closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor BB58

Tudor BB58

Black one on bracelet , new model with 'in house' movement, bought one as a playing out watch, what can I expect in comparison to my Railmaster quality wise? Will it hold up to the mighty Omega ?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Great watches, very solid. Some had an issue with the 12 o'clock lume pip falling out.
    Seem to scratch fairly easily, but certainly a fantastic tool watch!

I had a black bay, i thought it was a little better made than my Oris watches, above average bracelet, clasp and fittings.
    Didnt like the flat crystal with no AR, poor timekeeping but it was the ETA model. Still when my slow beat £28 handwinder junk thrashes it in timekeeping you have to wonder if Tudor actually took time to regulate properly. I read others on here say they had the same issue, sent it back to Tudor only to have a long wait time and the watch still had poor timekeeping when it came back.

Have had mine since it was released three years.
    Had no problems whatsoever.
    Proper tool watch.
    Though have to admit, that the time keeping is a bit off, looses 3-4 seconds per day, there abouts, but that doesn't worry me.

Master
    Case and bracelet as good as my omega all be it the omega case has more going on with twisted lugs. Both my tudor GMT and 58 are as accurate as my onega 8500 movement as well. The omega i think is better finished from a dial perspective in terms of attention to detail and materials. Omega elements are white gold and rhodium plated. Tudor elements are steel I believe. Also the movement finishing on the omega is superior if that matters to you.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 10th September 2021 at 13:13.

3 seconds still within COSC so that wouldn't bother me, I think the newer thinner models have less issues than the earlier ones but I've not done a lot of research tbh, just like the look of it

I'm.trying to find out of the AR is on the outside as one on eBay is marked and he thinks is outside AR that would be annoying , the Railmaster correctly has it on the inside, anyone know?

Master
    Last summer I had both the BB58 and new Railmaster and had to choose between them. The BB58 won since I prefer the option to have a bezel for timing my dinner. Plus, the rotor noise from the Railmaster echo chamber case was winding me up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Got mine 3 weeks ago and firmly in honeymoon period (apologies, it’s all I seem to post about on here now, bb bore).

Quality is great to me, and it has lost 3 seconds over 3 weeks (moves around a bit but seems to balance out)

Have both, wear them more than anything else in the box by a long margin.

I have both black and blue 58s and they are every bit as good as my 5 Omega watches and better timekeepers - they run at +1 and +4 seconds per day. In all fairness my Omegas have older movements (863, 1861s).

Incidentally, someone mentioned flat sapphire but must have the watches mixed up. All 58s have a domed sapphire crystal.

Last edited by Saxon007; 10th September 2021 at 16:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Incidentally, someone mentioned flat sapphire but must have the watches mixed up. All 58s have a domed sapphire crystal.
    I think that was about an older ETA black bay.

How do you find owning both black and blue?

Craftsman
    Have had a black dial BB58 for a couple of years. Took part in the summertime time keeping challenge on this very forum, and came out exactly 0 seconds ahead 6 months later. In a word, incredible. Get one, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Have had a black dial BB58 for a couple of years. Took part in the summertime time keeping challenge on this very forum, and came out exactly 0 seconds ahead 6 months later. In a word, incredible. Get one, you won't regret it.
    One is on the way

Own both. Omega is a better package all round but then its RRP is considerably more than the Tudor. Even if I would expect to be offered a decent discount on the Railmaster. That said the 58 has charm by the bucket load and if one had to go it would be the former

Struggle to make a decent bracelet/clasp out of the pair of them mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Jovial Joe View Post
    Own both. Omega is a better package all round but then its RRP is considerably more than the Tudor. Even if I would expect to be offered a decent discount on the Railmaster. That said the 58 has charm by the bucket load and if one had to go it would be the former

Struggle to make a decent bracelet/clasp out of the pair of them mind...
    The croc and deployant on my Railmaster is lovely, it is however very annoying Tudor don't put micro adjustment on a 2700 quid watch clasp

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I like them both - they are a great size for me and have excellent legibility, I can tell the time at a quick glance from any angle. I wear the black one on the bracelet and the blue one on either an Erika's Original or a $20 EO knock off which matches the color better. I scuffed up the clasp on the black one quickly (which is to be expected) so when I got the blue one I put it on a strap to provide some variety and keep the bracelet scratch free for a bit. If I could only keep one I would keep the blue - I have other black divers but this is my only blue one. I have a 40 year old Tudor Sub that looks and runs great so I expect these to age as gracefully as the old Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    The croc and deployant on my Railmaster is lovely, it is however very annoying Tudor don't put micro adjustment on a 2700 quid watch clasp

