closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doxa- Frog - Seestern

Blog Entries

Doxa- Frog - Seestern

As an opener and to add to the talk on the forum about Doxa “homages” three pics
    The Seestern arrived today and whilst not a Doxa is IMO a far better homage than the Frog and a far better build the bezel action is excellent as is the crown cannot comment on the bracelet as i am not a fan of bracelets so it’s now on a tropical.

Last edited by mart broad; 12th September 2021 at 18:06.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Is it the same case size as the 300t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Doxa

Stainless Water-resistance: 200m/660ft case
    Diameter* 42.50 mm x 44.50 mm
    Height 14.00 mm
    Screw in crown**
    Water resistance 120 bar / 1200 meters / 4000 ft
    Solid stainless steel, screw down case back

Seestern

Case Material: All 316L Stainless steel, mixed finishings (brushing, polish, sandblasting)
    Case Diameter: 42mm excluding the crown
    Bezel: Unidirectional rotatable bezel (360 degrees, sandblasted and brushed finishing)
    Lug to Lug: 46 mm
    Height: 13.6 mm
    Lug width: 20 mm
    Water-resistance: 200m/660ft

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    As an opener and to add to the talk on the forum about Doxa “homages” three pics
    The Seestern arrived today and whilst not a Doxa is IMO a far better homage than the Frog and a far better build the bezel action is excellent as is the crown cannot comment on the bracelet as i am not a fan of bracelets so it’s now on a tropical.

Seestern looks great I'm going for an orange. How long did delivery take was this the one you comment was about in the wtb tactical frog thread? Did you have to pay any vat on delivery? Thanks 👍🏻

Blog Entries
    Time frame and no nothing on delivery and yes the one spoken about

IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Delivered - item posted
    2021-09-12 07:03
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Driver en route
    2021-09-12 01:48
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / In transit
    2021-09-12 01:23
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Out for delivery
    2021-09-11 23:23
    IPSWICH (YODEL) / This parcel is in the service centr
    2021-09-10 18:02
    IPSWICH (YODEL) / Arrived at depot (ipswich (yodel))
    2021-09-10 17:43
    GBLONA / In transit, it's progressing through post network
    2021-09-10 07:17
    GBLONA / Arrive at the destination distribution center.
    2021-09-10 03:12
    LHR / Arrival of goods at destination airport
    2021-09-09 22:33
    HKG / Shipment departed from airport of origin country
    2021-09-09 17:15
    HAYES SERVICE CENTRE / Parcel data received awaiting coll.
    2021-09-09 16:00
    CUSTOMER LOCATION / Third party - in transit to yodel
    2021-09-09 13:25
    HKG / Hand over to airline.
    2021-09-09 08:40
    HONGKONG / Arrived at hong kong hub.
    2021-09-09 06:40
    Shenzhen,China / Depart from facility to service provider.
    2021-09-09 00:01
    Shenzhen,China / Shipment arrived at facility and measured.
    2021-09-08 21:49
    Shenzhen,China / 4px picked up shipment.
    Parcel information
    Last edited by mart broad; 12th September 2021 at 19:24.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Time frame and no nothing on delivery and yes the one spoken about

IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Delivered - item posted
    2021-09-12 07:03
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Driver en route
    2021-09-12 01:48
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / In transit
    2021-09-12 01:23
    IPSWICH HOME DELIVERY (YODEL) / Out for delivery
    2021-09-11 23:23
    IPSWICH (YODEL) / This parcel is in the service centr
    2021-09-10 18:02
    IPSWICH (YODEL) / Arrived at depot (ipswich (yodel))
    2021-09-10 17:43
    GBLONA / In transit, it's progressing through post network
    2021-09-10 07:17
    GBLONA / Arrive at the destination distribution center.
    2021-09-10 03:12
    LHR / Arrival of goods at destination airport
    2021-09-09 22:33
    HKG / Shipment departed from airport of origin country
    2021-09-09 17:15
    HAYES SERVICE CENTRE / Parcel data received awaiting coll.
    2021-09-09 16:00
    CUSTOMER LOCATION / Third party - in transit to yodel
    2021-09-09 13:25
    HKG / Hand over to airline.
    2021-09-09 08:40
    HONGKONG / Arrived at hong kong hub.
    2021-09-09 06:40
    Shenzhen,China / Depart from facility to service provider.
    2021-09-09 00:01
    Shenzhen,China / Shipment arrived at facility and measured.
    Shenzhen,China / 4px picked up shipment.
    Parcel information
    Thanks last questions did you order direct from seestern or pay for quicker delivery?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Thanks last questions did you order direct from seestern or pay for quicker delivery?
    Ordered direct and got $10.00 discount paid via PP regular tracked delivery

I rotate my watches on a Sunday so from today until next week I'll be wearing the Tactical Frog which I bought after my WTB.

