closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap bicycle advice ...

Master

Cheap bicycle advice ...

I could use some counsel in this regard and know that there are a lot of cyclists on here (some of whom have been kind enough to help me out in the past when wheels were stolen).

My son, now 6'1", needs a new bike mainly for the school run. Of course he thinks MTBs are cool but I've persuaded him that he's better off on a hybrid for the use it'll get. I thought it would be easy enough to find a decent used one for under £200 in one of the local shops but they have nothing. There's nothing on eBay very local; we've missed a couple on Gumtree, but so many of the ads are discouragingly dodgy, and you always fear being wrestled to the ground by the guy from whom it was stolen ...

So I've begun to wonder if we might have to spend a bit more and just get a new one. I know you get what you pay for - and a bit of Googling tells me that e.g. the Apollos sold by Halfords are to be avoided. So which are the best / least-worst of the low-end brands? Thanks for any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I could use some counsel in this regard and know that there are a lot of cyclists on here (some of whom have been kind enough to help me out in the past when wheels were stolen).

My son, now 6'1", needs a new bike mainly for the school run. Of course he thinks MTBs are cool but I've persuaded him that he's better off on a hybrid for the use it'll get. I thought it would be easy enough to find a decent used one for under £200 in one of the local shops but they have nothing. There's nothing on eBay very local; we've missed a couple on Gumtree, but so many of the ads are discouragingly dodgy, and you always fear being wrestled to the ground by the guy from whom it was stolen ...

So I've begun to wonder if we might have to spend a bit more and just get a new one. I know you get what you pay for - and a bit of Googling tells me that e.g. the Apollos sold by Halfords are to be avoided. So which are the best / least-worst of the low-end brands? Thanks for any thoughts.

Decathalon are good but limited in stock

Where are you in UK?

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    Decathalon are good but limited in stock
    Thanks Mike (have also PMd).

Master
    Bordman or Carrera are decent for the price. Bikes are in short supply and high demand at the moment so you might struggle but there are good deals to be had....keep looking and post any you fancy buying up on here for comments/advice👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm far from a bike expert but I recently bought a couple of 1990's steel framed mountain bikes from the Bike Barn Workshop - a part-time one man band enthusiast who loves sourcing and doing up vintage bikes. I live near enough to the workshop to drive over and pick up my purchases - both fully serviced (new tyres and cables, pulled apart, cleaned greased/oiled and put back together) - but he will post within the UK.

I wanted vintage to a) get a steel frame and b) have a simpler MTB with no front suspension - they are for riding on local lanes and trails rather than anything more demanding.

Here is the link to the shop in case of interest https://www.bikebarnworkshop.co.uk/shop

Where are you based
    ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Decathlon should be your first port of call, excellent bikes for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I ride a hybrid, and for me it is ideal for commuting on roads: the gearing is suitable for decent road speed (unlike MTBs), and the upright position is more comfortable with a better view (unlike road/racing bikes). I recommend buying it with full mud guards and a rear rack already fitted - useful for a pannier. Any decent, local independent should be able to sort this out for you.

I have also fitted a mirrycle mirror, which is a brilliant safety device as it gives you a great rear view, especially of overtaking cars. And don’t forget a decent cycling helmet, security lock and lights.

Master
    Thanks to everyone for the replies - have PMd where appropriate - it is indeed looking like a new one from Decathlon might be the way to go.

Have you seen the bike listed on SC? It might just be perfect if the size is okay?

Master
    Many thanks for your vigilance yumma, a size too small that one but am def/y looking at s/h Carreras.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Many thanks for your vigilance yumma, a size too small that one but am def/y looking at s/h Carreras.
    I bought a barely-used Carrera Subway 1 back in lockdown one and it's been superb. Tight frame response, excellent gearing, brakes, punture proof tyres, lightweight. The only thing wrong is a hand grip keeps working loose but I haven't got round to buying a new pair.

I've taken it off-road a few times, nothing too hazardous but woody hills and trails, and it's coped well. He could do far worse for the money.

If he really wants an MTB, I go for one and put slick tyres on it for his commuting. Then in school hols I'd put the MTB tyres then he can hit the trails.

Commuted on the above for about 8 years / 12 mile round trip. Felt more stable / hardy than hybrids I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The only thing wrong is a hand grip keeps working loose but I haven't got round to buying a new pair.

Assuming it's not a lock-on grip then hairspray is the best thing to stop it moving

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

Here is the link to the shop in case of interest https://www.bikebarnworkshop.co.uk/shop
    Ooh, those guys are really local to me, that'll turn out to be handy.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I have always thought the gearing on MTBs was too low speed for road use, so you have to pedal a lot more to reach the same speed compared to a hybrid. It is a bit like buying a 4 x 4 car and only ever driving on roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I have always thought the gearing on MTBs was too low speed for road use, so you have to pedal a lot more to reach the same speed compared to a hybrid. It is a bit like buying a 4 x 4 car and only ever driving on roads.

If you're pedalling at 90 RPM using a GX Eagle gearing then your speed in the top gear (32T x 10) will be about 24mph. Older gearing with a triple would have a 40T ring and a 11 or 12 tooth cassette which gives you a speed at 90RPM of 25-27MPH.

If you're looking to go much quicker than that then I'd suggest a road bike would be a better option.

It might be worth looking into your employer's bike/cycle to work scheme of you have one. A £300 bike would be £204 (or less if you are a higher tax payer).

Master
    Thanks everyone for their thoughts and advice (and various PMs) - he's ordered a hybrid from Decathlon (Riverside 120) so hopefully we're sorted. I would never have thought of Decathlon for bikes, so another thumbs-up for the TZ collective. Cheers.