closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice pricing a quartz Omega SMP 1988

Journeyman

Advice pricing a quartz Omega SMP 1988

As title says, I'd like some advice if possible on what an appropriate price might be for an old SMP I want to sell.

Its just not getting wear, largely as I'm not a fan of bracelets and it's not strappable (if that's a word).

Pics attached if I can work the tech. Papers but no box.

Models from 1988 but bought by a squaddie in '90 during first gulf conflict. i then bought it from Austin Kaye on the Strand just over a decade ago.

Plenty of dings and desk diving marks, it's lived in, but still a beaut. Some lume left too, with a pic showing the hands glow in a dim corner.

Picked it up this morning after a full service and battery change as wanted to make sure was OK before selling.

So any and all useful advice appreciated.

Rgds

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Yarrow; 16th September 2021 at 17:03. Reason: spelling and clarity

Grand Master
    A couple of points to clarify:

What size is it? I'm almost certain its the smaller 35-36mm, I have a bimetal full-size that's approx. 39mm, based on the position of the date window (closer to the minute track that mine) yours looks smaller.

What was done at the service? was the movement fully stripped down, cleaned and re-oiled?

These are factors that will affect the value. I suggest you look at completed sales on eBay and use that as a guide, but be sure you're looking at the same size. There were two versions of this watch, later ones have a slightly thicker bezel and dagger hands, I don`t think there's any difference in value. At this age condition is key.

Journeyman
    Thanks, very good points. Will ask dealer to confirm what service entailed.

Its a mid size.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Nothing to add other than I miss Austin Kaye.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A couple of points to clarify:

What size is it? I'm almost certain its the smaller 35-36mm, I have a bimetal full-size that's approx. 39mm, based on the position of the date window (closer to the minute track that mine) yours looks smaller.

What was done at the service? was the movement fully stripped down, cleaned and re-oiled?

These are factors that will affect the value. I suggest you look at completed sales on eBay and use that as a guide, but be sure you're looking at the same size. There were two versions of this watch, later ones have a slightly thicker bezel and dagger hands, I don`t think there's any difference in value. At this age condition is key.
    It had a full strip and oil, I finally remembered to check with the jewellers.

Yes it's the mid size, from what I can tell made in 1988 but with a movement used from 89 onwards.

I did the eBay trawling and its condition and with papers, but no box, suggests £850 is reasonable.

Will pop it in sales thread soon.

Regards,
    Si

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Nothing to add other than I miss Austin Kaye.
    It’s a shame about Austin Kaye (insolvency?). I guess the lockdowns can’t have helped bricks and mortars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    It’s a shame about Austin Kaye (insolvency?). I guess the lockdowns can’t have helped bricks and mortars.
    Didn’t they go under before lockdown? I seem to remember them going in 2019. It was a nice shop, some good stock but strong prices. I did pick up a bargain or 2 from there though.
    Edit looks as if it was Dec 2019 / Jan2020
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th December 2021 at 09:36.