closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a Rolex without box and papers

Selling a Rolex without box and papers

My Father has an SD4000, owned for 6 years, but sadly with his Parkinson’s it’s not being worn and he wants me to sell it.

He has searched high and low for the box and warranty card but to no avail, how much of an issue is this come resale?

The watch was serviced @ Rolex via Mappin & Webb (Chester) just over two years ago, is there any recourse through them for paperwork?

He is adamant he wants to sell it but I’ve told him if it makes a huge difference to resale value it’s just not worth it, and I know in a few months the box and warranty card will turn up!

Opinions appreciated!

A relatively modern loose watch without B&P is probably a few £100's less than the full package, vintage would be significantly more.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    As above, but I would add if you can obtain proof of the service by Mappin & Webb that will help.

Anything less than 10 years old you sort of expect everything to be there, but for older watches it’s the other way round, you wouldn’t expect everything to be there, but if they are it pushes the price up. Most of the modern Rolex I have owned have been full sets whilst everything over 30 years old have all been loose watches.

A modern watch will still sell without the guff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    My Father has an SD4000, owned for 6 years, but sadly with his Parkinson’s it’s not being worn and he wants me to sell it.

He has searched high and low for the box and warranty card but to no avail, how much of an issue is this come resale?

The watch was serviced @ Rolex via Mappin & Webb (Chester) just over two years ago, is there any recourse through them for paperwork?

He is adamant he wants to sell it but I’ve told him if it makes a huge difference to resale value it’s just not worth it, and I know in a few months the box and warranty card will turn up!

Opinions appreciated!
    Im sorry to hear of your father in law’s situation and I wouldn’t have thought too much of an issue selling the watch although it will definitely have a financial impact , I’d give the house another going over with a fresh set of eyes as sometimes you can put things in the strangest of places believe me !
    ( I once misplaced a 1665 for nearly 3 months ) .

Worst case scenario sourcing a box and bits wouldn’t be too difficult, also go back to M&W as once I had a watch that had a similar issue and the service card was mis placed and Rolex sent a letter to the dealer confirming that the watch had been serviced / detailing the work .

All the best with your FIL along with selling the watch and hopefully finding the box and papers .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its a watch ive always been interested in but i generally prefer a full set.

Master
    I would say minimum 2K difference with no B&P
    If you look at similar priced watches like Rolex Lv's (Kermits) it does affect price a lot.
    Also narrow's the market a good bit.

Master
    Just an idea....

Get it valued as is, then buy it from your Dad for that price. You keep it. When the box turns up (maybe in X years when he passes away) then you can put the set together and decide what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Just an idea....

Get it valued as is, then buy it from your Dad for that price. You keep it. When the box turns up (maybe in X years when he passes away) then you can put the set together and decide what you want to do.
    Brilliant idea… it’d be a shame if the watch is sold naked knowing the rest are there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    not really an expert on it but when i bought my datejust the dealer said the cards were worth 1k alone so keep them very safe

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear your dad is unwell. My mother has Parkinson’s and can confirm it’s a complete shit show.

I would keep the watch, buy it off him at whatever it’s valued at, or if he wants to pass it down he can see you enjoy it now.

As above if you one day trip over the box then you are sorted, and if not it will still be worth more than it is today.

I would definitely also expect an AD to have a record of the service work based on the serial number.

Thanks for the comments, it truly is a horrible illness.

Ive had a few PM’s with offers to buy the watch which is positive, I will have a chat with my Father to see if he’s happy to sell, although I’ve tasked both of them to search high and low!

I would purchase it if I did not have one already, I bought it nee when released and it’s on my wrist at least once a week, which is more than can be said for some others in the collection!

Selling a Rolex without box and papers

Very sorry to hear about your father’’s illness - can’t be much fun for any of you. Regarding the SD then I personally don’t think the missing box and papers will make that much difference to the sale price. The watch is highly sort after and there are (relatively) few of them around. Everything other than the warranty card can be easily replaced.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can definitely replace the box and most of the papers. You can’t get a warranty card but at 5 years old it’s moot.

I would get the warranty confirmation from the AD and not worry about it, but if you don’t need to sell I’d keep it. It’s a better financial bet than any bank account at the moment.

Craftsman
    In my experience it does affect value somewhat but equally it makes the watch a slightly tougher sell.. especially on a model like the SD which people are looking to speculate on given it’s a discontinued watch

Craftsman
    Very sorry to hear about your father’s illness. I’m biased but in my opinion the SD4000 is a very special watch. It’s the first ceramic SD, the last 40mm SD, the last SD without a cyclops. It’s an over-engineered, (initially) undervalued masterpiece with a unique case profile. It was only made for very few years.

If you can find a way to keep it in the family, then do so. Another service will come around in a few years, a replacement box / manuals can be bought etc.

If you can’t get M&W to provide you a record of service and you simply want to authenticate the watch…you could get a service quotation direct from Rolex. It costs nothing. The paperwork they provide you will have your fathers’ name on it and will demonstrate that Rolex has inspected the watch.

Best of luck to you and to your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I know I haven’t answered your question OP. My feeling is that without the set, the value of the watch will be hit fairly hard. I’m speculating wildly here but at least £800 - £1000. It’s a watch that collectors and speculators are paying attention to and they will likely demand a full set, as many are available online.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You could get a service from RSC and sell it with service card? That should ease any buyers fears about authenticity.
    Im 99% sure ive got a ceramics box knocking about somewhere so that would leave booklets.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In your position I'd get a reasonable market price comparing it like for like on Chrono24 or similar and buy it off your Dad. If you want a daily wearer 40mm SD rather than vintage showpiece that model is the most desirable IMO - indeed I'd have bought one instead of the 16600 if I'd had more cash available. Even if you dont keep it and the box doesn;t turn up after all you can spend a little time picking up box/booklet to make up a reasonable "set".