closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW and Mercedes: the ‘Rolex route’

Blog Entries

BMW and Mercedes: the ‘Rolex route’

Dutch online newspapers have an item about BMW and Mercedes who’ve figured out that the shortage of chips works in their advantage.

Cars (new) from these brands are 10 - 20% expensive than earlier this year; a matter of demand and. Supply. Profit is up too: for MB from 8 to 12% and BMW’s is up from 10 to 20%.

BMW has also noticed that ‘…waiting enhances the emotion of buying an BMW’[…]. They want to get rid of the idea that you walk into a showroom at 10am and you drive away in your new BMW at 1pm.

The Rolex Submariner way.

This concurs with what I have observed recently with BMW, and mirrors the game Porsche has been playing for a while now with its GT cars. It is a good strategy while manufacturing capacity is constrained but it remains to be seen as to whether BMW can resist the temptation flood the market when capacity is back up.

Blog Entries
    This has obviously had a knock-on effect to the second hand market too; I've been looking to buy (more keeping an eye on prices really) a used A6 Avant / 5 Series Touring or E-Class estates for a while now and prices seem to be on the up.

TBH the whole used market seems to be on the up, not just premium stuff. I've seen a few old bangers fetching decent money and any "Private Seller" bargains get hoovered up almost immediately.

Perhaps this explains why Land Rover main dealers are so rude and dismissive on the occasions I have visited them? They are just playing hard to get?

Mind you, they've been like that for years, so I have ordered a new RR Sport for delivery next month, but did it online rather than through Land Rover Milton Keynes who were spectacularly uninterested the last time I visited them try to place an 80k order a couple of years back...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I’ve just had to cancel my order for a Vogue SE placed in May and due to arrive this month because they weren’t able to supply one with the 360 deg camera option.
    Ordered a Q7 now for delivery in January so just hope they don’t have the same roblem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Perhaps this explains why Land Rover main dealers are so rude and dismissive on the occasions I have visited them? They are just playing hard to get?

Mind you, they've been like that for years, so I have ordered a new RR Sport for delivery next month, but did it online rather than through Land Rover Milton Keynes who were spectacularly uninterested the last time I visited them try to place an 80k order a couple of years back...
    The JLR dealership network is awful.

Shame to hear that. Next time it might be worth submitting an enquiry through the LR website which will end up with the Jardine Motors digital team (MK are Jardine).

Last time I was in touch approx 2 years ago the digital team were headed up by Donna Nash. Her and her team are genuinely first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The JLR dealership network is awful.

They definitely need to do some work on their customer service side.

Years ago, when I had quite a few Jags, I used Stratstone Jaguar (they weren't all JLR combined then), and their customer service was never less that outstanding in every way.

I don't know what it is, maybe they get too many tire kickers - I don't know, but I have never been greeted with anything less than studied indifference bordering on contempt when I have visited a Land Rover main dealer showroom.

I had thought it was perhaps something I was doing wrong, but they seem to be faily egalitarian in their disdain for all those who cross their threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Shame to hear that. Next time it might be worth submitting an enquiry through the LR website which will end up with the Jardine Motors digital team (MK are Jardine).

Last time I was in touch approx 2 years ago the digital team were headed up by Donna Nash. Her and her team are genuinely first class.

Useful, thanks - I did communicate it to a very old close friend of mine who is very senior at JLR (in charge of product launches and lines), and I know he wasn't happy to hear it.

On the subject of new car shortages, very near me is a decommissioned RAF base, my wife is involved in a science charity project run out of one of the hardened bunkers ( very cool building, walls 3 feet thick 4ich thick bulletproof door etc) and we went up there at the weekend, they have their eye on a even bigger bunker to move to so we drove around to check it out, I was surprised to see hundreds of brand new cars parked up there from various manufacturers, most registered 21 plates, a lot of unregistered, VAG, Jaguar, Ford etc. I guess they have to be stored somewhere but I was surprised to see so many. Lots of trucks and vans too, all in protective wraps.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    On the subject of new car shortages, very near me is a decommissioned RAF base, my wife is involved in a science charity project run out of one of the hardened bunkers ( very cool building, walls 3 feet thick 4ich thick bulletproof door etc) and we went up there at the weekend, they have their eye on a even bigger bunker to move to so we drove around to check it out, I was surprised to see hundreds of brand new cars parked up there from various manufacturers, most registered 21 plates, a lot of unregistered, VAG, Jaguar, Ford etc. I guess they have to be stored somewhere but I was surprised to see so many. Lots of trucks and vans too, all in protective wraps.
    Likely most/all will be pre-reg stock waiting to be sold. Can't sell a pre reg car within 90 days.

Craftsman

My experience with Beadles, Watford earlier this year was very good also.

Likely most/all will be pre-reg stock waiting to be sold. Can't sell a pre reg car within 90 days.
    Thanks for the info, makes sense.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I’ve just ordered a Velar HSE from Vertu in Chesterfield and have to say they were fantastic. First experience of Land Rover dealership to be honest but really impressed.

As a matter of interest - ordering online - do you not lose chance to negotiate discount that way?

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I’ve just ordered a Velar HSE from Vertu in Chesterfield and have to say they were fantastic. First experience of Land Rover dealership to be honest but really impressed.

As a matter of interest - ordering online - do you not lose chance to negotiate discount that way?

I got a great deal with Guy Salmon in Manchester - just dealt direct with them. So far they've been excellent - very straightforward - but the car hasn't been delivered yet!

Clearly there is significant variance between dealerships though.

Glad you had a good experience!