closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having hard cash

Post office took the lot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I prefer Cash, coins & notes can be washed disinfected whatever you see fit.
    I can spend it where I want and not be tracked or watched. Spending on card, or phone, or even tinternet. They know who you paid, what you paid, what you bought and can block further funds. Cash is freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agree, for all its downfalls at least it doesn’t allow whoever is watching to be able to build a digital picture of your entire life

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Agree, for all its downfalls at least it doesn’t allow whoever is watching to be able to build a digital picture of your entire life
    Who do you think that is and to what end?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Who do you think that is and to what end?
    Supermarkets are a good start. They know everything about you, especially if you use their loyalty card. They monitor what you buy what your trends are, how old you are, how many kids, eating habits. Banks know exactly what and where you’re going and spending. Restaurant chains also pick up about you too.

Master
    Supermarkets are a good start. They know everything about you, especially if you use their loyalty card. They monitor what you buy what your trends are, how old you are, how many kids, eating habits. Banks know exactly what and where you’re going and spending. Restaurant chains also pick up about you too.

And what would “they” do with this information that is detrimental to your freedom? Send you tailored marketing? Offers specific to your previous shopping?? Scandalous!!

PS - I use cash most of the time, as I can’t be arsed checking for refunds going into cards correctly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    And what would “they” do with this information that is detrimental to your freedom? Send you tailored marketing? Offers specific to your previous shopping?? Scandalous!!

PS - I use cash most of the time, as I can’t be arsed checking for refunds going into cards correctly
    I think the examples given are less about loss of freedom and more about privacy. That being said the two are very closely related

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    I think the examples given are less about loss of freedom and more about privacy. That being said the two are very closely related
    But if a slight loss of privacy saves you some dosh without impinging on your freedom, is it really worth getting your knickers in a twist?

Depends I suppose. I’m not bothered that Asda know I buy a lot of Guinness and size 6 Pampers but each to their own.

You are far more under scrutiny by CCTV - you will have been caught on camera multiple times going to the cashpoint, supermarket (including internal security cameras) and restaurant.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    There are 19 countries in the Euro Zone & each central bank can issue its own design (with some restrictions) of 7 different Euro denomination (5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 & 500) notes.

Now, that's complicated...
    The notes are identical, aside from the serial number prefix? The coins can indeed have different images on one side, but you couldn't really confuse them. It's great to spot an unusual coin in your mundane pile of change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You are far more under scrutiny by CCTV - you will have been caught on camera multiple times going to the cashpoint, supermarket (including internal security cameras) and restaurant.
    True, but they don’t know what my cash is buying. Plus Where I live not many cctv’s. If I travel, I regularly switch off my mobile totally for a couple hundred miles. Then back on. A good watch on wrist can always be used as surety too especially a recognised brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but they don’t know what my cash is buying. Plus Where I live not many cctv’s. If I travel, I regularly switch off my mobile totally for a couple hundred miles. Then back on. A good watch on wrist can always be used as surety too especially a recognised brand.
    It's not important Mick, more important stuff to worry about.

You will be on CCTV at pretty much every retail outlet you shop at - they know.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 22nd September 2021 at 22:40.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Rare that I venture into major retail outlets, cctv with my hat I’ll be instantly recognised and Land Rover Defender too Desert Rat.
    Thank goodness I live in sleepy North Northumberland nearest city 33 miles away. Not been for over two years

Mick, I can see you now in the city centre with a chai tea latte on your MacBook Pro in the middle of a Starbucks talking about smashed avocado and gluten free bread.

Master
    @Mick - they can never see you if you never look up, but your hat covers all bases. Good job that man!

I was going to say that, with a modern car they can track your movements anyway, but as you’ve got a Defender, they just need to follow the oil drips until they reach a breakdown van!

Hardly carry cash, a tenner at most for use at the farm for milk and eggs.
    Everything else on my Starling card.
    The fact you have a mobile gives Google a all the answers.

Always cash with me.

If I go to an antique/flea market and I see a watch I fancy, got the cash to buy.

If I sell it's cash - just how it has always been done.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I like and collect wallets, and try a wide range of them, from bi-folds to metal card holders, some of which have no cash carrying capacity.

In the same way that most young people no longer wear watches, in the near future they won't be carrying wallets. Everything will be on their smartphone, loyalty cards, smart payment options and IDs.

As for the Scottish notes, like others, I try to take Bank of England notes when travelling as it avoids all the ignorant "what's this then?" nonsense.

I do remember one occasion when on a work trip to London, retrieving some computers and taking a black cab from Camden to Heathrow, the cabbie was outraged when we paid in Scottish notes. He didn't want to take them. Well it was either that or a free ride. :) He took them.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You're assuming your data stays with the company that gathers it. That's not always the case. Some opt outs are unclear.

You'd be surprised at what can be deduced and then sold. And that's without leaks or hackers, the cases of which aren't always published.

Once you're on a list you may be targeted. Typically such lists should be deduped and cleaned regularly but they may not be.

The plus side is that if they know you very well, they can predict when something out of the ordinary happens to your account and they may double check it's you.

