closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unified Apple upgrade thread

Craftsman

The unified Apple upgrade thread

I have an Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max and now there’s a new version. It has some notable improvements, but are these in between models worth an upgrade?

I’m undecided and having seen the improvements announced for their other products as well, tv, watch, iPad, this conundrum also applies for those that may have any of these.

What triggers you to upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the one I have becomes no longer supported or breaks. Had a 5, now have an 8, does everything I need and I don't worry too much when I launch it face down in the Amersham Arms.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    When the one I have becomes no longer supported or breaks. Had a 5, now have an 8, does everything I need and I don't worry too much when I launch it face down in the Amersham Arms.

Same here, keep mine until it slows down and begins to annoy. Thinking of upgrading my 6 plus this year.

New one is 5G
    Many people will want that
    I can’t tell the diff if on WiFi so I won’t be swapping my 11 pro max for it

The 12 price will drop
    Of course so many will be selling theirs in the hope that they then don’t have to press up too much money to have the latest “must have”

My current lineup and plans:

Apple Watch Series 5 - considering upgrade to Series 7

iPhone 12 Pro - keep
    2021 12.9" iPad Pro - keep
    2018 11" iPad Pro - keep/trickle down?
    M1 MacBook Air - keep

Currently on an IPhone 7 Plus with an 8 plus as a back up. Not interested in upgrading for now,
    Apple mini 5 as my main search device and may switch to the mini 6

I’ve had the 12 Pro Max and currently the 12 Pro, and I’m not upgrading. The incremental improvements aren’t worth it this time around.

My iPad Pro will last a lot longer yet, no chance of changing that any time soon.

I will get the Watch Series 7 though, as an upgrade from my current Series 5. That’s a bigger jump and easier to justify, mainly for the larger screen and the faster charging.

Master
    Upgrade when they do something interesting, got rid of my 6S to get the 2016 SE as loved the smaller form.

SE to 8 as the price I got one for was daft, but always felt large. 12 Mini for the camera, small form factor & would love it to get the even better camera.

They are daft prices, so only move up when I feel it is worthy of my cash. Pictures on the mini are impressive for what I require & have stopped lugging my ancient DSLR around out & about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to swap every 3-4 years, just got a 12 pro (good deal on the back of todays announcements).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I may get a 13, I’m on a X so the improvements should be fairly significant. Then again, it still works fine so I could wait for the 14.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I may get a 13, I’m on a X so the improvements should be fairly significant. Then again, it still works fine so I could wait for the 14.
    I went from the X to the 12 Pro - battery was at the end of it's life and felt like time for a change. TBH, whilst it's an improvement - it's not a 'wow'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Seems there's generally two camps on this. Camp (1) don't want or need the latest and greatest, so use the phone they have until it stops doing what they need. Camp (2) want the fastest performance, latest hardware etc and are willing to pay to upgrade regularly for these specs. Neither is right/wrong, just depends what you see the purpose of the phone as.

I fall more into camp (2) myself, particularly when it comes to the phone's camera. My initial impression is I can't say I feel particularly compelled to upgrade this time though from my 12 Pro Max. Reserving judgement until I do a bit more research though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    New one is 5G

The 12 price will drop
    Of course so many will be selling theirs in the hope that they then don’t have to press up too much money to have the latest “must have”
    Worth noting the 12 also has 5G, so that's not a new feature for the 13.

I’m on a 12 Pro Max and don’t plan to upgrade - the improvements are very marginal IMO.

I find the annual releases are either iterative or innovative. Either a minor improvement or a huge change.

The 13 seems to be the former.

That said, I’m on an iPhone X that’s starting to feel old-ish, so I’ll be buying one.

It used to be wise to upgrade every year with iPhones. These days it's every four years. Possibly more with iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It used to be wise to upgrade every year with iPhones. These days it's every four years. Possibly more with iPads.
    Depends what you use them for. Compare the camera on a X to a 12. Different leagues. Even 11 to 12 was a big jump.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Same here, keep mine until it slows down and begins to annoy. Thinking of upgrading my 6 plus this year.
    End of November 2020 I upgraded my 6plus to the 12pro max. Exactly the same footprint but screen is huge in comparison and better. Not a fan of the iPhone 4 sharp edges. But fantastic cameras and editing, plus you can use it under water. I’ve taken a video in the breakers on the beach. Epic.
    Took a bit of getting used to, compared to my 6plus which was from 2014 but the screen coming away from frame. Otherwise I’d still use it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I might upgrade the phones. Probably because I’d prefer a Max for writing emails etc., rather than any need of performance or specs over the XS.

I was interested in the Watch 7, but no glucose meter so maybe next year.
    It's just a matter of time...

