closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Learning To Fly

Master

Learning To Fly

During lockdown I started to make a list of all the things I said I wanted to do, but never had. Flying gliders was on that list. Maybe it the Thomas Crown Affair, or maybe it is because I used to live very close to a gliding club (alasy no more) or maybe because my wife's father was a pilot and she talked a lot about flying, but for whatever reason it has always appealed to me.

I booked a half day gliding course for late may and I loved it. Two winch launches and an aerotow later and I knew I wanted to do more. I signed up for a 5 day course in August and got 4 OK days of flying due to mixed weather. I managed to make up the missed hours over the last few weeks. I've joined the club and am hoping to get in 1-2 days of flying per month. I'm genuinely enjoying it, seem to be improving, but I know I have so much more to learn. Thankfully it is more affordable that I thought it would be plus here is also the added bonus of feeling justified in buying aviators and pilot watch. :)

Is any one else learning to fly currently? If so what type of of aircraft. Also any tips for a new aviator?

I found this previous thread about earning a PPL, which was really insightful: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...earning-to-fly

Jesus Christ I thought something bad had happened to Tony.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Jesus Christ I thought something bad had happened to Tony.
    It took me a moment to figure that out. Maybe I should change the title.

But I don't have wings.

Coming down is the hardest thing
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Some of you are being very petty about this.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Some of you are being very petty about this.
    I won't back down.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

This forum is free falling.

What goes up must come down.

Master
    Back in the room, I'm going for a winch launch on 25th and having never done anything like this before so will follow this thread with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This forum is free falling.
    Must be Full Moon Fever.

Highly recommended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Back in the room, I'm going for a winch launch on 25th and having never done anything like this before so will follow this thread with interest.
    It's an amazing feeling, the acceleration is fantastic.

As a Tom Petty fan, thanks for all the other replies. :)

Master
    Gliding is fun, did some in Germany years ago and am sponsoring a young girl to do her gliders licence at Sutton Bank. That said I did a lot of rotary with the army and stopping before landing is the way to go . Just relax and enjoy it, it’s meant be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It's an amazing feeling, the acceleration is fantastic.

:)
    You should try a fast jet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You should try a fast jet!
    I'd love to, but where?

I'd love to, but where?
    In the sky preferably!

I'd love to, but where?
    You can fly an L-39 in France but it ain’t cheap at 4500 euro for an hour!

Not learning but a microlight instructor based at Peterborough Conington. Happy to discuss options, routes and what it could all cost if you want to drop me a pm.

I would love to learn to fly so I'm watching this with interest. I am thinking about starting in the spring next year, if time allows. Does anyone have any experience of Redhill by any chance?

The son in law passed his light aircraft about two years ago he is a taxi driver he went in for his big plane license and passed that then covid happened they had to remortgage their house to pay for it lucky he could still drive the taxi for money and she also working she is now expecting a grandson for us he then went back to Poland to pass his how to teach others to fly light aircraft, he is now working at Teesside airport teaching other people to fly and take people out on scenic flights and still drives the taxies we are so proud of him but it has cost a lot of money for a low earner hope he gets a job for a big airline sometime.

I was lucky enough to do a course when I was in the Air Training Course at RAF Gaydon in the early '70s. It was great, but the first winch launch was rather scary. Went right the way through the training and wound up getting my licence , Might be a plan to take it up again now there's a bit of spare time and cash about.

My son started Gliding at 12. Went on to get his PPL. Then his CPL. Now he flies a private jet. A challenger 850. Never wanted to do anything else. Have been up many times in all aircraft. Je always goes gliding when back in the UK he says it's 'proper' flying. Nothing else is quite like it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Not learning but a microlight instructor based at Peterborough Conington. Happy to discuss options, routes and what it could all cost if you want to drop me a pm.
    Thanks for the offer. I was talking to another person at the gliding club who was thinking of transitioning to microlights.

Master
    Just got back from the gliding club and have to say it was a fantastic experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Just got back from the gliding club and have to say it was a fantastic experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Nice watch

Master
    Glad you enjoyed it and great photo.

Glider pilot here , well lapsed . I started young. When my dad retired he took up gliding and took me along, I went solo at 16 , same day day as my dad went solo . Few for a few years, then off to uni and not really picked up after . Great sport , albeit a bit solitary . Consistent Conditions one of the issues for me in this country . My dad got old and gave it up , I bought him a refresher course a few years that I ended up doing , which was very cool and I could just about remember what to do . I ended up getting into sailing , which covers the social side for me too .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    Glider pilot here , well lapsed . I started young. When my dad retired he took up gliding and took me along, I went solo at 16 , same day day as my dad went solo . Few for a few years, then off to uni and not really picked up after . Great sport , albeit a bit solitary . Consistent Conditions one of the issues for me in this country . My dad got old and gave it up , I bought him a refresher course a few years that I ended up doing , which was very cool and I could just about remember what to do . I ended up getting into sailing , which covers the social side for me too .
    Thanks for sharing, I'm hoping to start my son next summer. Consistent conditions definitely an issue. I was supposed to be flying yesterday, but the weather said no. I imagine if you do a lot of cross country flying it would be rather solitary. That said I found the club members welcoming and fairly social.

Craftsman
    I managed to complete my PPL in under 12 months.

I had previous hours and had already been solo albeit 25 years prior!

Working within an aircraft maintenance and training facility definitely helped as I could mop up cancelled lessons or qhen the weather picked up better than was expected.

Now lapsed and no longer working on aircraft...miss the flying...not much else though.