pushed even with a standard engine - our one last Sunday at a sprint:-

NB - I had a day's one to one tuition with Andy on a track a few years ago - well, well worth it IMHO
    Last edited by stiglet; 16th September 2021 at 20:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Walshys carlimits stuff is a great way to start if you’re a novice, you’ll learn how to brake, steer, slide and trail brake etc. Good for road driving as much as track.

If you want to step up go for CAT training. Much more of a deep dive depending on what you need, showing you advanced techniques like weight transfer, or race craft and positioning for overtakes or defending etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    They can require an armful of opposite lock if really pushed even with a standard engine - our one last Sunday at a sprint:-

NB - I had a day's one to one tuition with Andy on a track a few years ago - well, well worth it IMHO
    Thanks, mines an NC