TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doxa- Frog - Seestern

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The orange version I ordered from ailexpress arrived today
    Very quick
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Looks great did you pay the VAT through Aliexpress?

Master
    I paid just shy of £150 no mention of vat
    Item was declared on duaanie as $19- I haven’t sized it I’m on the fence as it’s great quality but I sort of feel a bit small on my wrist

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I paid just shy of £150 no mention of vat
    Item was declared on duaanie as $19- I haven’t sized it I’m on the fence as it’s great quality but I sort of feel a bit small on my wrist
    I think the £150 would include the vat from previous buys from Ali

What size is your wrist I've got the opposite issue that I'm wondering if it would be too big

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    ………,
    What size is your wrist I've got the opposite issue that I'm wondering if it would be too big
    It is the same size as a Doxa, which is fairly large, but I find that it sits well on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    It is the same size as a Doxa, which is fairly large, but I find that it sits well on the wrist.
    Thanks I've not tried a doxa my plan is to get a seestern then maybe look at a doxa if it wears well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I think the £150 would include the vat from previous buys from Ali

I’m approx 7 3/4

I bought an orange Tactical Frog after a WTB, as I'd always fancied a Doxa but didn't want to find I'd shelled out for something I didn't actually get on with. Having had it on the wrist for a week and been very happy with its dimensions and appearance, it's confirmed my view that I'd very much like a classic orange Doxa, so much so that I'll be ordering one from Jura next month.

I'll be putting the 'Frog on Sales Corner at the weekend. It has served its purpose and I hope it'll be appreciated by its next owner.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I bought an orange Tactical Frog after a WTB, as I'd always fancied a Doxa but didn't want to find I'd shelled out for something I didn't actually get on with. Having had it on the wrist for a week and been very happy with its dimensions and appearance, it's confirmed my view that I'd very much like a classic orange Doxa, so much so that I'll be ordering one from Jura next month.

I'll be putting the 'Frog on Sales Corner at the weekend. It has served its purpose and I hope it'll be appreciated by its next owner.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    I've got the same plan try it for a couple of months as a daily before committing to a 300T,anyone managed to get a discount on a Doxa ?

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    I've got the same plan try it for a couple of months as a daily before committing to a 300T,anyone managed to get a discount on a Doxa ?
    Doxa direct usually do holiday discount codes like Black Friday and 4th July, but typically on specific model choices.

Might get something off the UK sources like Jura at Xmas, but wouldn't count on it as often they land in the "excluded brands" category.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Doxa direct usually do holiday discount codes like Black Friday and 4th July, but typically on specific model choices.

Might get something off the UK sources like Jura at Xmas, but wouldn't count on it as often they land in the "excluded brands" category.
    I've just asked on an online chat at Sellors but although I've got a 10% discount code it's not valid on Doxa but they will give me a bracelet sizing tool free.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    As an opener and to add to the talk on the forum about Doxa “homages” three pics
    The Seestern arrived today and whilst not a Doxa is IMO a far better homage than the Frog and a far better build the bezel action is excellent as is the crown cannot comment on the bracelet as i am not a fan of bracelets so it’s now on a tropical.
    I know, I first bought the TF and was put off with the ridiculous "Tachymeter", the watch was also to low (height) and the color to dark and the lettering way to "Seiko". I sold it within 8 days. The Seestern, although the very tiny lettering, is much more a Doxa-ish watch. The bracelet is also better, more micro adjustments in the clasp, which doesn't have press buttons that can break. Not as luxurious a bracelet as the real deal, but good enough for a sub € 160 watch!! I have many watches with the SII NH35A on board, it is a reliable workhorse and this one is well regulated and everything is pretty perfect. Of course, also sapphire on top, pierced lugs, a lighted date wheel. What is not to like?

Last edited by James T. Kirk©; 1st October 2021 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I am sure they are marvellous, but I just cannot help but hear cistern in an allo allo accent. Which would prevent me from ever buying or wearing a seestern. Surely it should be SEAstern as a diver too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's German, and of course means Starfish

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk[emoji2398
    ;5844508]It's German, and of course means Starfish
    Apologies for anglicising it but zeeshtern then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Apologies for anglicising it but zeeshtern then?
    Oooh... Good point!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Went into a shop and tried on some doxa’s I really like the fit! Could get a really good deal on them, but did t pull the trigger! Think going to have to order one of these to try out first!!

Mine hasn’t arrived yet so I hope it’s here this week.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Right you bunch of b*st*rds, your constant praise for the Seestern means I had to order one. I've gone for the yellow. I didn't think there was much wrong with the Tactical Frog for the money but these sound even better quality and value.

Pics on arrival....obvs :)

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Went into a shop and tried on some doxa’s I really like the fit! Could get a really good deal on them, but did t pull the trigger! Think going to have to order one of these to try out first!!
    Doxa’s now available in shops?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    They are in London and other big cities.
    They are available in a number of prominent retail locations now.

