closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really bad replica cars

Jesus, is that an exhaust or a supercharger exiting in front of the suicide door?

An air filter/silencer iirc. It's a Perkins Prima 2 litre diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    ...Whoever is responsible for that Rolls should be hung up by their heels!
    Geely, who own Volvo, Polestar & Lotus, used to make a Rolls-a-like -

______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Why would someone do this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255121519...4922%7Ciid%3A1

The thing that gets me, is he has gone to huge trouble to create this monstrosity, out of an XK8 that would have been a perfectly nice car. He's even gone as far as stitching the logo into the seat backs, and putting fake maker plates in the engine bay.

At then end of what must have been a very long and expensive process, did he stand back and say to himself, "Nailed it, no-one will ever know!"

Every single line and proportion is wrong.

I just don't get it.
    that is truly awful, an abomination of a car

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    An air filter/silencer iirc. It's a Perkins Prima 2 litre diesel.
    Looks impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Certainly looks interesting. Had no idea there was a dedicated show.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Looks impressive.
    I think that his description as "a luxurious motorhome styled on the Winnebago ethos of comfort and beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

On the other hand, he does have a camper for c. £400.

Looks fantastic. Split screen, two-tone, probably sounds like Thor gargling rocks.

Hopefully it doesn't have one of those stickers that says don't come knocking if the suspension is rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I think that his description as "a luxurious motorhome styled on the Winnebago ethos of comfort and beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

On the other hand, he does have a camper for c. £400.
    You really have to want to go on holiday to use that, don’t you?
    Slightly more appealing than an 18/30s weeks in Kabul.
    YMMV

Master
    Some interesting points there - thanks!

So in the second point you are saying that there is a real intent to "deceive" in the sense that at the time the owner/builder was trying to pretend that he was driving a £150k car?

It really is very like the fake watch market then - people pretending to be able to own something they can't afford?

I can sort of understand that a bit, but I couldn't do it. I would get no satisfaction from being a fraud. I'd much prefer to have the XK8 and invest the money in making it a really excellent example. The work he did on creating the "DB9" monstrosity cannot have been trivial, and the cost must have been quite substantial.

But all that said, he still ended up with a car that actually looks awful and wouldn't convince anyone for a second. All he has actually done is put a vast amount of effort into making himself look ridiculous.

Hey ho, you can't argue with stupid...
    Comments regarding fakes - I agree 100% particularly with these bodykit conversions, however, it does get a little more blurred with some of the best replicas. Many replica Stratos & Cobras are way better than the originals and also a lot more usable.

Regards the convincing people piece - You'd be surprised how little people know. just a couple of examples, would you like to guess how many times people have refereed to my AMv8 Vanatge as "James bonds Car"? The car we make in the Kit space, we launched a new version at the recent show people were saying "Oh we saw this on Top Gear year ago".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I was an exhibitor at this show & its a great event, some great machines, but also some tatt ;-)

I was chatting to a guy who I speak to most years and turns out we have a mutual friend, were your ears burning UncleAlec?

Master
    I guy I went to college with in the early 90s had a white mk 5 cortina with a brown interior and it had a body kit made of bits of plastic house guttering

As someone with a major love of all things Porsche, I have seen a fair few Boxster 986 based kit cars; including this 356 Speedster, it is less a replica and more a modern re-interpretation. I actually really like it, but as per the original OPs XK8 to Aston it’s pretty much sacrilege. It really divides opinion but I think I could live with this.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    As someone with a major love of all things Porsche, I have seen a fair few Boxster 986 based kit cars; including this 356 Speedster, it is less a replica and more a modern re-interpretation. I actually really like it, but as per the original OPs XK8 to Aston it’s pretty much sacrilege. It really divides opinion but I think I could live with this.
    That does look good......can't complain about sticking Porsche badge on either ;o)

Master
    I quite like these as a they're clearer not 356s & more of a homage, however, have your seen the pricing?
    The price of the bodykit alone is more than I paid for my Aston Vantage, and thats before you actually buy a boxster, or paint it.

