closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Microfibre cloths ?

Journeyman

Microfibre cloths ?

Any suggestions on microfibre cloths for removing finger marks and smears on watch including the crystal ?
    (Not polishing cloths as I have cape cod)

I ordered some on eBay and they aren't suitable as they are almost like satin.
    And my car/household cloths aren't fine enough.

I use the little cloths you get with specs.
    Work a treat.
    Companies like watch gecko send them out with each order.

Journeyman
    Personally I use a Chamois or a glass polishing cloth. E-Cloth or Jantek are good, there are versions with a suede like pill that I find are best.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Work a treat.
    My spec wipes are useless too! Just like satin type material.

I have a watch gecko cloth and that's the sort of cloth I'm looking for.
    I got mine free with a watch strap but can't see any to buy on their website?

Master
    Yep this, or a clean soft towel or t-shirt.

Work a treat.

I've bought these from Amazon. 12 for a tenner, very nice indeed. Easily washable and I use them to wrap the watch heads when storing.

MR.SIGA Premium Microfibre Cleaning Cloths for Lens, Eyeglasses, Screens, Tablets, Glasses, 12 Pack, 6 x 7 inches (15 x 18 cm), Navy/Gray
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    I’ve been through most of the premium microfibres because I was a bit obsessed with detailing the garage queen but one stands out as by far the softest and most dense in my experience. That is the ‘Fender premium plush’. It is a gorgeous cloth for watches, nitro-cellulose finishea or over-fussed cars. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

I always like to keep just enough alcohol on my breath too so a quick blow on the watch will loosen the grease 😋

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've bought these from Amazon. 12 for a tenner, very nice indeed. Easily washable and I use them to wrap the watch heads when storing.

MR.SIGA Premium Microfibre Cleaning Cloths for Lens, Eyeglasses, Screens, Tablets, Glasses, 12 Pack, 6 x 7 inches (15 x 18 cm), Navy/Gray
    Are these like the watch gecko cloths they give out with watch straps etc ? they have a suede like finish ?

They seems to have a satin like appearance similar to the ones i have already.

Master
    As well as the glasses cleaning style of microfibres I have tried some “Optical Lens Wipes” which I think came from Aldi. They are fine cloths with a small degree of glass cleaning product on them, sealed in individual sachets. Description says “easily remove oil, dust and fingerprints”. A quick wipe over the crystal and case makes it sparkle (polished surfaces) and can also be used for glasses and iPhone screen afterwards.

Given I have small children who reach for my watch quite often they are a godsend as better than microfibres without resorting to water!

Ant

Master
    The ones that work don’t have a satin texture, try the thick microfibres cleaning cloths from the house cleaning section of any supermarket, they’ll be somewhere near floor mops and so on. They are much thicker, more like a towel. Those ones work miracles on watches, and are also good for glasses and iPads. It feels a bit daft writing so passionately about it here but once discovered you can’t do without them, and those useless thin things will go in the bin where they belong.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The ones that work don’t have a satin texture, try the thick microfibres cleaning cloths from the house cleaning section of any supermarket, they’ll be somewhere near floor mops and so on. They are much thicker, more like a towel. Those ones work miracles on watches, and are also good for glasses and iPads. It feels a bit daft writing so passionately about it here but once discovered you can’t do without them, and those useless thin things will go in the bin where they belong.
    Thanks. I agree those thin satin finish cloths are useless!
    I have a pack of m8ctifibre cloths already but I use them for household cleaning.
    They seem a bit course to use on my very very shiny squale gallasse. I've scratched it already just by putting work gloves on and the inside of the cuff catching the lug area.
    Polished out now with captain cod.

