closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Kinetic owners, battery life?

Craftsman

Seiko Kinetic owners, battery life?

I got my watch back from being serviced and fitted with a new battery but once fully charged (ie 30secs) it only lasts a week before it goes down to 20secs.

Anyone have any ideas how long theirs lasts from a full charge? I mailed the place I got it changed and the wishy washy reply was they are all different. Yeah ok but different by a day or a month, give me a clue.

Oh and if anyone wants to know how to modify a watch winder to charge kinetics I've done it and it's easy so don't go buying a modified one for twice the price.

Just had mine changed by seiko and it’s the same (only £30)
    It shows full charge for a week or 2 and then the charge indicator drops to the next stage.
    These need to be worn on a regular basis

Craftsman
    I’ve had two kinetics and in my experience they would only remain fully charged as long as I wore them daily. If I stopped wearing for few days it would go to the 20 second mark. And this is with a brand new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Mine's far worse than that (its old and probably on its death bed...) so yours sounds like its working fine to me! As people have said, you have to wear it regularly to keep it charged.

Craftsman
    OK good stuff, at least I now know it's normal and charging/discharging as expected.

Grand Master
    much as i love some kinetic models, it seems to me if buying quartz then solar is the way to go these days, bigger power reserves and you can just plonk it on a windowsill if it's a bit low.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    much as i love some kinetic models, it seems to me if buying quartz then solar is the way to go these days, bigger power reserves and you can just plonk it on a windowsill if it's a bit low.
    I agree with this.
    When they were released kinetic were a really good idea, accuracy of quartz but with out the ‘short’ battery life.
    Solar powered watches have really improved in recent years and this is now the best recharging technology for quartz.

Craftsman
    Here's what you do to a charger to get them to charge kinetics.

1. Buy a cheapo charger I got this Time Tutelary KA079 2nd hand off ebay. As this is a permanent change the cheaper the better.

2. Pull out the watch holder part and there is a little electrical connector to disconnect.

3. Remove the 3 screw that will split the drive and driven parts. Get a dremel or something that will take off plastic and remove 2 of the pegs off the drive and 2 of the little castellated parts off the driven mechanism marked in red, 2 minutes of a job.

4. Screw the motor back on , connect the wire and bingo ....... I'm sure the mechanisms are very similar in all of the winders.

No need to thank me now charge all your kinetics easily. Can't upload my little video for some reason, but it works.
    Last edited by spud767; 18th September 2021 at 15:10.

Master
    Basically, Kinetic is a great solution if you are going to wear the watch regularly. If you aren't, then probably don't bother as Solar is almost certainly a better option - as long as you don't leave it in a drawer for 6 months at a time!

Alternatively use a Phillips imageo candle light charger. I use it on my 3 Sun's and works a treat.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    Alternatively use a Phillips imageo candle light charger. I use it on my 3 Sun's and works a treat.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
    I did the same thing when I had a kinetic and it worked a treat. Seems a better solution than a watch winder which will surely knacker the winding mechanism on a kinetic as surely as it will do an automatic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk