closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yacht Master 126622 opinions

Craftsman

Yacht Master 126622 opinions

Evening all

After years of overlooking the 40mm “rolesium” Yachtmaster, I have started to think about buying one.

Until recently my reservations stemmed from the fact that it seemed like a shinier, more expensive and less capable Submariner.

Recently I find myself admiring the more traditional case shape and the blue dial version looks tremendous in photos.

I’m beginning to see it as a watch in its own right, rather than the Sub in a fur coat. The truth is that I’ve never tried one on, so it’s difficult to say how I’ll connect with it.

If any of you own one/ have owned one/ have tried one, do let me know your thoughts and opinions on the watch. Is it too shiny to be versatile? How’s the blue / red dial combo in reality? Is the platinum bezel worthy of the heftier price?

If I could make one tweak to it, I’d probably replace the platinum bezel with the black ceramic bezel (with the 3D markers and numerals) on the larger sized precious metal version.

Let me know what you guys think. For the sake of context I already have several Rolex divers.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wears smaller than the 40mm and 41mm Sub if that's might be of interest. Almost like a slim SDc. The case is compared against the Daytona case sometimes.

Of the two the rhodium would be my pick as I like the sunburst dial.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 19th September 2021 at 23:17.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wears smaller than the 40mm and 41mm Sub if that's might be of interest. Almost like a slim SDc. The case is compared against the Daytona case sometimes.

Of the two the rhodium would be my pick as I like the sunburst dial.
    Thanks Wileeeeeey, The Daytona is spot-on for my 6.5 inch wrist, so that’s good to hear. I have had a few mates express a preference for the rhodium YM over the blue. I had a DJ41 in that dark rhodium and it is indeed a splendid sunburst. In my case, I don’t have any blue dial Rolexes, so this might be my chance. I can’t pull off a Sky Dweller and the Z-blue Milgauss isn’t my cup of tea.

Enjoy
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one of the lighter rhodium dialed YMs - lovely watch but insufficient contrast between the dial and hands for my ageing eyes. I should think the dark rhodium or blue dials would be sufficiently legible to make it a lovely and usable watch.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have the slightly older 116622 with blue dial. I can compare it to my 116613LB favourably as despite being the cheaper of the two, the YM case has an extra degree of obvious machining and elegance. The sub lugs and slab sides just end quite sharply (and to my mind cheaply) in comparison.

The YM is my go to going out watch because:
    - it’s comfier than the sub
    - it’s slimmer and more elegant than the sub
    - in a world of subs and sub envy, it’s not a sub!

IMHO I would compare the YM vs the sub as the same comparison as the sub vs Tudor BB whereas one of the watches in the two pairs in both cases is more of a tool watch than the other.

Don’t get me wrong I do love the sub, but not as much as the YM.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your feedback guys! Now onto the small matter of getting access to one.

Blog Entries
    I had one TT for a while - very comfortable - more so than the maxi-dialled Subs of the era - downward curved case hugged the wrist more.

I now have the 126655 YM RG40 - an 'end-game' piece for me

Here you can see the different profile compared to my 124060

The YM is IMHO underrated - I would go with the whatever colour combo is easiest to read.

M
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    I’ve just picked up a 116622 with blue dial. As the other posters have pointed out the case profile is lovely. Much nicer than the maxi case 40mm subs etc in my opinion.

The blue dial is beautiful, especially with the red accents.

The 116622 can be had for somewhere not a million miles away from the retail price of the new model with updated movement so it’s worth keeping an eye out for a bargain. I’m hoping to upgrade to the rose gold oyster flex in the very near future but it won’t be easy parting with this one

Craftsman
    That TT YM is beautiful, Martyn. You’ve got me wondering about upgrading my Rolesor version for one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had one TT for a while - very comfortable - more so than the maxi-dialled Subs of the era - downward curved case hugged the wrist more.

I now have the 126655 YM RG40 - an 'end-game' piece for me

Here you can see the different profile compared to my 124060

The YM is IMHO underrated - I would go with the whatever colour combo is easiest to read.

M
    Cheers Martyn. One day I’ll get my mits on that RG version. It’s awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I had one of the lighter rhodium dialed YMs - lovely watch but insufficient contrast between the dial and hands for my ageing eyes. I should think the dark rhodium or blue dials would be sufficiently legible to make it a lovely and usable watch.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    "lovely watch but insufficient contrast between the dial and hands for my ageing eyes." I could never put my finger on what it was causing resistance for me - this has hit the nail on the head. In other words...meh.