I mentioned in the 'Incoming' thread that I thought the orange dial was less intense than on a genuine Doxa but the bezel action on mine is tight with very little backplay. The BoR bracelet is comfy, the clasp is a little tight to close and open. Lume is good and consistent across the dial and hands. The screwdown crown has no issues and there is no grouching when screwing it back in (which I had with the OceanX I bought a few months back). Bezel alignment (albeit this one has the Tachymeter bezel) is fine.

I will have a better idea on time keeping by Friday but for the moment, I'm more than happy and think it's a lot of wrist wear for £130. It will serve to give me a better feel for whether a true full fat Doxa (at around £2K) is something I'd want to have in my collection.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Waiting on my Orange Seestern coming.

These Chinese brands have really caught my eye and have me re evaluating what I think I know about watches.

Most have much better specs that their Seiko equivalents. Also, bought the big Steeldive tuna and couldn't be happier with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Waiting on my Orange Seestern coming.

These Chinese brands have really caught my eye and have me re evaluating what I think I know about watches.

Most have much better specs that their Seiko equivalents. Also, bought the big Steeldive tuna and couldn't be happier with it.
    And me, I tried a steeldive the quality was outstanding for the money but the watch didnt work for me

I was sorely tempted by the recent Doxa on SC and really want to try one at some point, these knockoffs are tempting to try before stumping up more money for a real Doxa but I cant, imagine being the being the owner of Doxa, you would be pissed!

I know its controversial getting into the homage/fake conversation but they are far to close to the original for me to accept it as a homage..

Blog Entries
    Dr Peter Miller who is probably “ Mr or Dr Doxa” has done a whole number of Doxa reviews and they are worth a read including a comparison with both the Frog and the Maranez products.
    Link below chose reviews from the menu
    http://www.doxa300t.com/index.htm

In answer to the question/s re “ homages” i still feel it is worth spending a few quid to see if you want to splurge a couple of grand
    Last edited by mart broad; 13th September 2021 at 13:28.

You tube

Jason the watch guy drops a review of the frog

https://youtu.be/cBCmWT9fQS4

Master
    So my Seestern arrived this morning.

If you're on the fence about one... Buy it. Honestly, for what you're paying, the quality of this thing is off the charts. I really can't fault it at all.

The brushing and polishing is as good as I've ever seen on anything else and that's comparing it side by side with my Oris and Marinemasters.

I've been wobbling on the fence for a while, but my mind is made up. I'll 100 percent be selling my more expensive watches and buying more of these cheaper Chinese homages in the future.

I have the Teal Seestern version coming to me, I was set to buy the teal dial Doxa 300T but what stopped me shelling out £1800 was not having the opportunity to try one on.
    I didn't like the frog logo or Maranez bezel but for £130ish this ticks all the boxes.
    I never wear anything red (it's a football thing) but their red 38mm 62MAS with the matching rubber strap looks fantastic! I may just order one if I'm unlucky and miss out on one of the TF Carribbean's tomorrow.
    Last edited by bigvic; 18th September 2021 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I rotate my watches on a Sunday so from today until next week I'll be wearing the Tactical Frog which I bought after my WTB.

I mentioned in the 'Incoming' thread that I thought the orange dial was less intense than on a genuine Doxa but the bezel action on mine is tight with very little backplay. The BoR bracelet is comfy, the clasp is a little tight to close and open. Lume is good and consistent across the dial and hands. The screwdown crown has no issues and there is no grouching when screwing it back in (which I had with the OceanX I bought a few months back). Bezel alignment (albeit this one has the Tachymeter bezel) is fine.

I will have a better idea on time keeping by Friday but for the moment, I'm more than happy and think it's a lot of wrist wear for £130. It will serve to give me a better feel for whether a true full fat Doxa (at around £2K) is something I'd want to have in my collection.

The frog has been worn since last Sunday and it's lost less than a minute. I have enjoyed wearing it and would certainly buy one again. As I've mentioned, the orange dial is a bit washed out and it could do with being much stronger. Its given me a taste for a Doxa but with a Sinn and hopefully Smiths Caribbean incoming, it will tide me over.

Craftsman
    So my Seestern arrived this morning.

If you're on the fence about one... Buy it. Honestly, for what you're paying, the quality of this thing is off the charts. I really can't fault it at all.

The brushing and polishing is as good as I've ever seen on anything else and that's comparing it side by side with my Oris and Marinemasters.

