closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Emma Raducanu

Is anyone else watching the unseeded, 18 year-old Brit, Emma Raducanu destroying all in her path at the US Open? (It's all live on Amazon Prime if you're interested). After her amazing run as a wildcard to the 4th round at Wimbledon, she has now reached the quarter-finals in New York after having to go via 3 rounds of qualifying. Here's her results so far:

Big test in the next round against Belinda Bencic - the Olympic god medallist. Looking forward to the match here!
    Last edited by Lampoc; 6th September 2021 at 21:58. Reason: speeling

She's demolished everyone in her path. A big star on the circuit over the next 15 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    She's demolished everyone in her path. A big star on the circuit over the next 15 years.
    Let's hope so but it's way too early in her career for a statement like that.

Master
    Very promising, just hope the usual ridiculous weight of expectation from the British media don't spoil it for her.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Very promising, just hope the usual ridiculous weight of expectation from the British media don't spoil it for her.
    I think she’s probably learned a lot from her experience at Wimbledon.

She certainly has the potential to be at the top of the game for the next ten years or so.

Absolutely thrilled for her she looks like she learned a lot from Wimbledon and is enjoying every moment
    I play a lot of competitive tennis and can tell you sometmes the court is a lonely place when things are going against you.
    Good luck to her in the next round.

The other side of the coin...Shelby Rogers expects death threats:

American Shelby Rogers said she expected to receive death threats on social media following her US Open fourth-round defeat by Emma Raducanu.

The 28-year-old, ranked 43 in the world, was beaten 6-2 6-1 by Britain's Raducanu.

"I'm going to have nine million death threats and whatnot. At this point in my career, I'd say I'm used to it," Rogers said.

"I kind of wish social media didn't exist."...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The other side of the coin...Shelby Rogers expects death threats:

American Shelby Rogers said she expected to receive death threats on social media following her US Open fourth-round defeat by Emma Raducanu.

The 28-year-old, ranked 43 in the world, was beaten 6-2 6-1 by Britain's Raducanu.

"I'm going to have nine million death threats and whatnot. At this point in my career, I'd say I'm used to it," Rogers said.

Wow. You really have to be an arsehole of exceptional proportions to send death threats to young women whose only crime is to lose a tennis match.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Wow. You really have to be an arsehole of exceptional proportions to send death threats to young women whose only crime is to lose a tennis match.
    Yup. It's unbelievable.

Looks like a lot of this bile is coming from gamblers who don't understand gambling.

Betting wrecks everything.

Craftsman
    I tend to agree with this sentiment (he says as he posts on a social media web-site). On balance, I think the Internet as a whole is a net loss for humanity.

Before we entirely divert this thread, I think I should set a half-way decent example and congratulate Emma Raducanu on her astounding success to date and say 'long may it continue', if not in this tournament (but I would very much like it to) then in the many to come.

Master
    Before we entirely divert this thread, I think I should set a half-way decent example and congratulate Emma Raducanu on her astounding success to date and say 'long may it continue', if not in this tournament (but I would very much like it to) then in the many to come.
    Absolutely.

Her self-confidence against higher ranked opponents is inspiring, they look completely shell shocked at being blasted off the court. She clearly believes she can win, and she’s met very little in her short career to convince her otherwise. Logic says that at some point she’ll find her limits, but who knows where they are yet. Looking forward to the next one at 5pm, it would be great to see the run continue. But either way, it’s an impressive arrival on the scene. I hope she can keep that spirit.

She's having a great run , hope she continues to be successful .

Without doubt one brilliant tennis player.

Her quarter-final match is just about to start live on Amazon Prime if anyone is interested.

Her quarter-final match is just about to start live on Amazon Prime if anyone is interested.
    The BBC has live commentary and the scores.

Great to see a new rising star, I'm a bit uncomfortable with all the plaudits currently going her way as the force of tennis for the next 10 years and a cert for a Slam etc. She's a young girl making her way, let's not overburden her with pressure just yet
    Last edited by ryanb741; 8th September 2021 at 17:42.

watching the QF now. First time I’ve seen her play live in the us open and she is the real deal. I kinda hope she doesn’t do a madness and win the whole thing, cos think it would do her more harm than good at this early stage - hype and expectation would go off the scale.

