closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interior designers - when are they worth the money?

Interior designers - when are they worth the money?

We're starting to look at potentially bringing in an interior designer to help with creating a unifying theme through our house. We recently moved from a Victorian two bed terrace that was previously furnished cheaply and cheerfully in our 20s into our long-term family home and the house very much looks like we've just unpacked the old house into half of the new.

I've done a bit of research and the prices are as you would expect - at one end, we can get a £300 package that includes a mood board, mock up of a room and consultation ranging up to ongoing consultancy in the low thousands. I must say, I'm not averse to spending a bit to get some advice, because we do know the sort of style we want, but don't really know where to start. We're both happy decorating, but I think we fall down at furnishing a room or picking furniture that complements so I'd love to hear any advice or tips from people that either have or haven't gone down the route of using an interior designer.

Edit - I should probably add a clarification, we're not looking for anything to be knocked about or rebuilt at all, we're purely looking at soft furnishings, furniture, colours etc. so I don't know if this changes things at all to be less involved from the designers side by not having to project manage. The kitchen units (handmade), bathrooms and current flooring downstairs (due to underfloor heating) will all be staying as they are as they were the only parts of the build that the previous owners actually paid any money out on having done when the house was built 8 years ago. Everywhere else is just off-white walls with grey carpets upstairs (that need replacing due to animal damage) and light oak engineered flooring downstairs (that needs fully sanding and oiling due to neglect).
    Last edited by Gromdal; 15th September 2021 at 12:04.

Master
    In my experience, you need one that knows and works closely with the installation company

Master
    Blog Entries
    We've used one twice (basically because my wife and I can never agree on what we want). Neither charged a fee but they took a slice of the payments we made for the curtains, cushions etc we purchased through them - prices roughly comparable to John Lewis).

Both came up with useful suggestions and ideas - things we probably wouldn't have thought of.

Both had their own contacts for fitting curtain poles and reupholsterers.

Hopefully no more house moves on the horizon but we could well use one again if we do.

Both were found on the web - locally based one woman bands.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I haven’t and never will but I’m slightly obsessed with interiors/architecture/furnishings. I’m a photographer by trade, my partner a printmaker/designer now a creative director (her parents were art/historic buildings restorers) so I’m always looking and taking things in, that said I made a few mistakes like buying a sofa that was too big visually for a room when sorting my flat out but got the rest right.
    I did go a bit OTT in working out the RGB and luminance of the grey I wanted on some of the walls to work with 4000k bulbs and a room not south facing but that’s just a carry over from the attention to detail with my work.
    You say you know what style you want so just make your own moodboard/screengrabs/Pinterest board and take it from there.
    Then just work out if those things can be applied to your space or not.
    I was looking at the modern house on Instagram today and the chap who started that has a book out (think it’s modern living?) he said something that stuck in my mind along the lines of space, light, nature and tactile surfaces. Spend the money on the things you touch like decent rugs, handles, switches, might be worth looking at the book for inspiration.