I've been wobbling on the fence for a while, but my mind is made up. I'll 100 percent be selling my more expensive watches and buying more of these cheaper Chinese homages in the future.
    Looks great I can't make up my mind between this or the new 369 dial San Martin Retro diver

I am sure they are marvellous, but I just cannot help but hear cistern in an allo allo accent. Which would prevent me from ever buying or wearing a seestern. Surely it should be SEAstern as a diver too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having just had a look at the Seestern website I notice all of their watches have a lumed calendar disk
    Is this noticeable in real life?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I am sure they are marvellous, but I just cannot help but hear cistern in an allo allo accent. Which would prevent me from ever buying or wearing a seestern. Surely it should be SEAstern as a diver too?

I think it's German for starfish

Indeed it appears to be.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why does that make me think of Finbar Saunders! “Would you like to take a look at my orange starfish Mrs ooh err”
    Last edited by Gav; 18th September 2021 at 20:31. Reason: Missed a bit!

Master

Truthfully, it has taken me a while to get over the names of some of these Chinese watches but I suppose that just shows I was a slave to branding. Once I did though, I really am VERY impressed with some of them.

Sold my SLA023 today and I'll never spend that amount on a watch again, I don't think.

Doxa- Frog - Seestern

Interesting. Every day is a school day. Thx

Truthfully, it has taken me a while to get over the names of some of these Chinese watches but I suppose that just shows I was a slave to branding. Once I did though, I really am VERY impressed with some of them.

Sold my SLA023 today and I'll never spend that amount on a watch again, I don't think.
    The Chinese are quite inept at branding, for all their tech, ability to rip off, copy and mass produce at basement prices their brand awareness is shocking, its a known fact and something that differs hugely between the east and west culture.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The Chinese are quite inept at branding......
    It feels like they are doing it on purpose but I cannot figure out why.
    Last edited by abraxas; 19th September 2021 at 10:23.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

I used to be really anti-homage watches, maybe partly through snobbery but also as the whole thing seemed a bit grubby, quality was dreadful and the real watches themselves were (for me) quite affordable - and I didn’t want a quartz knock-off.
    Now that the prices of real swiss watches seem (to me) to be off the scale crazy, having bought and sold lots of the old school ‘grail’ watches fawned over on this forum - all bought brand new for a fraction of what they would cost now - I feel a bit ‘emperors new clothes’ about a lot of supposedly high end watches. Coinciding with these thoughts, the Chinese are now proving quite capable of producing a well made, durable watch, complete with admittedly naff branding for a fraction of the cost of a genuine item. I have yet to buy a Steeldive or anything similar but I can see a point when I will. Is anybody else starting to come round having always dismissed such fare?

Has anyone received a watch from Seestern if so what additional charged would be incurred please

Master
    No additional charges.

Vat paid on AliExpress and it lands on tour doorstep.

No additional charges.

Vat paid on AliExpress and it lands on tour doorstep.
    I have been looking at their website, so you guys are buying off Aliexpress then, did not know that

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I used to be really anti-homage watches, maybe partly through snobbery but also as the whole thing seemed a bit grubby, quality was dreadful and the real watches themselves were (for me) quite affordable - and I didn’t want a quartz knock-off.
    Now that the prices of real swiss watches seem (to me) to be off the scale crazy, having bought and sold lots of the old school ‘grail’ watches fawned over on this forum - all bought brand new for a fraction of what they would cost now - I feel a bit ‘emperors new clothes’ about a lot of supposedly high end watches. Coinciding with these thoughts, the Chinese are now proving quite capable of producing a well made, durable watch, complete with admittedly naff branding for a fraction of the cost of a genuine item. I have yet to buy a Steeldive or anything similar but I can see a point when I will. Is anybody else starting to come round having always dismissed such fare?

The same boat as you, I have a few classic "grail" watches that I've been fortunate to acquire before their value went through the roof however I'm feeling slightly aware sometimes that I'm wearing a watch of some worth even around the relatively quiet rural town where we live.
    I've recently bought a Steeldive and an Undone and I've been wearing my old Seiko Monster recently and I've been surprised how much I actually enjoy wearing something different and that's very well made.

After abstaining from buying anything new for 2 years I feel I'm starting a WIS journey all over again and remembering how much fun it was at the beginning. These new Chinese micro-brands are churning out some very good watches at a very low price but I'm also discovering some interesting brands like NTH along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Has anyone received a watch from Seestern if so what additional charged would be incurred please

Mine is coming this week hopefully, direct from Seestern, I will update if or when HMC come knocking.
    I should have gone the AliExpress route.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Mine is coming this week hopefully, direct from Seestern, I will update if or when HMC come knocking.
    I should have gone the AliExpress route.
    If it's on Aliexpress and under £135 they collect the vat/duty if it's over they don't and it should be declared by the sender for them to collect on behalf of HMRC. Ordering direct from seestern should just be the courier collecting but it depends what value they declare of its low it would be lower duty. I believe the first order on the thread arrived without additional costs.