But she is defo the biggest thing to happen to British women’s tennis in, ever. A genuine superstar in the making. sponsors, fans, media are gonna go absolutely nuts over her in the next couple of years - just hope she continues to handle it like she has so far.

All over in good time for England vs Poland.

Master
    Wow well done, amazing result again :-)

Nice to see Emma win and in such a mature way. i'm watching her now, giving away souveniers and signing autographs for the fans, great stuff! Everyone around her must be very proud.
    Last edited by Tenko; 8th September 2021 at 19:13. Reason: Typo

In many ways watching her afterwards enjoying the moment was like the youngsters in the olympics. Such a joy to watch

She’s basically set for life now with all the sponsors throwing themselves at her regardless of how she does now, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Talent is obvious, so as is often the case, her career will be determined by her attitude and the advice received from those around her

$675,000 for making the semi final. Lovely jubbley

Blog Entries
    Nice girl, no grunting entitled arrogance, unlike some! Good luck to her!

Despite her young age, I'm really impressed by the way she handles herself and her professionalism. Hope she makes it to the final 👋

So thrilled for her she is handling it so well

She looks to be a force and hopefully carries on for the sake of British tennis, however plenty of wunderkind (Andrea Jaeger etc) in the past have not managed to stay the course.

It's a hard game and you are all on your own out there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

For the night owls...the women's semi-finals start in the Arthur Ashe Stadium at midnight UK time. Emma's is the second match on court...so about 02h00 BST...ish.

A shame her match is on in the middle of the night. Would have liked to watch it. She was great at Wimbledon, until her unfortunate meltdown.

Hopefully a fantastic career and many major wins ahead of her. Sponsorship will undoubtably earn her far more than the tennis, as it did for Anna Kournikova.

Good luck to her.

That was worth staying up for. Just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Indeed, different class.

Master
    Great game for her, made it look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    The alarm went off, I silenced it and...went back to sleep,

Fantastic result...literally.

Fantastic to see a nice and self-deprecating young person do so well. Apparently she went to a suburban state school near to where I grew up. Chuffed for her and the kids she is inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I got up to watch that and was well worth it. What an array of shots she has and superb control of her serve. Great chance on Saturday against an equally outstanding teenager. Probably gets harder in future as more eyes will be on her and coaches will scout her strengths and weaknesses more however she seems so level headed and calm and will clearly get better with age. Looks like a changing of the guard in women's tennis with the all-teen final. And great to see some talented youngsters coming through in the men's also.

Guaranteed at least $1,250,500 and walks away with $2,500,00 if she wins, of course this amount will be nothing compared to sponsors falling over themselves to sign her up.

Hopefully she wins, has good parents and a solid agent team behind her to keep her grounded (as hard as that will be now).

Good luck to her in the final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back in July, Emma made news in the Sun...link.

Master
    Would be a phenomenal story if she wins at the weekend, as a qualifier. Fingers crossed! But it's already an amazing achievement.

I've just watched the 'Best Shots' on the BBC website having only just recalled she was playing in the early hours, UK time. What a tournament she's having and what a talent. Here's hoping she can go all the way. She comes across really well in interviews which will/has won her lots of fans.

Amazing.

Here's a good 3 min highlights video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxIIE9MoUH8

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Amazing.

Here's a good 3 min highlights video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxIIE9MoUH8

Thanks! Wow that rally from 1:16 on - Emma loses the point but some unbelievable returns there. Spectacular.

john mcenroe can eat his words after what he said about her

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Or maybe his words gave her that extra push to prove people wrong?

He correctly said that she choked in her match at Wimbledon, which she did. It was hardly a surprise given her situation and the length of time she had to wait to play. I certainly don’t believe it was a criticism of her.

She did amazingly well at Wimbledon and has come back even stronger in this tournament.

Craftsman
    Marvellous effort and really encouraging to see two such young emerging talents reaching a grand slam final so early in their careers.

Master
    Shock horror commentator actually speaks the truth as opposed to some bullshit platitudes.

Blog Entries
    No longer a tennis follower but like everyone else picking the story/ journey through the newsfeeds and can only both applaud her and wish her well.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Well done Emma, just watched some of the highlights, brilliant. Both finalists deserve to win this tournament!

May the best teen win in the final...