I agree that the Omega deployant is a lovely and very neat thing. I have the current denim Railmaster on the bracelet. Absolute pig to get it a decent fit for me and no micro whatsoever. Not even the rudimentary adjustment offered by the Tudor.
    The ceramic bearings in the Tudor are a lovely touch though and fingers crossed that the on the fly facility featured on the new bronze 58 will make it's way across the range

Yeah I mean who carries a strap tool around with them? My wrists don't expand to much and quote like a loose watch so hopefully ok

Craftsman
    I love mine, got it in the black on the SS bracelet however I did try on the blue model also which was gorgeous but the black won in the end, probably because I already have a blue dial Seamaster 300m in the collection.

My BB58 is and has been successfully running +/- 0 seconds per day so very happy with that.....

I am now wearing mine, it very much does live up to the hype

But the lack of micro adjustment is it's only flaw. It's two holes short on the clasp imo or really should have an on the fly clasp.

I am one hole short on one side as is, when I put in an extra link I'm one hole short the other.

It's almost there, my wrists do expand and contract quote a bit as I do drink a lot of coffee

It's not really an issue the for is ok just not perfect, and certainly not a deal breaker and of course there is always leather or NATO. But it's a bracelet watch for me.

Reading up on what is 'in house' re movements has been quite enlightening

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like them the 58 case is much nicer to my eye than the normal black bay. I am a big fan of the 925 version too.

Craftsman
    I think that was about an older ETA black bay.

The older ETA BlackBay black you were referring to was the Smiley, 79220N I think? Bigger than the BB58 at 41mm. Same styled dome Crystal. Love that watch, have one myself but also just bought a BB58 blue.
    Last edited by tswatch66; 14th September 2021 at 16:34.

Thanks for the replies, it's on my wrist and it's a superb watch and quality wise it's up there with the Railmaster but because it's a busier watch and has more about it the quality feel is stronger .

Anyway, brown leather for 200 quid from eBay is on its way ( seems a bargain when Chrono prices for the clasp is 400/500 on its own ) , and it's not a fake , plus a Bulang on the way was well. Let's see what leather does to it

Journeyman
    Haven't heard a bad word being said about a BB58 by any owners I know. Probably the best watch IMO in its price range

I am now wearing mine, it very much does live up to the hype

But the lack of micro adjustment is it's only flaw. It's two holes short on the clasp imo or really should have an on the fly clasp.

I am one hole short on one side as is, when I put in an extra link I'm one hole short the other.

It's almost there, my wrists do expand and contract quote a bit as I do drink a lot of coffee

It's not really an issue the for is ok just not perfect, and certainly not a deal breaker and of course there is always leather or NATO. But it's a bracelet watch for me.

Reading up on what is 'in house' re movements has been quite enlightening

I noted Uncle Seiko have a half link for sale which could solve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I noted Uncle Seiko have a half link for sale which could solve this issue.
    Not in stock yet, I'm waiting on them, think a guy in WUS got a sampler

Not in stock yet, I'm waiting on them, think a guy in WUS got a sampler

Makes me feel better, thought I’d just missed out when I’d ordered the jubilee for mine which I’m waiting to fit.

Craftsman
    I can't think of another watch in its price range that stands up to it quality-wise. That being said if im honest its not a patch on the latest Seamaster Pro IMO (which is probably to be expected at £1500 or so more).

Tempted to switch mine out for the new BB ceramic.

Thanks for the replies, it's on my wrist and it's a superb watch and quality wise it's up there with the Railmaster but because it's a busier watch and has more about it the quality feel is stronger .

Anyway, brown leather for 200 quid from eBay is on its way ( seems a bargain when Chrono prices for the clasp is 400/500 on its own ) , and it's not a fake , plus a Bulang on the way was well. Let's see what leather does to it

Great choices!
    It does this sort of stuff to the 58, 100% at home on leather!

Craftsman

plus a Bulang on the way was well.

Glad you’re enjoying it!

This looks great, tempted for mine too, anyone have any strong thoughts on Bulang vs JPM?

When people mention an adjustable clasp I’m not a fan of the pelagos one (just based on pics) but the bronze one looks perfect.

