TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Master
    Phenomenal tbh
    The real deal right there.
    Djokovic tomorrow to be the GOAT

Master
    Brilliant Emma, even with a blood injury still went on to win in straight sets.
    She is the real deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    There may be a trace of Chinese and Romanian heritage :)

Wonderful achievement, I wish her all the best and lots of grand slams.
    True Christian
    Chinese.Romanian and British. Truly cosmopolitan.

Master
    Fantastic tennis and a great win.

Well Done Emma, great to see that not all Brits are scared of a US court
    Last edited by zippy; 12th September 2021 at 00:28.

Truly amazing result and performance. She's also a class act in front of the media which will help her hugely.
    Last edited by Skier; 11th September 2021 at 23:49.

She really does have it all.

Brilliant, just brilliant

Incredible. Nobody in the universe would have seen that coming after the Wimbledon retirement. And she has such great tennis IQ I think there is no ceiling to her game. Fernández was superb also - really made Emma earn every game.

What a superb night, well done Emma. That has to be one of the greatest sports achievements I have seen. Expectations at the start were nil and she won, superb stuff. Sports personality of the year and Dame Emma without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    True Christian
    If ever something good came out of globalization, it's Emma Răducanu :)

Qualifier and didn’t lose a set all tournament. 4 months ago she was sitting her A levels and none of us had heard of her. Just wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I predict front page of The News Shopper mid week... that's the local Orpington/Bromley free newspaper :-)

Wonderful talent, composure, and will now go stratospheric.
    Nailed on for SPOTY....

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is the woman interviewing them on the podium wearing a new turquoise OP?
    Yes, bet she didn’t have to buy a pair of gold and diamond encrusted earrings to get it either.

Master
    I’m just blown away truly amazing.

Craftsman
    That's what being british is for a large part of the population
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    True Christian
    Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Well Done Emma, great to se that not all Brits are scared of a US court

Cheers,

Adam.

What an amazing night - probably the greatest sporting achievement of my lifetime.

At least that's SPOTY sorted.

One of the great sporting underdog stories of all time. 10 matches played, no sets lost, 121 games won and only 55 lost. Quite incredible!

A shining positive example of multiculturalism. I don't get the "she's not British" attitude from a small minority. She's lived her since she was 2, has a British coach and clearly feels an affinity to Britain / England too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It was fantastic watching this live. The “best shots” compilation on BBC news at the moment is another matter - it has a totally unnecessary backing track, and they have dubbed on a cheering, roaring crowd for Raducanu’s winning shots, which is a distortion of the truth. The crowd were obviously behind Fernandez, even a little bit hostile towards Raducanu at times, which makes her achievement in keeping her mental state on the level even more impressive.

What a match..both girls giving it their all and both playing with a smile.

Probably the greatest achievement in British sport in my lifetime a complete outsider a qualifier winning 10 matches without dropping a set something that has never been done before in World tennis at the very highest level.

Well done Emma you are a star.

Statistically she was 1500-1 to win the US Open before the tournament and Leicester were 5000-1 so on that basis Leicester winning the PL was rated hardest by the bookies however I'll bet the odds of Raducanu winning the title without dropping a set would have been higher than 5000-1.

One thing's for sure , she won't be needing to go through the qualifiers any more!

What a match and what a remarkable player!

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I don't get the "she's not British" attitude from a small minority.
    Forrin name and skin colour

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yes, bet she didn’t have to buy a pair of gold and diamond encrusted earrings to get it either.
    Casually mention in the AD you’re going to be interviewing the finalists…..
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    One of the great sporting underdog stories of all time. 10 matches played, no sets lost, 121 games won and only 55 lost. Quite incredible!

A shining positive example of multiculturalism. I don't get the "she's not British" attitude from a small minority. She's lived her since she was 2, has a British coach and clearly feels an affinity to Britain / England too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I must mix with the wrong people, I haven’t heard anyone saying “she’s not British”.

Loved the way she knew Tim Henman was watching and looked across at him with a big smile!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I must mix with the wrong people, I haven’t heard anyone saying “she’s not British”.

Loved the way she knew Tim Henman was watching and looked across at him with a big smile!
    That'll happen once she starts losing. Just like Andy Murray went from being 'British' to 'Scottish' when he went through a bad run.

A minority of course. Most people aren't so shallow

Just awesome. An inspiration for absolutely everyone in this country. Kudos Emma.

No. Irony. At. All

Quite! Why anyone is still listening to than man is beyond me.

From here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

She played perfectly and well deserved the win.

As for all the other nationalism and political stuff, leave it in the Bear Pit. Just celebrate a young person succeeding at something they have pursued and worked hard to achieve.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Ffs people who should know better...Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Ffs people who should know better...Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.
    Usual crowd who can’t resist.