That purchase of a custard yellow Emergency, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

As for the Scottish notes, like others, I try to take Bank of England notes when travelling as it avoids all the ignorant "what's this then?" nonsense.
    Why nonsense, how should us in England know what your notes look like?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Mick, I can see you now in the city centre with a chai tea latte on your MacBook Pro in the middle of a Starbucks talking about smashed avocado and gluten free bread.
    Couldn’t be further from the truth lol I rarely venture to any city. MacBook Pro replaced by a Mac off here, so just a mobile. Don’t drink chai tea latte or other such drinks. I certainly never frequent Starbucks or Costa Packet. Definitely wouldn’t talk about a avocado and gluten free bread.
    A mug of tea, or a pint of ale and a chip butty. Now yer talking, some pork scratchings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was going to say that, with a modern car they can track your movements anyway, but as you’ve got a Defender, they just need to follow the oil drips until they reach a breakdown van!
    So true but she’s been faultless since I’ve had her,
    Never broke down, leaks body fluids but 7 years hassle free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hardly carry cash, a tenner at most for use at the farm for milk and eggs.
    Everything else on my Starling card.
    The fact you have a mobile gives Google a all the answers.
    Just DuckDuckGo on my phone, Google long gone.

How should us in Scotland know what your notes look like?

What’s the difference?

Having hard cash

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

What’s the difference?
    They’re not our notes. The Bank of England is the central bank of the UK so they’re yours too.

Difference is that that bank is backed by the UK Government your banks are limited companies.

Imagine you also know what BoE notes look like. I’ve no idea what yours look like. Probably seen 2 or 3 in my lifetime.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th September 2021 at 14:49.

Having hard cash

They’re not our notes. The Bank of England is the central bank of the UK so they’re yours too.

Difference is that that bank is backed by the UK Government your banks are limited companies.

Imagine you also know what BoE notes look like. I’ve no idea what yours look like. Probably seen 2 or 3 in my lifetime.
    You’d be surprised - most notes I see up here are Scottish not BoE. I’m just surprised people would really refuse to accept a Scottish note.

Given that the BoE regulates the issuance of Scottish notes and the UK government does back these issues notes (they must be backed by equivalent value assets), I still see no valid reason to refuse them.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 24th September 2021 at 15:28.

I recognise the top one and the middle one but I don't think I've seen the bottom one.

There's a big difference between:

- Knowing Scotland has its own notes and respectfully asking if the payer has any other notes if you're unsure
    - Holding such a note as if it's a fake while making a derisive comment

I have seen the latter reaction quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I recognise the top one and the middle one but I don't think I've seen the bottom one.

There's a big difference between:

- Knowing Scotland has its own notes and respectfully asking if the payer has any other notes if you're unsure
    - Holding such a note as if it's a fake while making a derisive comment

I have seen the latter reaction quite a lot.
    This

Master
    As a fairly regular visitor to RoI I have to carry two types of currency, ie € and £, on top of which, IIRC, 4 local banks issue their own notes. From experience there are also quite a few Scottish notes in circulation.
    Should be a forgers' paradise.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Of course nonsense. If you travel to a foreign country and get issued local currency, do you reject them because you don’t know what they look like?

Scottish notes are Sterling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    Of course nonsense. If you travel to a foreign country and get issued local currency, do you reject them because you don’t know what they look like?

Scottish notes are Sterling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd accept local currency because I was in that country. Would also be expecting them, would be more familiar with them, wouldn't be an alternative of being give GBPs and they could easily be spent.

What does Scottish notes being sterling even mean - just that they are denominated in pounds?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    As a fairly regular visitor to RoI I have to carry two types of currency, ie € and £, on top of which, IIRC, 4 local banks issue their own notes. From experience there are also quite a few Scottish notes in circulation.
    Should be a forgers' paradise.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Also from NI, where all UK notes have been in circulation all my life and I'm old enough to remember when the RoI pound was on par with Sterling and all the various RoI bank notes were also in circulation. That ceased with the ERM in 1979 or thereabouts, when the Irish punt was no longer pegged to sterling. We will occasionally see IoM bank notes in circulation too, although strictly speaking not legal tender outside IoM. I have no idea what would happen if you tried to lodge in a bank account, but I have never know anyone to refuse to accept them in a transaction.

I'd accept local currency because I was in that country. Would also be expecting them, would be more familiar with them, wouldn't be an alternative of being give GBPs and they could easily be spent.

What does Scottish notes being sterling even mean - just that they are denominated in pounds?
    It means they are asset backed and UK government approved currency. Therefore it means banks will accept and /or exchange them for the same amount.