These are an example of what I've talked about previous there only seems to be a few built so far & 2x of those are factory demo cars.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

This went down a storm on Pistonheads, unsurprisingly. Then the "builder/owner" got involved and had a tantrum because everybody was having a laugh at his efforts.
    Jesus wept! Do you know what it was originally?

Master
    Chartman69 had a 356 replica: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-the-man-cave-!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    ...had a body kit made of bits of plastic house guttering...
    Fair play. Only slightly less advanced than British Leyland's efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Jesus wept! Do you know what it was originally?
    Nissan Micra by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Ahhh its quite cute!

Dare I admit I rather like that one?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Love that micro machine F40

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Dare I admit I rather like that one?

M

No, I rather like it too. It isn't trying to pretend to be an F40, so it's pretty cool in my opinion. That said, I'd still feel a bit of a berk driving it, but it is good fun.

I applaud quirkiness and creativity, what I don't applaud are deliberate, and very bad fakes. They are just horrible, like the DB9 I posted at the start of the thread.
    So clever my foot fell off.

So in the second point you are saying that there is a real intent to "deceive" in the sense that at the time the owner/builder was trying to pretend that he was driving a £150k car?

It really is very like the fake watch market then - people pretending to be able to own something they can't afford?
    Not always, no.
    If you're choosing a prestige watch or a car because of how you think other people will perceive you, then I can see why you'd think that of people buying fakes.
    But if you're choosing something because you like it, then there is an argument for buying a fake / copy / homage / snide.

I know a guy who owns a fake gold Daytona chrono, a fake Navitimer & several others. He'll tell anyone who he sees looking at them that they aren't real. He could never afford the real thing, likes the design and isn't phased by wearing fakes. He isn't pretending to be able to afford the real thing. They are solely for his own pleasure.

Personally I wouldn't want a snide watch, I'd rather have something interesting & genuine, but horses for courses. Getting back to cars, I'd love a Dino, I think it's the most beautiful car ever designed, but they are so astronomically expensive that I couldn't hope to justify one. I would however consider an accurate kit-car copy. But not because I want people to think I can afford the real thing, it would be because it's a thing of beauty that would bring me joy.

I'm afraid I have just as much contempt for people who buy stuff to impress the Jonses as I do for those who buy fake stuff to impress the Jonses!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think so. It's a Kei car, Autozam (Mazda) AZ1.
    Edit: looks like that was a misquote. Sorry.
    This one is the AZ1:
    Last edited by mikeveal; 23rd September 2021 at 10:57.

I agree with you on the Dino.

I would be happy with a kit provided it wasn't sporting Dino badges and was immaculately conceived - same finish, dimensions, interior, wheels, similar V6 power etc.

The Dino shares some heritage with the Stratos IIRC (engine?) and I have seen some very good kits of those too.

The real thing is just out of reach now. Even if I did have half a mill (or whatever Dinos now fetch) lying around, I would prefer to spend it on other people rather than a car.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 23rd September 2021 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I agree with you on the Dino.

I would be happy with a kit provided it wasn't sporting Dino badges and was immaculately conceived - same finish, dimensions, interior, wheels, similar V6 power etc.

The Dino shares some heritage with the Stratos IIRC (engine?) and I have seen some very good kits of those too.

The real thing is just out of reach now. Even if I did have half a mill (or whatever Dinos now fetch) lying around, I would prefer to spend it on other people rather than car.
    Thanks & yes, exactly my point. I could easily afford a real one, but it would mean selling the house and liquidating my pension. An additional cost would be my marriage and gentleman's parts (not in that order). But an accurate, debadged replica is a very tempting proposition. The sort of itch that's likely to get scratched when the mortgage(s) is(are) cleared.

That's sort of what we see with some watches. Different brand, high quality, similar look.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I don't think so. It's a Kei car, Autozam (Mazda) AZ1.
    Edit: looks like that was a misquote. Sorry.
    This one is the AZ1:
    Yes, I wasn't entirely serious about it (the 'Pagani' Design? ) being a Micra, but the high cabin reminded me of one.

I always liked the AZ1 so that may explain why I liked the 'F40'.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?