I don't even like Tennis, but was on the edge of my seat with this one. Amazing play from both players and a fantastic victory in the end. Destined to be the biggest female star in British (world?) sport.

I can usually resist! Just, the opportunity to put the boot in to Farage was too tempting.

I watched the first set on my computer last night, then went to be and listened to the second on the radio as I fell asleep. Wonderful success story! The stat that stuck with me was that this is the first time (I think) that a woman's open has been won without dropping a set since 2004, and Serena Williams. Stunning!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I can usually resist! Just, the opportunity to put the boot in to Farage was too tempting.

I watched the first set on my computer last night, then went to be and listened to the second on the radio as I fell asleep. Wonderful success story! The stat that stuck with me was that this is the first time (I think) that a woman's open has been won without dropping a set since 2004, and Serena Williams. Stunning!
    Seeing her reaction on winning was priceless. And she does seem a genuinely nice person.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That'll happen once she starts losing. Just like Andy Murray went from being 'British' to 'Scottish' when he went through a bad run.

A minority of course. Most people aren't so shallow
    Same old tired nonsense. Andy Murray went from being British to Scottish when he decided to vote for the end of Great Britain (yet seems to have no problem playing for Britain when it suits him).

Same old tired nonsense. Andy Murray went from being British to Scottish when he decided to vote for the end of Great Britain (yet seems to have no problem playing for Britain when it suits him).
    Utter tosh. It is possible to be Scottish and British (for now at least). Anyway back to Emma - she’s a great example of the end product of the British tennis system. She’s been in the system for a dozen years or so and if this is the end result then the future is indeed bright

Sensational performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Is no topic immune?!

I’m only a casual tennis fan, but really enjoyed reading about her progress through the tournament and then watched the final last night.

It was only then that I understood the staggering level of tennis being played by both of them, really wonderful to watch.

Fantastic for her, looked to be very well deserved.

Master
    Yes, they can't help it. I think it's provoked by losing all the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No. Irony. At. All
    Emma is a lovely example of integration into British society; she even wore an England football top during an interview in the summer. You'll find that the great man supports that wholeheartedly. Sadly it's not always the case that immigrants integrate successfully into our society, naturally this is to be regretted.

I think this failure to understand the difference here is where your usual confusion has arisen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Is no topic immune?!

I’m only a casual tennis fan, but really enjoyed reading about her progress through the tournament and then watched the final last night.

It was only then that I understood the staggering level of tennis being played by both of them, really wonderful to watch.

Fantastic for her, looked to be very well deserved.
    Same as that really, only rarely watch tennis but was blown away by the power and control being shown by two very young and petite players. Made some of the more muscular players seem rather outdated by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Emma is a lovely example of integration into British society; she even wore an England football top during an interview in the summer. You'll find that the great man supports that wholeheartedly. Sadly it's not always the case that immigrants integrate successfully into our society, naturally this is to be regretted.

I think this failure to understand the difference here is where your usual confusion has arisen.
    “The great man”. Funniest comment of the day. Hope the humour was intentional or it would be a wee bit sad

Back on topic I wonder what other kids are working their way through the uk tennis system

Integrate, assimilate, or excel with a UK passport?

"great man" - wit of a higher level.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyndogs View Post
    Brilliant Emma, even with a blood injury still went on to win in straight sets.
    She is the real deal.
    Tbh in this instance I think it helped her. Fernandez was on a roll and looking to break. It gave Emma a reset moment and Fernandez obviously got annoyed about it. But them's the rules.

Is it just immigrants that fail to integrate into society?

What about “home grown “ people who don’t integrate into what’s acceptable as “society” . It’s easy to pick out an immigrant , but that unsociable neighbour , who refuses to speak to you, work, fly tip etc - has he successfully integrated into society ??

What an utter load of tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Anyway back to Emma - she’s a great example of the end product of the British tennis system. She’s been in the system for a dozen years or so and if this is the end result then the future is indeed bright
    I was tempted to correct you by saying the only great example. The Murrays had their mother, and all the others underachieved.
    Furthermore you could also say she is the end product of the British education system, considering her A level results. And that would also be wrong, as with both she is the exception, not the rule.
    Maybe a little credit to the parents would be more appropriate.
    It could also be noted that both finalists were born in Canada…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bugger off to the bear pit you bunch of tossers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    A teenage girl comes out of nowhere to win the US Open, earning the adoration and adulation of the sporting world.

Why is that not the headline?

No, we need to focus on her ethnicity and heritage... some of you need to take a long look at yourselves.
    For some it's their entire focus on the world. Shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Bugger off to the bear pit you bunch of tossers.
    100% this.