Out of curiosity if you accept local currency then what would you do when visiting Scotland - would you accept the notes up here? Genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Also from NI, where all UK notes have been in circulation all my life and I'm old enough to remember when the RoI pound was on par with Sterling and all the various RoI bank notes were also in circulation. That ceased with the ERM in 1979 or thereabouts, when the Irish punt was no longer pegged to sterling. We will occasionally see IoM bank notes in circulation too, although strictly speaking not legal tender outside IoM. I have no idea what would happen if you tried to lodge in a bank account, but I have never know anyone to refuse to accept them in a transaction.
    If you take them to a bank they will happily exchange them. There are also Falklands Islands pounds which can be exchanged at your bank on a 1:1 basis

Master
    If you take them to a bank they will happily exchange them. There are also Falklands Islands pounds which can be exchanged at your bank on a 1:1 basis
    Good to know, although I have never know anyone to be wary of accepting or using them in NI. The Channel Island banks also issue their own notes, so I expect the same would apply.

But it is local currency, which is my point! Scotland is part of the UK whose currency as a country is Sterling.

So, by your reasoning the millions of English tourists who visited Scotland recently for the first time, and whose English notes were happily accepted in every establishment, would reject their change unless they were English notes because they don’t know what Scottish notes look like?

But it is local currency, which is my point! Scotland is part of the UK whose currency as a country is Sterling.

So, by your reasoning the millions of English tourists who visited Scotland recently for the first time, and whose English notes were happily accepted in every establishment, would reject their change unless they were English notes because they don’t know what Scottish notes look like?

It's not local currency in England and it's my prerogative to reject your notes in England. Visitors to Scotland can do as they wish.

It's not local currency in England and it's my prerogative to reject your notes in England. Visitors to Scotland can do as they wish.
    Would you think it was reasonable if we rejected BoE notes up here? It is after all our prerogative also - but would you think it was a reasonable thing to do?

The argument of legal tender always amuses me given that English notes aren’t legal tender here either .

Bottom line for me personally is that I accept English notes simply because it would be pig ignorant not to. YMMV

Would you think it was reasonable if we rejected BoE notes up here? It is after all our prerogative also - but would you think it was a reasonable thing to do?

The argument of legal tender always amuses me given that English notes aren’t legal tender here either .
    Would be reasonable if it was to be expected and common practice. Traders would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't.

I'm well aware of what legal tender means too though not so easily amused.

Ffs! Local currency in England, NI, Wales and Scotland is… Sterling!

Ffs! Local currency in England, NI, Wales and Scotland is… Sterling!

It’s Sterling in Gibraltar, the Falklands and many other places too, don’t want their notes either.

Why not just accept that many people, like myself, just don’t want your notes? No need for us to justify ourselves, get over it.

It’s Sterling in Gibraltar, the Falklands and many other places too, don’t want their notes either.

Why not just accept that many people, like myself, just don’t want your notes? No need for us to justify ourselves, get over it.
    Ah, now we’re getting to the real point! Enjoy your bubble, happy to leave you in it

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    By coincidence I`ve just had a similar situation with old style £20 notes (English ones, not those Jocko Groats). I found a £20 note folded up in a trouser pocket, probably been there a couple of years or more and its definitely been through the wash. We also found one at my sisters house whilst helping her clear it.

Mrs Walker kindly offered to get them swapped at the bank this morning, only to be told they're still legal tender until November and on that basis the bank wouldn't change them! Seems daft but that's what she was told. I could pay them into my bank account but the prospect of queuing at the bank and making a special trip to do so doesn`t fill me with glee.

I suspect many shops will be reluctant to accept them and there's definitely some confusion around this.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/22/when-...-12728497/amp/

You've got a good while longer to spend them, I doubt shops will worry about taking them till the day they stop being valid.

When I worked in a bank shops regularly paid in old notes they had accepted in error.

- - - Updated - - -

[
    Last edited by kace; 25th September 2021 at 13:40. Reason: Double tapped the post button

What’s the difference?
    Didn't help this kid...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...anknote-fiver/

Having hard cash

Ah, now we’re getting to the real point! Enjoy your bubble, happy to leave you in it

And what is that (in your mind)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Nicely illustrates my POV.

Master

Having hard cash

Nicely illustrates my POV.
    I think you are being deliberately argumentative. As a taxi driver I used to get Scottish notes every time Wales Played Scotland in Cardiff. I just accept them and bank them on the Monday morning.
    You seem to be making a big issue out of something that isn’t.
    That bus driver was a nob, end of. Who the hell would make an 11 year old kid walk two miles to school when he actually has the power to issue a ticket anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think you are being deliberately argumentative. As a taxi driver I used to get Scottish notes every time Wales Played Scotland in Cardiff. I just accept them and bank them on the Monday morning.
    You seem to be making a big issue out of something that isn’t.
    Not at all and it takes two to argue. I've stated my point, I won't accept them because I'm unfamiliar with them and they may be difficult to pass on (as the bus-driver story illustrates).

You, as a taxi driver will obviously see them more often and go to the bank regularly. I don't.

People making an issue of it are a few sad Scottish residents who for some reason feel aggrieved that I don't want to accept them.

Having hard cash

And what is that (in your mind)?
    Oh let me see…

…that you’re an ignorant bigot?

And yes, you are being purely argumentative otherwise you would have left the building by now with your prejudice intact and wouldn’t still be baiting the comments!

Last edited by pinpull; 26th September 2021 at 16:30.