It all depends if you want chance it ordering direct or going through Ali and paying the duty and getting it quicker possibly

Master
    Took 8 days to get my hands on mine from AliExpress.

I thought that was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    …Coinciding with these thoughts, the Chinese are now proving quite capable of producing a well made, durable watch…
    But of course they are, if they are using the same equipment, tooling, machines, etc. that they use to build the real deal.

But of course they are, if they are using the same equipment, tooling, machines, etc. that they use to build the real deal.
    That was always the rumour wasn’t it? - I bought a Doxa once, can’t remember the model but I liked the look and feel, which ended the moment I unscrewed the crown and it came off in my hand! Let’s hope the knock off factory round the corner has fixed that issue now…..

Yep

Like many others on this thread having been paying over the odds for watches micro brand watches that are exactly the same as these Chinese brands and probably just churned out from the factory next door I am starting to much prefer paying a £100 or so rather than 5 or 10 times that for a name on a dial.

Took 8 days to get my hands on mine from AliExpress.

I thought that was pretty good.
    Could I ask for the link you used to buy yours, been looking this morning and some are saying 30 days delivery?

Don't they mostly use a Seiko derived NH35A
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Yep

Like many others on this thread having been paying over the odds for watches micro brand watches that are exactly the same as these Chinese brands and probably just churned out from the factory next door I am starting to much prefer paying a £100 or so rather than 5 or 10 times that for a name on a dial.
    That is an unwarranted generalisation.
    It depends on what micro brand.
    A lot of micro brands in 300-700 range offer a degree of refinement not seen in these 100-200 USD watches.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is an unwarranted generalisation.
    It depends on what micro brand.
    A lot of micro brands in 300-700 range offer a degree of refinement not seen in these 100-200 USD watches.
    Any examples?

For all my procrastinations of homage watches that are too close to the original I'm starting to get really tempted by the Seestern orange, quality looks great for the cost and I need some colour in the watch box instead of all black dials.

Regarding import/VAT, Seestern direct the price works out £132 so under the £135, has anyone incurred any extra duty? Also has anyone found a useable voucher code?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Regarding import/VAT, Seestern direct the price works out £132 so under the £135, has anyone incurred any extra duty? Also has anyone found a useable voucher code?
    I think someone posted a $10 voucher in a earlier post.
    Regarding any duty charge, my Seestern is with Yodel at the moment so I should find out within the next 48hrs.
    If it's just been thrown over the garden wall by the Yodel I'll assume I've not been charged, if I get a demand first I'll expect it thrown over the wall a few days later.

If anyone prefers the Marenez version they will have a 20% sale on 20/09 using the code MAF

Regarding any duty charge, my Seestern is with Yodel at the moment so I should find out within the next 48hrs.
    If it's just been thrown over the garden wall by the Yodel I'll assume I've not been charged, if I get a demand first I'll expect it thrown over the wall a few days later.
    I am impressed they throw your parcels over the garden wall and not hide them behind (or sometimes inside) the rubbish bins. Or better still dump it an address in the next street and take a photo of someone else's porch as proof they have delivered it to your address.

Thanks, I'll see how your postage turns out, the voucher is mentioned but no code, I have had a look but cant find it currently.

Craftsman
    This took $10 off before but doesn't seem to work now

To celebrate our opening, you can use the following code to receive discounts on your first order:
    1 Watch - code: 10now
    2 Watches - code: 20now
    3 Watches - code: 30now

Also this popped up on YouTube yesterday

https://youtu.be/EoEb8eXuE3Q

My Seestern has just arrived so no extra charges yet...
    Very quick first impressions before I have to pop out, it's a nice hefty piece but very comfortable on the superb BoR bracelet, the Teal dial is a little muted however and doesn't pop as much as I thought it might. It looks an amazing value watch for the money and I'm very tempted to go for the yellow dial as well.
    I also have an NTH DevilRay incoming too which will be interesting to compare.

Master
    Very quick first impressions before I have to pop out, it's a nice hefty piece but very comfortable on the superb BoR bracelet, the Teal dial is a little muted however and doesn't pop as much as I thought it might. It looks an amazing value watch for the money and I'm very tempted to go for the yellow dial as well.
    From where did you order
    I’ve bought one from ailexpress

Craftsman
    Did you order direct from seestern?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you order direct from seestern?