Craftsman
    End of October now for more stock

Sent from my moto g(8) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Yeah, AMJ in Newark has them, had the carbon version too

James Porter in the Argyle Arcade in Glasgow have had them for about 18 months, I think.

Edit: just checked & I posted about them in March 2020.

Edit again: WATCHES OF SWITZERLAND SOHO 60 Greene St, New York, NY 10012 is an AD for our American members.
    Last edited by jwg663; 3rd October 2021 at 19:26.
    ______

​Jim.

Maybe I should've bought the yellow version, it would brightened up the day.

Haha, I have bought the yellow and and have been wondering whether I should have gotten the one you have!

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post

Blue looks like the nicest one, been thinking of getting one but trying not to justify buying another watch

Master
    Just been informed that due to a large faulty batch of cases mine wouldn't have shipped for 30 days so I've cancelled my order.

I also read somewhere that there'd been a batch of dodgy hands delaying orders. Encouraging that they seem to have good QC.

Just been informed that due to a large faulty batch of cases mine wouldn't have shipped for 30 days so I've cancelled my order.

I managed to resist for a while but finally gave into a yellow version to compare to my vintage Doxa's.

Have to say I am mightily impressed with it, sized it and put it on last night and its got a nice heft about it and the bracelet is exceedingly comfortable. I love the plain face, same as my Doxa's with no US Divers logo, looks very clean.

Is it a Doxa, no, but it is a new beater for me to wear all day working without worrying about destroying a £1500 quid watch but having the same design as my favourite vintage watch.

Might have to get an orange one next ............
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    I managed to resist for a while but finally gave into a yellow version to compare to my vintage Doxa's.

Have to say I am mightily impressed with it, sized it and put it on last night and its got a nice heft about it and the bracelet is exceedingly comfortable. I love the plain face, same as my Doxa's with no US Divers logo, looks very clean.

Is it a Doxa, no, but it is a new beater for me to wear all day working without worrying about destroying a £1500 quid watch but having the same design as my favourite vintage watch.

Might have to get an orange one next ............
    That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too. I now don’t have any Doxas, but previously had a couple of vintage, which I liked, followed by a modern one that I wasn’t impressed with.
    My (yellow) Seestern is destined to be a regular ‘beater’ and hopefully it survives that while acquiring the patina that befits a proper ‘tool’ watch.
    How is it that Steeldive, Seestern etc can build and sell watches with Seiko movements that are regulated to a decent standard, while Seiko seem unable to, at least at the sub £500 price point?

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too. I now don’t have any Doxas, but previously had a couple of vintage, which I liked, followed by a modern one that I wasn’t impressed with.
    My (yellow) Seestern is destined to be a regular ‘beater’ and hopefully it survives that while acquiring the patina that befits a proper ‘tool’ watch.
    How is it that Steeldive, Seestern etc can build and sell watches with Seiko movements that are regulated to a decent standard, while Seiko seem unable to, at least at the sub £500 price point?
    I guess the proof will be in the pudding Tom. If it can survive the rigours its about to get with me from steam work to vintage land rovers and fixing PC's (the worst for scratching cases and glass) then I will be a happy camper. My Doxa's have certainly survived well over the years before I got them and started mollycoddling them !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    I guess the proof will be in the pudding Tom. If it can survive the rigours its about to get with me from steam work to vintage land rovers and fixing PC's (the worst for scratching cases and glass) then I will be a happy camper. My Doxa's have certainly survived well over the years before I got them and started mollycoddling them !
    I sounds like you’re likely to be testing it more rigorously than I will, so it will be good to know how that goes. If mine ends up with a mellow, ‘lived’ appearance I’ll be very happy.

Master
    That's the issue for me Tom... No doubt they can, I just suspect their profit margins are too inflated.

These Chinese brands and unbelievable for the money.

Master
    Cancelled my order and got a full refund.
    Has anyone not bonded and would like to move on in either yellow or aquamarine please ?

I really don't see the point of giving people a tracking reference and signposting them to tracking sites when the parcel has been un-trackable throughout the whole journey! Yesterday, eventually, the information changed and directed me to the Yodel site. Guess what? No record of the tracking reference there either.

I really don't see the point of giving people a tracking reference and signposting them to tracking sites when the parcel has been un-trackable throughout the whole journey! Yesterday, eventually, the information changed and directed me to the Yodel site. Guess what? No record of the tracking reference there either.
    Think I ordered mine on the same day as you. Received a tracking number and link to track the parcel.

Had an email yesterday confirming the quality issues of the cases and a 20 - 30 day delay whilst the new batch of cases were on order. Offered a $10 refund a free rubber strap for the inconvenience or a full refund. Happy to wait but the watch had clearly not been sent despite the tracking info.

