closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The media aren’t getting carried away - winning the US Open is an incredible feat full stop. Probably what 20 or 30 women alive on this planet that have done that. To do it after having to qualify as an 18 year makes it even more remarkable. You can dissect the other players and the general underperformance all you like to try and reduce down the achievement, but to me she was incredible. It was fantastic to watch too.
    As a qualifier without losing a set in her 2nd Grand Slam. It is mind boggling.

And you can only beat the player on the other side of the net.

That the higher ranked players failed to get to the other side of the net is their problem, not hers!

Thing is, she has done something completely extraordinary - so where can she go from here? In the eyes of the media, and the armchair occasional sports fans, probably only down.

The reality is, she may well not win another tournament for a year or two, and it could be longer before winning another slam. And if so, everyone just needs to cut her some slack.

she has so much to come to terms with outside of tennis, so much more pressure every time she steps onto a court. Just look at Naomi Osaka to see how tough it can be at the top so young.

But she defo has the potential to dominate for years to come, and the impact on British tennis would be huge. At 18, completely wiped the floor with everyone she came up against, in her 2nd grand slam - there were no flukes, no lucky breaks involved. Was bloody amazing to see!

Master
    The media aren’t getting carried away - winning the US Open is an incredible feat full stop. Probably what 20 or 30 women alive on this planet that have done that. To do it after having to qualify as an 18 year makes it even more remarkable. You can dissect the other players and the general underperformance all you like to try and reduce down the achievement, but to me she was incredible. It was fantastic to watch too.
    You're misreading it. There are more than enough superlatives to show I'm with everyone else, her achievement is nothing short of epic, especially as it can't have been expected by anyone based on the performances in the prior 3 tournaments. There were no flukes or lucky breaks, you can't be" lucky" for 10 matches. She beat everyone they put in front of her until there was no one else.
    The press are getting carried away with their placement of her in the tennis hierarchy following her achievement. I just hope they leave her alone to hone her game to allow further achievement at this level. Sadly they aren't good at that.

Agreed. I'd also add "and to do it without dropping a set..."

Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    You're misreading it. There are more than enough superlatives to show I'm with everyone else, her achievement is nothing short of epic, especially as it can't have been expected by anyone based on the performances in the prior 3 tournaments. There were no flukes or lucky breaks, you can't be" lucky" for 10 matches. She beat everyone they put in front of her until there was no one else.
    The press are getting carried away with their placement of her in the tennis hierarchy following her achievement. I just hope they leave her alone to hone her game to allow further achievement at this level. Sadly they aren't good at that.
    They are right to get carried away - she has achieved a lot of “firsts” in doing it. First uk player for 44 yrs, first qualifier to win, and so on. Are they meant to ignore that? It’s their job to report achievements and these achievements should be celebrated for what they are- amazing.

Her parents are very strict and she will be grounded regardless of what the media does - I have no fear of that.

Master
    I found the whole tournament enthralling watching her, she was amazing charming and the most uplifting thing I’ve seen in years a very proud Brit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    They are right to get carried away - she has achieved a lot of “firsts” in doing it. First uk player for 44 yrs, first qualifier to win, and so on. Are they meant to ignore that? It’s their job to report achievements and these achievements should be celebrated for what they are- amazing.

Her parents are very strict and she will be grounded regardless of what the media does - I have no fear of that.
    Yes, I think her family background will prove very important.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    A friend has told me that he developed tennis elbow, watching her play! :)

I see she's now dumped her coach, which seems a strange decision to a layman.

Evidence she's got the ruthless streak she needs to stay at the top, or getting a bit ahead of herself?

Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

Evidence she's got the ruthless streak she needs to stay at the top, or getting a bit ahead of herself?
    I guess suddenly she is in a different league now and needs a coach who’ is also in a different league. Kind of makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

Would the coach have been on a retainer or percentage of any winnings ?

A coach at her level didn’t involve the women’s ATP tour cos she wasn’t on the tour. Her schedule will now be completely different and coaching for clay etc is going to be a factor (she’s never played on clay).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apparently she only engaged her coach for this summer season, making her success all the more remarkable..

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Ok I give up. You’re gonna have to explain that one. Hope I don’t regret asking...

Ok I give up. You’re gonna have to explain that one. Hope I don’t regret asking...
    You will.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You will.
    You're so right.

It's taken me this long to understand it. Now that I do...

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Your friend is Prince Andrew and I claim my £5

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I guess suddenly she is in a different league now and needs a coach who’ is also in a different league. Kind of makes sense.

I suppose it does, and if the coach has only been with her for a short time (Didn't know that, I thought he was a long-term coach) it's not as though a large slice of the credit can go to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You will.
    Or he will

Master
    My friend is a tennis player ranker. He also can't say the letter "R" properly!

Emma Raducanu

Sometimes I really wish I understood why people are interested in sport. Girl is very good at game, isn’t she amazing, she’ll earn a fortune etc etc. I don’t get it at all, perhaps because I’m not one of the millions of people who apparently get pleasure from watching people play games. I honestly don’t think they are as deserving of praise and adulation as your average GP. I seem to lack the sports gene entirely, which must be why I find it all so perplexing!! - please understand I’m not being grumpy or miserable and I know I’m in the minority I just find it all very odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 25th September 2021 at 21:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Sometimes I really wish I understood why people are interested in sport. Girl is very good at game, isn’t she amazing, she’ll earn a fortune etc etc. I don’t get it at all, perhaps because I’m not one of the millions of people who apparently get pleasure from watching people play games. I honestly don’t think they are as deserving of praise and adulation as your average GP. I seem to lack the sports gene entirely, which must be why I find it all so perplexing!! - please understand I’m not being grumpy or miserable and I know I’m in the minority I just find it all very odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check out Toni Bou on YouTube. It’s motorsport as opposed to just sport but the guy is a genius. I see him do what he does, but my brain cannot compute how he does it.
    Even if you don’t enjoy it, you “should” be amazed by how he does it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

That's a really interesting point. For some reason we need heroes and elevate them to a special status whether they be players of sports, musicians, actors, comedians or even politicians sometimes. But she's not just "very good"; whether she will be one of the best women's players in years to come no-one can say but she's already achieved something that's many thousands who work at the same sport for years have never managed.

As for sport itself - it's the tension and drama of competition and the spectacle of rare skills and talent being applied.

Master
    Reality check complete.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Reality check complete.
    Her sacked coach no doubt...

Blog Entries
    Ooops

Now if you really want to succeed as a tennis player and show that the US open wasn’t a fluke get on with the tennis and forget the show biz hype.
    Last edited by mart broad; 9th October 2021 at 14:34.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE