closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best watch investment aroun 5-10k

Apprentice

Best watch investment aroun 5-10k

I’m looking to buy a watch to invest with a little cash. Does any of you guys have any suggestions

The honest answer is no watch is an investment. It may be an asset that can sold at some point in the future with no guarantee about how much such a sale would bring. Buying nearly new for a lot of brands is a good idea as someone else will have taken the initial hit, like buying a one to two year old car etc.

It is important to buy something that you like and will wear. You could buy a decent vintage or military piece, but that takes effort, time and research, but if your ducks line up, that watch may appreciate in value better over time than something out of Goldsmiths window.

No brands were mentioned in this response

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhayes1oak View Post
    I’m looking to buy a watch to invest with a little cash. Does any of you guys have any suggestions
    I think the sensible answer is don’t.

Were you planning to buy to use or buy to stick away somewhere?

I would echo the advice of don’t. As an investment, I would pick an investment.

There are watches that will rise in value, but some you can’t predict, and the ones that you think might are hard to get.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Vanguard
    This. Easy to kid ourselves that our watches are investments. Most Rolex, Patek, AP and FP Journe have all appreciated massively in recent times but this tide could easily turn. Buy what you like and make sure that you can afford to lose it if the market turns. Buy it with fun money.

Master
    Hacked account imo

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Hacked account imo
    Or dual ID - some banned type on a wind up.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    This. Easy to kid ourselves that our watches are investments. Most Rolex, Patek, AP and FP Journe have all appreciated massively in recent times but this tide could easily turn. Buy what you like and make sure that you can afford to lose it if the market turns. Buy it with fun money.
    80-90% of people who make money on watches do so by flipping on day one. They risk being blacklisted and never getting another watch again.

For me this isn't worth it. Not even close.

Everyone wants a Daytona or 5711 at list but never want (or have) what it takes to get one. There are easier ways to make money. Ways which don't need a £3k safe or £3.5k pa in insurance premiums.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The honest answer is no watch is an investment. It may be an asset that can sold at some point in the future with no guarantee about how much such a sale would bring. Buying nearly new for a lot of brands is a good idea as someone else will have taken the initial hit, like buying a one to two year old car etc.

It is important to buy something that you like and will wear. You could buy a decent vintage or military piece, but that takes effort, time and research, but if your ducks line up, that watch may appreciate in value better over time than something out of Goldsmiths window.

No brands were mentioned in this response
    Thanks mate

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Hacked account imo

Why would that be a reasonable opinion lol? Trying to get some knowledge

Apprentice
    Thanks a lot everyone. I have not claimed to be a watch expert so no need for the hacked account comments. Just trying to gain some knowledge as I have an interest in watches

Thanks a lot everyone. I have not claimed to be a watch expert so no need for the hacked account comments. Just trying to gain some knowledge as I have an interest in watches
    Don’t take it personally, we have had members who have been banned and set up new accounts and come back with stupid questions like where can I buy a new Rolex at list price etc.

Watches are a very uncertain investment and please take the cost of ownership into account.

Servicing a Rolex etc. isn't exactly cheap and it will be necessary after a number of years.

If you want to invest, look at stocks, gold, silver bullion etc.

5 digit full set sport Rolex - better than gold!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Vanguard
    +2
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    I know the typical response is that they're not investments but over the past 20 years or so Rolex has been pretty reliable. I'd go for something that trades close(ish) to retail or as the poster above said a full set 5 digit sports model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think while watches aren’t a traditional investment, they are a reasonable place to put money if you go into it with the right frame of mind.

New or used? Will you wear or store? How long for a return?

I bought a moonwatch at rrp in 2008 for £1600, I’ve worn it well for 13 years and it’s worth more than I paid because the RRP is almost x3.

I can’t advise on many outside Rolex etc, but I think if you keep anything like that long enough it will do ok.

I don’t think about money back, I just enjoy the watches and it’s nice to know they will always have value compared to a £500 fashion watch which will be worthless over time.

Master
    Perhaps the Tudor Sub on SC! If it isn’t sold already.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    +2
    +3

Journeyman
    My brother in law just bought a full set 2007 16610, intention was to buy a watch that he likes but would also hold its value. As an investment banker, he is aware it's not the best "investment" money can buy but it's something he genuinely likes and in my opinion is just as safe as money in the bank over long term

There is a balance between pure investment and a watch you like that might show a return over time.

I reckon my Cosmonaute has fallen comfortably into the latter category, probably my Speedmaster and Sinn Arktis, but none were bought in the expectation of rising in value.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'd vote for a 14060M Submariner at that price point. Last of the aluminium bezel Subs and always creeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    5 digit full set sport Rolex - better than gold!
    Sorry to quote my own post but I looked at weights of pure gold per ounce v's the weight of a few 5 digit watches.

Pure gold today per ounce is just shy of £1300 x by the weight of each watch, yes you can ague about links etc but for arguments sake the numbers are below -

16710 - 4.5oz = £5850.00 in pure gold
    16610/14060 - 5.5oz = £7150.00 in pure gold
    16600 - 5.8oz = £7540.00 in pure gold
    16570 - 4.4oz = £5720 in pure gold

If you take my previous quote as full sets then you may find any of the above for the equivalent gold price but its increasingly unlikely, I didn't even bother with the 16520 Daytona!

I much prefer to own and enjoy a watch than leave a few ounces of gold in the safe..

Master
    The dreaded 'I' word... I was pleased to see the odd vintage piece go up in value until I realised an ISA would have done the same, and then kept going with less risk. I enjoyed the watch more along the way, but it's a gamble that's of interest if you actually like the watches, as those here do.

As with property or anything else it's as much about when you buy as what you buy, and the right time would have been about ten years ago. Will they carry on? Who knows. But FWIW the 15750 Explorer II continues to be more wearable for some of us than the current model, and the ever increasing price of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas has made the first model look like a bargain (I should probably declare an interest here!). Having said that, they've both been steadily increasing already, so your best investment is a time machine.

How well have your investment pieces performed over these last two years?

Grand Master
    Some on here don't like the words.....

Watch & Investment used in the same sentence.
    And yet its clear to see many have been happy some of their watches did actually make good investments.
    The only difference is most of those people didnt actually buy as an investment,more to do with how they increased in value.

"Luck" is a word you could replace investment with.

Or buy a crystal ball and keep what it tells you to yourself & not tell a soul on here.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 24th August 2023 at 18:27.

Master
    Just buy whatever watch you like. “Investment” is just a word we use to convince ourselves that this is a sensible way to spend cash (spoiler: it’s not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put your money into a good savings account.

Master
    Don't feed the troll