Bulang are made by JPM aren't they?

Bulang are made by JPM aren't they?

Bulang & Sons stock JPM straps and other lines.

Watch Obsession in the UK also stock JPM although less of a range.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post

This suggests they make them as well

The straps are produced in Italy by Jean Paul Menicucci.

Bulang and Sons were the first to stock them and they are using a bit of poetic licence in saying they are "their" straps. What they mean is straps they offer.

The straps are produced in Italy by Jean Paul Menicucci.

Bulang and Sons were the first to stock them and they are using a bit of poetic licence in saying they are "their" straps. What they mean is straps they offer.
    Ah ok thanks ,

Craftsman
    Ha - at least I’m being consistent liking both! Thanks for clearing that up

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Great choices!
    It does this sort of stuff to the 58, 100% at home on leather!
    I wasn't planning on taking mine off the bracelet however, I did pick up one of these single pass NATOs as it does seem to give off the same vibe as the Tudor OEM nato but without the price tag.

Considering that I may not even take the watch off the bracelet, this was a much cheaper option to have lying around just in case so to speak.

https://www.watchgecko.com/henwick-s...ap-black-beige

Pretty decent quality strap to be honest.

If the bracelet had micro adjustment on the fly, or a half link, or an extra 2 holes in the clasp, or didn't have faux rivets I'd be we take it off. But it doesn't , it's very good actually, well made and the ceramic clasp is superb. But because it's not perfect it pushing me to experiment with leather options.

If you buy a leather strap with a deployant from a dealer I think it's 4 or 5 hundred quid, clasp only in Chrono24 are 450+

Well, I blagged a genuine Tudor leather and deployant for 200 quid from eBay andddddd it's poor. 7 1/2" wrist and the strap has a very long section and a short one, so it doesn't sit nicely in the middle of your wrist , it looks odd. Plus you can't remove the second keeper due to the taper.

So one down. It does look good though, the watch seems a strap monster, so we'll see how the Bulang looks

Craftsman
    So one down. It does look good though, the watch seems a strap monster, so we'll see how the Bulang looks
    Ordered my distressed JPM/Bulang this eve from watchobsession after they restocked the short ones - doesn’t sound like you need the shorties though

Ordered my distressed JPM/Bulang this eve from watchobsession after they restocked the short ones - doesn’t sound like you need the shorties though
    Nah I prefer longer straps

Master

WO JPM’s are considerably cheaper than B&S too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, I blagged a genuine Tudor leather and deployant for 200 quid from eBay andddddd it's poor. 7 1/2" wrist and the strap has a very long section and a short one, so it doesn't sit nicely in the middle of your wrist , it looks odd. Plus you can't remove the second keeper due to the taper.

This will sound really condescending and I genuinely don’t mean it to, but many people make the mistake of fitting the long end on the six o’clock side instead of the 12.
    I have a similar sized wrist to you and the clasp sat perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    This will sound really condescending and I genuinely don’t mean it to, but many people make the mistake of fitting the long end on the six o’clock side instead of the 12.
    I have a similar sized wrist to you and the clasp sat perfectly.
    Good shout I'll swop it around. I've always done it that way as the deployant is easier to close for me and prefer the strap sticking outside not the in

Well this hits the mark, underwhelmed by the stock leather on deployant, this is much better

Oh and the strap says

Bulang&Son + JPM lol

That looks cracking Dave.
    Would be tempted myself to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    That looks cracking Dave.
    Would be tempted myself to get one.
    It's superb quality, not cheap and I think someone said JPM cheaper from Watch Obsession , if they are the same , not sure

But this really adds to the vintage look and feel

If the bracelet had micro adjustment on the fly, or a half link, or an extra 2 holes in the clasp, or didn't have faux rivets I'd be we take it off. But it doesn't , it's very good actually, well made and the ceramic clasp is superb. But because it's not perfect it pushing me to experiment with leather options.

If you buy a leather strap with a deployant from a dealer I think it's 4 or 5 hundred quid, clasp only in Chrono24 are 450+

Chrono24 prices tend to be on the high side compared with an AD. My AD quoted £395 for the strap and clasp for a blue BB58.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Chrono24 prices tend to be on the high side compared with an AD. My AD quoted £395 for the strap and clasp for a blue BB58.
    Good to know thanks , at least I got a good deal at 200, well tbh I dont like it anyway