All speculation but wondering whether they were still taking orders for watches they did not have in stock, were due in, but which have subsequently been delayed longer than anticipated. No issues but strange to allegedly run out of hands initially then have a quality problem with the cases........

In fairness my part refund was facilitated quickly and received a follow up from Coco thanking me for my patience and understanding. Customer service appears to be very good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Think I ordered mine on the same day as you. Received a tracking number and link to track the parcel.

Had an email yesterday confirming the quality issues of the cases and a 20 - 30 day delay whilst the new batch of cases were on order. Offered a $10 refund a free rubber strap for the inconvenience or a full refund. Happy to wait but the watch had clearly not been sent despite the tracking info.

All speculation but wondering whether they were still taking orders for watches they did not have in stock, were due in, but which have subsequently been delayed longer than anticipated. No issues but strange to allegedly run out of hands initially then have a quality problem with the cases........

In fairness my part refund was facilitated quickly and received a follow up from Coco thanking me for my patience and understanding. Customer service appears to be very good.
    I agree that comms are very good but not good business practice to take funds when knowingly out of stock which has cost me in 2 lots of currency transaction charges.

............not good business practice to take funds when knowingly out of stock which has cost me in 2 lots of currency transaction charges.
    Can not argue with you there. The potential losses in conversion fees was one of my primary considerations in not taking the full refund. Bad enough losing money when selling at the best of times. Frustrating when you lose out when you have not even had the enjoyment of opening the thing, let alone wearing it.

Hope your out of pocket expenses are minimal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Can not argue with you there. The potential losses in conversion fees was one of my primary considerations in not taking the full refund. Bad enough losing money when selling at the best of times. Frustrating when you lose out when you have not even had the enjoyment of opening the thing, let alone wearing it.

Hope your out of pocket expenses are minimal.
    I've done a deal on a LNIB yellow TZ forum watch now and saved a few £'s in the end so quite happy thanks to 2 true forum members.

Craftsman
    I've just seen on instagram they might be bringing out a black and navy dial so I might wait for one of them rather than order an orange when they're back in stock

Update: I emailed this morning re tracking and they've replied saying mine is one of those in the faulty batch and apologised for not telling me. I've chosen the refund option. Disappointing but not the end of the world.

I'm curious, Doxa now offer a rubber strap alternative to the bracelet which appears closely fitted to the case, is the Seestern the same?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Got a frog today
    Have to say I’m
    Impressed
    I don’t like the sisal no the seestern
    Pleased with this - just need to sort sizing the bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines coming from Wicked Watch which seems to be in Germany.
    $209 including $30 express shipping just hope in comes in under the radar.
    Do you have a link to there website?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soesgsxr View Post
    Do you have a link to there website?
    It was ordered on the Seestern website and when I got to checkout with PayPal it changed to Wicked Watch in Germany after I chose Express Shipping so I presumed it was in stock in Germany so only 3 days delivery but sadly that wasn't the case so I wouldn't go for that option I was you just have standard delivery and wait, once they are back in stock of course, website now saying pre-order for end of October delivery.

This video might be if interest

https://youtu.be/gQo9goUCCSA

I agree that the dial of TF is more balanced but eventually overall quality goes first

Craftsman
    I absolutely love the dial colour. It’s really brings the watch to life.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Got a frog today
    Have to say I’m
    Impressed
    I don’t like the sisal no the seestern
    Pleased with this - just need to sort sizing the bracelet

Hello Sweepinghand - What colour did you get? Do you have any wristshots? I'm keeping an eye on these at the moment. I like the TF name and brings out the inner child in me. But one thing I like, is that the TF is slimmer than the Seestern, or so I've heard. Can you confirm how well it sits on your wrist, and whether it is tall? I would compare it to my SKX009, which for me is too thick. The SKX I think is over 13mm. But I've read the TF is less than 13mm. I have a 7.5 inch wrist and not sure whether this would be too big....

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Hello Sweepinghand - What colour did you get? Do you have any wristshots? I'm keeping an eye on these at the moment. I like the TF name and brings out the inner child in me. But one thing I like, is that the TF is slimmer than the Seestern, or so I've heard. Can you confirm how well it sits on your wrist, and whether it is tall? I would compare it to my SKX009, which for me is too thick. The SKX I think is over 13mm. But I've read the TF is less than 13mm. I have a 7.5 inch wrist and not sure whether this would be too big....
    Got orange
    Not sized it yet as need to add links

However - a girl in our office who obvs has slim wrists popped it on and it looked awesome on her!

From the same company, is this a bit too close for comfort to be a "homage"?
    Even so it's not exactly a cheapie at £565.

https://seesternwatches.com/shop/ols...p3NsO3GodKSA7Y