11 Pro Max 256gb here, and I won't be upgrading until the battery life becomes a hindrance or I break it.

Early 2015 Macbook Pro will have to be upgraded soon as the speakers have shot it and the screen looks like it has delaminated. Still works great other than that though, and that is what is holding me back. It's only really used for the internet.

Master
    I’m usually 3/4 years with my phone but longer with iPad. To be honest the 12 series phone gets used now 90% of the time so I may not bother with iPad going forward. Have a series 6 watch so won’t get the 7

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    11 Pro Max 256gb here, and I won't be upgrading until the battery life becomes a hindrance or I break it.
    +1

Journeyman
    I used to upgrade every year but the pace of change has definitely slowed down a bit. I’m on a 12 Pro Max and the announcement barely registered with me this year!

Nope
    My iPhone 11 Pro replaced my 6s and I will keep it until it's no longer supported or stops working
    I have a 2017 iPad, Series 3 watch and a Late 2013 iMac and have no reason to change any of them, although I am considering a Series 7 watch depending on what the new cyling features are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    New one is 5G

The 12 price will drop

Isn't the iPhone 12 range already 5G?

Edit - Sorry just saw post#12 mention it.
    Last edited by classics; 15th September 2021 at 15:04.

Just swapped an 8 for a 12 mini. Definitely worth the upgrade for the camera, screen and the battery life. It is actually smaller than the 8 with a bigger screen, so perfect pocket size. Not particularly into phones so will be keeping for a few years like I did with the 8.

Bit bored with it all currently - recently changed my gen 1 ipad pro for the m1 version.
    Should be good for many years.

I would be interested in the watch when it can do blood sugar readings on the fly.
    Phone wise I try and keep them a few years - i am discovering i dont need many features - it mainly comes down to a good screen and good battery life 👍

cheers

matt

Given the rush of Apple products on Sales Corner, I guess a few folk are considering upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Just swapped an 8 for a 12 mini. Definitely worth the upgrade for the camera, screen and the battery life. It is actually smaller than the 8 with a bigger screen, so perfect pocket size. Not particularly into phones so will be keeping for a few years like I did with the 8.
    Well that was unfortunate timing

Late last year I went from an iPhone X to a 12 Pro and the only reason I did that was to give my elderly father an iPhone with Face ID as he was struggling with the fingerprint sensor of his previous iPhone 8. I won't be upgrading any time soon as many of the updates (as with many of the previous updates) I'll never use: I'm not a gamer, I don't try to produce movie quality short films though a macro lens is a cool addition for me. How long will it be before full-sized cameras (I nearly wrote digital SLRs but they're on their way out already) are only used by professional photographers?

I'm seriously considering the new iPad Mini and will almost certainly buy one as my current iPad is getting on a bit and can, on occasion, be slow.

Mac Tech Shrewsbury

My friend Chris Burt runs @MacTechShrewsbury (find it on Facebook) upgrades, fixes Macs, also sells refurbed Macs and can up-spec the one you have. Good bloke and knows his onions .. literally, as he is also the exec head chef at Mytton and Mermaid and runs the food demo side of things at the Shrewsbury food festival, plus has written two cook books (third is pending).
    Just thought I would mention it in case anyone had need.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Given the rush of Apple products on Sales Corner, I guess a few folk are considering upgrades!

Well that was unfortunate timing
    Not really, needed a new phone and got a good deal off Amazon for a used one . I keep them so long a few quid saving isn’t worth worrying about

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Not really, needed a new phone and got a good deal off Amazon for a used one . I keep them so long a few quid saving isn’t worth worrying about
    Ah fair enough, I feared you'd bought it at RRP a week before the new one launched!

Craftsman
    Some very good opinions and experiences shared so far.

My priority, based on the way the iPhone has evolved, and like many I guess, is the camera and screen. This is to both capture and then view memories. iPhone is a very convenient tool for that purpose. The better the quality the more enjoyable the reminiscing.

Still sitting on the fence as to an upgrade, likely to wait for the next version at the moment.

The watch is fast becoming a very useful medical tool.

iPhone 8 - my first smart phone, and two or three generations behind when I bought it so that the price was near sensible. Acts as hotspot for my laptop.

Macbook Air M1 - as the battery on my old MacBook Air was dying, and I suspect the screen wasn't much longer for this world

Ipad Mini 4 - just paid £99 for the new battery, so that will be with me a while yet

iPad Pro 1st Gen - gave that away as I hardly ever used it - too heavy

iPad 3rd Gen - backup if all else fails

Graveyard:

Macbook Air - dying battery and screen
    Macbook Pro - dead screen
    Macbook with PowerPC processor - dead slow and dead battery

Future purchases planned?

