closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier 1847 MC timekeeping?

Cartier 1847 MC timekeeping?

Hi
    Does anyone have any idea what the stated +/- timekeeping for this calibre is? Looking at getting a tank but can’t see what the timekeeping is supposed to be.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Will having this info influence your decision to buy?

The likelihood is that it’ll keep time to within a couple of secs/day provided it’s regulated correctly and you keep it in a high enough state of wind, this applies to the majority of decent quality watches made over recent years.

Ironically, timekeeping capability isn’t the main criteria to apply when buying a mechanical watch. If you like it, buy it, I wouldn’t worry about claimed timekeeping.

Master
    It depends what you like about mechanical watches though Paul. For me, timekeeping is important, and if something performs within a second or two, I am happy. If it is ten or more seconds out per day, I will not keep it, and would not buy in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Will having this info influence your decision to buy?

Yes massively.

The likelihood is that it’ll keep time to within a couple of secs/day provided it’s regulated correctly and you keep it in a high enough state of wind, this applies to the majority of decent quality watches made over recent years.

Really? Quite a broad statement.

Ironically, timekeeping capability isn’t the main criteria to apply when buying a mechanical watch.
    Says you, for me it’s one of the things I first look for , hence OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    It depends what you like about mechanical watches though Paul. For me, timekeeping is important, and if something performs within a second or two, I am happy. If it is ten or more seconds out per day, I will not keep it, and would not buy in the first place
    Yes I feel the same.

Grand Master
    OK, let me tell you why some watches perform to 2 secs/ day and some only do 10 secs/ day, forget about the horological differences, it’s all down to how well regulated the watch is. Trust me, I don’t make this up, the better movement should show better precision but the overall accuracy is down to how well the watch is regulated.

Why does my 16 year old non COSC rated Omega Speedy Reduced 3510:50 run at +0.3secs/ day ( gained 2 secs over 7 days wear)..........because it’s been serviced recently by me and regulated carefully. Why did the last Rolex I owned gain 6-7secs/day despite being only 3 years old...... because it would've benefitted from a dose of regulation.

I like watches to keep good time even if they’re 50+ years old, I’m currently wearing a 1967 Constellation that’s gained 2 secs in 24 hrs and runs consistently around that point.

Being able to fix my own helps a lot, if I couldn’t I’d be v. frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OK, let me tell you why some watches perform to 2 secs/ day and some only do 10 secs/ day, forget about the horological differences, it’s all down to how well regulated the watch is. Trust me, I don’t make this up, the better movement should show better precision but the overall accuracy is down to how well the watch is regulated.

Why does my 16 year old non COSC rated Omega Speedy Reduced 3510:50 run at +0.3secs/ day ( gained 2 secs over 7 days wear)..........because it’s been serviced recently by me and regulated carefully. Why did the last Rolex I owned gain 6-7secs/day despite being only 3 years old...... because it would've benefitted from a dose of regulation.

I like watches to keep good time even if they’re 50+ years old, I’m currently wearing a 1967 Constellation that’s gained 2 secs in 24 hrs and runs consistently around that point.

Being able to fix my own helps a lot, if I couldn’t I’d be v. frustrated.
    Many thanks for this ^ I do appreciate the in depth information. Makes slot of sense. I feel slightly jealous of not being able to service my own watches. I could try in fact I have sufficed to say I should never try again.
    Anyway I tried the Tank on and it’s too dressy for me I was planning on a daily. Lovely watch but too delicate for daily wear especially my work and clothes.
    I’m going for a Sinn U50 now. Complete other end of the scale

Thanks again.

Master
    From the Miltons website, in respect of a pre-owned Cartier Santos: “… the automatic movements inside… are rarely perfect time-keepers and can seem noisy when the self-winding rotor turns; we would normally advise that anything between – 10 to + 15 seconds per day should be expected on these models, even after a service”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    From the Miltons website, in respect of a pre-owned Cartier Santos: “… the automatic movements inside… are rarely perfect time-keepers and can seem noisy when the self-winding rotor turns; we would normally advise that anything between – 10 to + 15 seconds per day should be expected on these models, even after a service”.
    Indeed, I am keen not to set high expectations for older Cartier automatic movements !