closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad replica cars

Really bad replica cars

Why would someone do this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255121519...4922%7Ciid%3A1

The thing that gets me, is he has gone to huge trouble to create this monstrosity, out of an XK8 that would have been a perfectly nice car. He's even gone as far as stitching the logo into the seat backs, and putting fake maker plates in the engine bay.

At then end of what must have been a very long and expensive process, did he stand back and say to himself, "Nailed it, no-one will ever know!"

Every single line and proportion is wrong.

I just don't get it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Target market of one; the only other person in the UK that's as daft as him.

Sorry but that's hilarious.

Thats really bad, especially as whilst looking at that one, I see theres a genuine DB7 for just a few grand more.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Jeebus, I've no idea what he was trying to achieve here but that's not it.

I remember seeing a load of MR2s dressed up as Ferraris in the 90s. Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Target market of one; the only other person in the UK that's as daft as him.

I think it has been for sale for a long time...

This went down a storm on Pistonheads, unsurprisingly. Then the "builder/owner" got involved and had a tantrum because everybody was having a laugh at his efforts.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

That is horrific, I am not a fan of replicas but at a recent car show I saw two excellent replicas of a Ferrari 250 SWB, owned by the same person. The detail even went down to the specific notches on the original exhaust. I checked the registration and both are registered as BMW origin.

I believe some of the rarer Ferrari models that are replicated are built on actual period Ferraris. I can't find a link now but I'm sure I read that this happens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I believe some of the rarer Ferrari models that are replicated are built on actual period Ferraris. I can't find a link now but I'm sure I read that this happens.
    There are 250 GT/E's that've been converted into LM or GTO recreations and can sell for 500k, but then back in the 50's it wasn't uncommon to buy a new Ferrari and have it sent straight to a coachbuilder for a custom body to be made.

The MR2 into a 355 conversions are more akin to a £100 Rolex bought from Wish.

There was a F430 Scuderia that caught fire outside Belfast City airport a few years ago and local media predictably sensationalised it (driver escapes death as 250k supercar explodes etc), but the reg plate came up as a Peugeot 406 V6 Coupe. That made me smile knowing that a fake Ferrari was destroyed, but then sad that a 406 Coupe had been sacrificed as it's one of the prettiest cars Peugeot have ever made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

This went down a storm on Pistonheads, unsurprisingly. Then the "builder/owner" got involved and had a tantrum because everybody was having a laugh at his efforts.
    That really is VERY funny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    That is horrific, I am not a fan of replicas but at a recent car show I saw two excellent replicas of a Ferrari 250 SWB, owned by the same person. The detail even went down to the specific notches on the original exhaust. I checked the registration and both are registered as BMW origin.

I thought that was my old car for a minute there, but mine never had a vinyl roof!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Is it based on a mk1 Ford Ka going in reverse?

I saw these kits on a classic cars website. I think they started at around £5k. The pictures looked interesting but then they would. They needed a BMW Z3 as a donor car. No idea what it would have cost to get one looking as good as there’s but seems they aren’t advertising these anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The Zonda is hilarious, looks like it's melted! I've seen a Z3 based 'Faux-rari' SWB replica in the flesh at Snetterton, the rake of the windscreen really gave it away. They're all painfully naff imo.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

£5K they are not.
    My kit ( a Malone Skunk not a replica) cost £4K ish. I think they advertised an average build cost of £7K. I stopped counting at £11K, because I was getting too much flack from my better half. No idea what it actually cost, I've never added it up. Somehere between 15 and 20K I'd guess (with paint & leather interior.)
    Oh, my car was bought in 2002 and registered in 2007, so, erm add inflation.

That red Ferrari replica is one I have seen locally at a car show where I was actually judging. It looks great, it is a BMW z3 underneath, much to a lot of the old timers dismay I gave it a prize for something, I forget what now but up close and personal it is a beautiful thing.