Master

Microfibre cloths ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyv View Post
    I have a pack of m8ctifibre cloths already but I use them for household cleaning.
    They seem a bit course to use on my very very shiny squale gallasse. I've scratched it already just by putting work gloves on and the inside of the cuff catching the lug area.
    Don’t worry, they may seem ‘course’ but in my experience they don’t scratch anything, they just have a lot of soft fluffy microfibres which is what you want. Try it on the back first if you’re feeling nervous about it. I use them on everything, they will have polished areas gleaming, the only issue is that brushed areas look so clean and new, you may want them to pick up a little dirt again to look worn in.

*punctuation removed by Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No way in hell I would touch one of my watches with household cleaning cloths. There are huge differences between the cloths for your kitchen sink and the ones meant for fine, easily swirled, surfaces. Vs the cost of your watch it is a false economy using bargain basement cloths.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    No way in hell I would touch one of my watches with household cleaning cloths. There are huge differences between the cloths for your kitchen sink and the ones meant for fine, easily swirled, surfaces. Vs the cost of your watch it is a false economy using bargain basement cloths.
    They are actually recommended for polishing jewellery, which they do extraordinarily well. It would be quite hard for soft microfibres to actually scratch metal. Use a clean one obviously, not one you've been using for other household stuff which might have picked something up. They can be put through the washing machine. If we're talking about the same cloths, they actually mention jewellery on the packet.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 17th September 2021 at 10:36.

For the past ten years or so I've used Selvyt brand cloths (the 'Premium' ones) for the daily, pre-wear wipedown.

http://www.selvyt.co.uk/selvyt-cloths/polishing-cloths/

Panerai used to supply a Selvyt cloth with every watch.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Best not to get too obsessed with micros swirls and the like, or you’ll never wear and enjoy the thing (or wear under a cotton cuff etc).

Any microfibres cloth will do a decent job. I have a couple of those watch gecko ones from buying straps and they are fine for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Best not to get too obsessed with micros swirls and the like, or you’ll never wear and enjoy the thing (or wear under a cotton cuff etc).

Any microfibres cloth will do a decent job. I have a couple of those watch gecko ones from buying straps and they are fine for me.
    Indeed, we're deep into 'I wouldn't wear a Submariner in the rain' territory here!

Master
    I have always used micro fiber cloths from a camera shop, I still have a couple of blue ones from Jessops, they are larger than the watch ones and good quality.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Indeed, we're deep into 'I wouldn't wear a Submariner in the rain' territory here!
    I hear what your saying. I have no problem using my general purpose microfibre cloths on all my watches a part from my new squale gallasse.

It's so highly polished it's almost like a mirror finish.
    Scratches from every day use is ok but I'd rather not scratch it by wearing work gloves or rubbing with a course cloth.

Master
    I hear what your saying. I have no problem using my general purpose microfibre cloths on all my watches a part from my new squale gallasse.

It's so highly polished it's almost like a mirror finish.
    Scratches from every day use is ok but I'd rather not scratch it by wearing work gloves or rubbing with a course cloth.
    They aren't course, they have a thick weave but that's a completely different thing, they're very soft. If a microfibre cloth somehow scratches your watch then it would stand no chance against a jumper or even your shirt. I like to look after my watches but there are limits!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 17th September 2021 at 15:31.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    For the past ten years or so I've used Selvyt brand cloths (the 'Premium' ones) for the daily, pre-wear wipedown.

http://www.selvyt.co.uk/selvyt-cloths/polishing-cloths/

Panerai used to supply a Selvyt cloth with every watch.

Thanks Jim, these look good. Probably similar to the watch gecko free ones in texture.
    I think I'll order a Selvyt cloth or two.

My faves are made by Town Talk
    https://towntalkpolish.com/product/w...lishing-cloth/

Very soft and they wash really well. Compare these to the free ones you get from Watchgecko and the like; it's night and day! Cheap too!

Work a treat.
    This is all I ever use. Using Micro-fibre clothes seem like overstating a point for effect

Craftsman
    Cape Cod sells a soft micro fiber white cloth. It’s good.

These guys are in US but…
    They are very obsessed with providing proper cleaning solutions and cloths.
    Www.wristclean.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk