closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on Omega 2535:80:00 GMT

Journeyman

Opinions on Omega 2535:80:00 GMT

This particular ref has caught my eye recently and I'm wondering what the opinion amongst those in the know is?

I'm considering it, as it seems to me at least to be a very decent piece for what seems reasonable enough money based on market prices.

That makes me think that I may be missing something obvious. This watch strikes me as a very good alternative to an Explorer 2 for considerably less outlay.

I've seen one on an aquaterra rubber recently too that really suited the piece too, strikes me as very flexible piece.

What's the general opinion here?

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think it’s a fair bit of watch for the money, however truth be told I don’t think the design of it is particularly appealing. I think it’s the way they’ve displayed the 24hr scale on the dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    I think it’s a fair bit of watch for the money, however truth be told I don’t think the design of it is particularly appealing. I think it’s the way they’ve displayed the 24hr scale on the dial.
    I totally take on board your point on the 24hr scale,it does make the dial busier than most other GMT.
    But, I totally appreciate why it's been done, it keeps the Bezel itself functional as a dive/countdown bezel and doubles up the utility IMO.
    Now that said?
    It could have been a chapter ring I suppose

Craftsman
    Love it, had one a few years back and regret flogging it. If I could find a good example I’d have one back in a heartbeat and do the micro adjust clasp mod to make it perfect.

It’s a little thicker than the 3 hander as you’d expect, but for my 6.75” wrist that made it a perfect fit. Plus it wasn’t too popular at the time so feels a little special.

In my mind I liked the busy dial as it detracted from what was in my eyes quite a plain standard dial on that era of SMPs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EJ have a very good price on one currently if this is the model you're asking about?

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/2243229/omega+seamaster+diver+stainless+steel+bracelet+wat ch/?cm_mmc=SEM_Google:EJ%7C%7CWatches%7C%7CPrestige%7 C%7CPriority%7C%7COmega%7C%7CHigh:EJ%7C%7CWatches% 7C%7CPrestige%7C%7COmega%20Watch:2243229&_$ja=acid :122-702-5243%7Ccid:1526900537%7Cagid:59100384140%7Ctid:pla-493662141297%7Ccrid:289831118782%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:3038 185484054766818%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:1007149 &gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JDPxOWD8wIVU-J3Ch2KOQ3NEAQYAiABEgJm8PD_BwE

At least appears to be in stock, but you know what EJ are like.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    EJ have a very good price on one currently if this is the model you're asking about?

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/2243229/omega+seamaster+diver+stainless+steel+bracelet+wat ch/?cm_mmc=SEM_Google:EJ%7C%7CWatches%7C%7CPrestige%7 C%7CPriority%7C%7COmega%7C%7CHigh:EJ%7C%7CWatches% 7C%7CPrestige%7C%7COmega%20Watch:2243229&_$ja=acid :122-702-5243%7Ccid:1526900537%7Cagid:59100384140%7Ctid:pla-493662141297%7Ccrid:289831118782%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:3038 185484054766818%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:1007149 &gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JDPxOWD8wIVU-J3Ch2KOQ3NEAQYAiABEgJm8PD_BwE

At least appears to be in stock, but you know what EJ are like.
    Nice watch but not the one I mean, this is the beast I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    Nice watch but not the one I mean, this is the beast I'm talking about.

Ah I see, my personal opinion on that one is it's nice enough, but nothing special. Much prefer the newer one I linked to which I think is a bit of a cracker.

A lovely uncommon watch. At one point I had two of them at the same tine, and sold them off far too cheaply.
    It's just a matter of time...

I wanted to like this one but in the end I couldn’t live with the short GMT hand. My preference is for the 2538.20.

Both very capable and versatile watches.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I wanted to like this one but in the end I couldn’t live with the short GMT hand. My preference is for the 2538.20.

Both very capable and versatile watches.
    I too think that the great white is a much prettier watch with a cleaner look than the blue dial.

I had one, and it was great. If the OP is really after an explorer II, the omega is in principle a better watch - better WR, a more useable bezel, better strap and clasp (not to mention much cheaper) and I felt just as good quality. It is not however an explorer II:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    This particular ref has caught my eye recently and I'm wondering what the opinion amongst those in the know is?

I'm considering it, as it seems to me at least to be a very decent piece for what seems reasonable enough money based on market prices.

That makes me think that I may be missing something obvious. This watch strikes me as a very good alternative to an Explorer 2 for considerably less outlay.

I've seen one on an aquaterra rubber recently too that really suited the piece too, strikes me as very flexible piece.

What's the general opinion here?

Having owned both Omega SMP GMT white and Explorer II I can say that both are good watches.

Omega pros - legibility, bezel, WR. cons - weight and thickness.

Rolex pros - weight, thickness, date magnifier. cons - value, legibility (skinny hands and lume was disappointing), flat crystal.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Having owned both Omega SMP GMT white and Explorer II I can say that both are good watches.

Omega pros - legibility, bezel, WR. cons - weight and thickness.

Rolex pros - weight, thickness, date magnifier. cons - value, legibility (skinny hands and lume was disappointing), flat crystal.
    Thanks for this, indeed thanks to all the commentators but this pro/con is much appreciated.

It would tend to skew me towards the Omega even more tbh. My watches are generally divers and occasionally even see some use for their intended purpose. Or rather they are worn to look cool whilst my dive computer does the actual work.

On the 2538:20 if I was looking for a Rolex Explorer II polar alternative, I'd certainly consider it.
    It's a very solid watch with strong design.

I have a white faced diver in my Sinn U2-W and the blue of the 2535.80 would fit my rotation better I think.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I have a few irons in the fire on the hunt for this and if it pans out I'll be sure to share a wristie.