WT absolute F.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

When done with passion and engineering skills:-

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    There are 250 GT/E's that've been converted into LM or GTO recreations and can sell for 500k, but then back in the 50's it wasn't uncommon to buy a new Ferrari and have it sent straight to a coachbuilder for a custom body to be made.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking of.

I wonder if Aston did that with the Zagato-bodied stuff. The DB4Z is quite easy on the eye.

Close, but no cigar.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Do you happen to have a link to that thread? Sounds like a belter 🤣

Wow a Bugatti!

And a Ferrari....Something?

Is that an F40, No you numpty its a TR7.

Words can't do justice to those abominations. My eyes are hurting, and I was a bit sick in my mouth. The middle one in particular is so spectaculously hideous that my brain can't really process it.

How on earth can someone devote the time, energy and money to producing something so toe curlingly awful?

Great, up until the point Ferrari badges were put on it.

I can't remember the details but didn't Top Gear / The Grand Tour have an episode where they showed off some Chinese copies of European cars? Think there was some kind of Range Rover and Mini copies.

And that blue and gold 'Rolls' is truly horrific.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    They are all abominable, but so far the worst is the Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I can't remember the details but didn't Top Gear / The Grand Tour have an episode where they showed off some Chinese copies of European cars? Think there was some kind of Range Rover and Mini copies.

And that blue and gold 'Rolls' is truly horrific.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    This was the Nissan Micra based Jaguar MK2 lookalike. Google Mitsuoka Viewt if you like, but be warned it is nauseatingly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    As they go this one is quite convincing but I just don't get it?? I'd rather have the donor car that's underneath the body kit.

Craftsman
    Interior gives the game away:

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    How on earth can someone devote the time, energy and money to producing something so toe curlingly awful?
    This quote is perfect for 90% of replica cars (not kit cars)..

Master
    What I don't get is you can probably just buy a running junker of a similar model and try to restore it if that's your bag . Someone was trying to flog me a decrepit Gallardo for £30k the other day.
    I actually drove a banana yellow one in Cyprus for a few days during a film shoot. It leaked oil , had paint bubbles all over it and I was the only one on the crew that could get it started ( I went with the stunt crew to pick it up from the airport just because I had nothing to do that day and ended up the designated driver because no one else could get the knack of starting it .).

Sounded like it had a bag of nails in the engine and I had to literally step out of it after every take because of the exhaust fumes inside. At one stage we had cameras mounted all over it which probably scratched it up . Only thing worse looking on set was its stunt double yellow mr2 with cardboard body kit to make it look a tiny bit like the gallardo when it got blown up. ( funniest thing I ever saw on a film set...looked like a clown car)

When parked around town the Gallardo drew a large crowd of admirers but it was an absolute piece of garbage that probably got shredded not long after probably.

I'm reminded of people who have had too much plastic surgery but in car form .

More Ferrari-likes

Ahhh its quite cute!

WTF!! Orange insulation tape is all I'm saying.... and wing nuts.

Those Z3-based monstrosities are awful.

I know this thread isn't the place for really good replicas but have a watch of this:

"A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to that thread? Sounds like a belter 藍
    The thread starts out talking about something else, but the guy that built that thing turns up pg8

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=761418&i=140

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    The thread starts out talking about something else, but the guy that built that thing turns up pg8

Haha. Yeah that got very TZ-UK very quickly. Excellent

Ps thanks for the link!

Master
    Not sure if I like it but bet it goes a bit.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...93332435899320

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Those Z3-based monstrosities are awful.

I know this thread isn't the place for really good replicas but have a watch of this:

Gorgeous.

I wonder if he'd do me one in BRG.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

That was great, the guy was so misunderstood, he had lots of ambition but sod all skills, some of the responses were so TZ and funny..

As an aficionado of the elderly R170 series SLK, I was annoyed to see that a perfectly good SLK320 had been sacrificed to fulfil the owners dream of owning a 1950's W198 Gullwing SL.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-appears-to-be

It was advertised for sale at £175,000.

