closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone bought an IWC Big Pilot 43 pref. black/brown combo. 43mm vs. 46mm

Master

Anyone bought an IWC Big Pilot 43 pref. black/brown combo. 43mm vs. 46mm

I’ve searched TZ but nothing has come up.

I am looking at the black face and brown leather strap option as the blue doesn’t do it for me and was interested in how it wore on the wrist as thick strap and deployant can spoil the fit of the watch.
    Last edited by watchmad; 17th September 2021 at 12:16.

I lusted after one of these for ages and was left underwhelmed once on my wrist, can’t actually tell you why other than the fact it felt rather poorly built and something of nothing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got the mark 1 5002-01. It's a scaled down IWC B-Uhr homage essentially. IIRC the WW2 B-Uhr was 55mm & worn on the outside of a flying jacket or on the ankle. It needed to be big for that. I really love it despite my 6.75" wrists....it's meant to look big! I think that the mark 1 dial is the best looking. It's certainly more true to the original.

I absolutely adore the watch but can't justify the price tag.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've got the mark 1 5002-01. It's a scaled down IWC B-Uhr homage essentially. IIRC the WW2 B-Uhr was 55mm & worn on the outside of a flying jacket or on the ankle. It needed to be big for that. I really love it despite my 6.75" wrists....it's meant to look big! I think that the mark 1 dial is the best looking. It's certainly more true to the original.

By far, the best BP IMO. Have always fancied one of these but think the size would become an issue over time. The Watch Snob was a big fan of these.

https://uk.askmen.com/style/watch_sn...big-pilot.html

Master
    Off up to town to try them both on…..thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Off up to town to try them both on…..thanks for your responses.
    I’d be interested to see what you think - I’ve been looking at these with increasing interest.

Master

Anyone bought an IWC Big Pilot 43 pref. black/brown combo. 43mm vs. 46mm

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    I’d be interested to see what you think - I’ve been looking at these with increasing interest.
    I have small wrists (6.5-6.75) and have wanted a Big Pilot for about 10 years. I tried one on back then and it seemed a bit too big but I still hankered after one. So when the 43 launched I thought this was the one.

Over the past 10 years I have owned a silly amount of watches and my firm faves have been Deepsea, Speedy and IWC Pilot Chrono. Of those I have the last 2.

Having tried both on I have decided the Big Pilot 46.2mm is the one. The 43 is beautiful and simple but the dial is too simple.

BP ordered so I'll wrist pic when it arrives.

Last edited by watchmad; 18th September 2021 at 18:32.

Just arrived this morning. The blue dial is exceptional and the bracelet is a work of art.

I also purchased two calf leather straps but the deployant is still on back order so I am going to have to wait a little longer to try those.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Congrats Warren, that's lovely! Let me know when you get bored with it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Just arrived this morning. The blue dial is exceptional and the bracelet is a work of art.

I also purchased two calf leather straps but the deployant is still on back order so I am going to have to wait a little longer to try those.

Very nice, a friend of mine will be picking his up next week.

I have small wrists (6.5-6.75) and have wanted a Big Pilot for about 10 years. I tried one on back then and it seemed a bit too big but I still hankered after one. So when the 43 launched I thought this was the one.

Over the past 10 years I have owned a silly about of watches and my firm faves have been Deepsea, Speedy and IWC Pilot Chrono. Of those I have the last 2.

Having tried both on I have decided the Big Pilot 46.2mm is the one. The 43 is beautiful and simple but the dial is too simple.

Thanks - my wrist size is almost the same as yours. I’m soooooo tempted.

Master

Here we are…

Master

Here we are…
    Very nice. Enjoy...

That is an absolutely boss watch. I hope to find the watch box space (and some money) to add one to my own collection

I am envious, and I love that version of it.

Congratulations

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had wanted one for quite a while ended up with a 46mm 5004 version for a very short time. Ownership didn’t meet my expectations, so we parted company. I still like IWC and I have now ended up with a Mark XVII and a Mark XVIII Top Gun.

The narrow strap and massive case, just felt somewhat unstable. Then the crown that could strip the back of your hand to the bone.

If it was me I’d get an IWC Mark Series above a Big Pilot.
    Last edited by neebsta; 28th September 2021 at 06:49.

Wears very comfortable on both the strap and bracelet and an easy watch to have on all day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    The narrow strap and massive case, just felt somewhat unstable.
    Similar proposition with the DSSD but when worn snuggly to the wrist it works well for me.

Here we are…
    Good looking watch. Would like to try one at some point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

Over the past 10 years I have owned a silly amount of watches and my firm faves have been Deepsea, Speedy and IWC Pilot Chrono. Of those I have the last 2.

I own the 46mm Petit Prince edition. The blue dial is glorious in the sunlight, but both of these posts are making me seriously consider picking up a black dialled version too as they are have much better contrast between the hands, indices and dial in lower light conditions. It's a hard decision between the original and the modern version though...

Wears very comfortable on both the strap and bracelet and an easy watch to have on all day

A friend of mine has had the 46mm BP for years and I've always been drawn to them.

I have to say that your 43mm BP looks fantastic on the bracelet, I imagine it's quite a heavy combo though?
    Last edited by woodruffm; 30th September 2021 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by woodruffm View Post
    A friend of mine has had the 46mm BP for years and I've always been drawn to them.

I have to say that your 43mm BP looks fantastic on the bracelet, I imagine it's quite a heavy combo though?
    I have just weighed my BP43 on the bracelet and it comes in at 162g with all the links.

It is one of the most comfortable bracelets I have tried and no weight issues wearing the watch all day.

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone know the price of the bracelet? I have the black dial on brown calf arriving Friday and want to purchase the bracelet as well. I'd imagine £1k or so?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd October 2022 at 23:33.

Hi Ryan, I would think around £1200 or so (that's the price of the Chrono 41mm bracelet). Let me know if you need any help sourcing one. Discounts probably won't be available but I can put you in touch with a couple of people who could help you order one if needed.

I have just weighed my BP43 on the bracelet and it comes in at 162g with all the links.

It is one of the most comfortable bracelets I have tried and no weight issues wearing the watch all day.

That’s not bad, similar to a sub

- - - Updated - - -

That’s not bad, similar to a sub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Anyone know the price of the bracelet? I have the black dial on brown calf arriving Friday and want to purchase the bracelet as well. I'd imagine £1k or so?

Personally I’d just save the money (before you sell it 😉 on) as IWC look way better on a strap than bracelet imv