Might go for an iPhone 11, but will be a long way in the future yet, all things being equal. I am happy with all my iDevices. I used to chase PC upgrades, but I have never bothered with Macs as the kit goes on and on, and a lot of it is mostly un-upgradeable now.

I upgraded from a 7 to an 11 after about 3 years - the screen size, battery life and camera were a big improvement. The 13 looks like an incremental upgrade, so I won’t be bothering until I either drop the current 11 (apple care has run out) or the battery performance dips or similar. I reckon 3 years out of an iPhone makes it financially ok, any less - now upgrades are a bit ‘meh’ - seems a waste of time to me. And I don’t reckon 5G will make it to my patch of rural Norfolk any time soon!

Master
    Recently gone from an XR to a 12 pro. I quite liked the heft of the XR but wanted to upgrade and wasn’t too bothered about getting the very latest iteration and this has worked for me for the past good few years.

Craftsman
    Years ago I would buy every new model. I probably stopped doing that around iPhone 5 ish. I last changed from iPhone X to iPhone 12 Pro Max. So have the same phone as the OP. I’m not even contemplating upgrading unless my current phone starts to slow down or the battery is on its last legs. It still everything I could ever need in a phone

My Apple Watch is version 4 though so that might be due soon actually 🧐

Master
    I went from an IPhone 6 to an 11. Went from series 3 watch to a 6. As you can tell, I take my time upgrading. I won’t change my phone for probably another four years. Same with my watch.
    I think my iPad is about 2.5 years old, no idea what generation that would make it, but it replaced a series 2 iPad mini, and my iMac is a 2015 purchased off this forum. That does the job so it will be staying for a while.

you couldn't make it up, there is a global chip shortage and Apple launch a new phone with the guts made by TSMC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    you couldn't make it up, there is a global chip shortage and Apple launch a new phone with the guts made by TSMC
    This had crossed my mind too.

Master
    Me and the wife typically hand our old phones down to the kids. So I think they have 7s whilst we have XS. So will probably upgrade because of that. The Ipad mini is the big jump in specs all around as it has needed some love for a fair while.

I’ve currently got a 12 Pro Max which I only upgraded to around 4 months ago. Big improvement over my Samsung S10 and after several years on Android I was ready for a change. I’ve also got a lates gen iPad and an Apple Watch 2. I don’t see anything other than incremental improvements on the iPhone 13 so no point upgrading that. Pretty happy with the iPad and watch for now.

11 pro and waiting for next year’s anticipated more major upgrade. Looking forward to better camera and battery life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    11 pro and waiting for next year’s anticipated more major upgrade. Looking forward to better camera and battery life.
    I was advised by a young person that the battery life of the 11 was far superior to the 12!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I was advised by a young person that the battery life of the 11 was far superior to the 12!
    That's bad advise. The battery life is measurably better on the 12 than the 11.

Craftsman
    I was looking at an iPhone 12 pro max 256gb on O2 with 250gb data. Last week it was £299 upfront and £45 a month for 24 months. After the announcement of the new iPhone it has shot up in price vastly. Total cost over 2 years is now £240 more for the same deal at £299 upfront and now £55 a month. Think I’ll keep my XS even with its dodgy speaker.

(Prices from uswitch website via available mobiles)

Craftsman
    My current 11 is fine and I don’t know why I’m replacing it but I am. I kept my 7 for 3 years and that was the longest I’d kept a personal iPhone, even that was fine but I wanted a better camera. I think the difference in cameras across 3 years is huge, 1 or 2 years not so much.

I used to upgrade every year but haven’t done that for 5 years now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I was looking at an iPhone 12 pro max 256gb on O2 with 250gb data. Last week it was £299 upfront and £45 a month for 24 months. After the announcement of the new iPhone it has shot up in price vastly. Total cost over 2 years is now £240 more for the same deal at £299 upfront and now £55 a month. Think I’ll keep my XS even with its dodgy speaker.

I don’t understand technology but I’d have thought the 12’s would be more likely to go down than up after the 13’s are launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don’t understand technology but I’d have thought the 12’s would be more likely to go down than up after the 13’s are launched.

This isn't particularly surprising. Phone companies often do 'deals' on handset/sim combo's, and evidently over the period of time in question the 'deal' has ended. Nothing more to it than that, certainly iPhone 12 prices aren't going up.

Craftsman
    You can no longer buy that phone direct from Apple it is discontinued. It is now MORE than the equivalent iPhone 13 from resellers such as go compare. It’s just Apple wanting to sell the latest spec.

You can no longer buy that phone direct from Apple it is discontinued. It is now MORE than the equivalent iPhone 13 from resellers such as go compare. It’s just Apple wanting to sell the latest spec.
    You usually can, just only from Apple retail stores in person. Should have 2-3 weeks to get one at a slightly lower price until they're packed off and sold to their channel partners.