I guess he was trying to recover 'what it owes him' - A dreamer on many levels.
    Last edited by W124; 11th September 2021 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    As an aficionado of the elderly R170 series SLK, I was annoyed to see that a perfectly good SLK320 had been sacrificed to fulfil the owners dream of owning a 1950's W198 Gullwing SL.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-appears-to-be

It was advertised for sale at £175,000.

I guess he was trying to recover 'what it owes him' - A dreamer on many levels.

I have to say, the original is one of the all time great cars, and I love them. He hasn't done a bad job of that by the looks of it, and it is certainly not the kind of hideous monstrosity seen earlier in this thread. I even quite like the idea of the classic look but with modern underpinnings... but £175k for a replica? Not a chance.

For those of you who have been sitting on the fence, fingers twitching to buy the glorious DB9 replica in the first post, he has reduced the price now to a strangely specific £14,580:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255135695...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

I know this because ebay are now emailing me relentlessly warning me not to miss out...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Great, up until the point Ferrari badges were put on it.
    And the 1983/4 registration plates that would be illegal to put on the genuine article as they're newer than date of first registration (not forgetting it's not legal to have plates of that age white out of black).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    For those of you who have been sitting on the fence, fingers twitching to buy the glorious DB9 replica in the first post, he has reduced the price now to a strangely specific £14,580:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255135695...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

I know this because ebay are now emailing me relentlessly warning me not to miss out...
    I wonder what the point of the purple ribbon is? Perhaps it's to suggest that there are people who might want to hire this as a wedding car. Maybe the sort of chap who turns up in a Primarni suit.

Talking of classic look and modern underpinnings...

Slightly taken by this beauty:

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Talking of classic look and modern underpinnings...

Slightly taken by this beauty:

A Singer would be my lottery win car.

Absolutely beautiful.

Master
    As someone involved in the Kitcar industry (although not replicas) I know a little about this.
    I personally am not a fan but have noticed the following over the years.

The "well done" ones typically fall into the following 2 categories;
    - Most were factory demo / show cars & actually have very few customers.
    - They 'made economic sense' at the time, the DB9/xk8 for example was trying to replicate a 150k car on a 5k base when it was built.

The re bodies on mx5s & Z3 can sometimes look good but I just can't see any value in spending crazy money on them, I'd rather a really nice z3 or mx5.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    As someone involved in the Kitcar industry (although not replicas) I know a little about this.
    I personally am not a fan but have noticed the following over the years.

The "well done" ones typically fall into the following 2 categories;
    - Most were factory demo / show cars & actually have very few customers.
    - They 'made economic sense' at the time, the DB9/xk8 for example was trying to replicate a 150k car on a 5k base when it was built.

The re bodies on mx5s & Z3 can sometimes look good but I just can't see any value in spending crazy money on them, I'd rather a really nice z3 or mx5.

Some interesting points there - thanks!

So in the second point you are saying that there is a real intent to "deceive" in the sense that at the time the owner/builder was trying to pretend that he was driving a £150k car?

It really is very like the fake watch market then - people pretending to be able to own something they can't afford?

I can sort of understand that a bit, but I couldn't do it. I would get no satisfaction from being a fraud. I'd much prefer to have the XK8 and invest the money in making it a really excellent example. The work he did on creating the "DB9" monstrosity cannot have been trivial, and the cost must have been quite substantial.

But all that said, he still ended up with a car that actually looks awful and wouldn't convince anyone for a second. All he has actually done is put a vast amount of effort into making himself look ridiculous.

Hey ho, you can't argue with stupid...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They are all abominable, but so far the worst is the Rolls
    What Franco said! Whoever is responsible for that Rolls should be hung up by their heels!

A friend of mine wanted a Winnebago but couldn't afford one, so he built a replica from some left-over Riley parts: