closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House Extension

Craftsman

House Extension

So looks like I’m going to plan on doing one at about the worst time possible given a lack of wood due to no one working lumbar yards in India due to COVID, and no steel from China due to COVID, all UK building supplies seem to be in short supply and high in price!

None the less the missus and myself still looking! We moved into our new (90yr old) house a year and a half ago, on lockdown day-1 would you believe after the Boris speech lol! And we wanted to do a small extension and jazz it up a little as it’s a bit tired in places but perfectly habitable.

It’s detached, with a single garage attached to the side but only accessible externally, and a big loft space with quite high pitch and a lot of head height.

We were going to go into the garage for living space, above the garage for an en suite (keeping 1m from the edge as edge of garage is boundary) and go into the loft to make an extra bedroom with a shower and toilet above the water works in the bathroom below. Haven’t got architect or builders visits yet.

We have. 2yr old and 4 yr old just starting school so planning to do it start of next summer so when they do the most disruptive stuff with the roof we can move out over the holidays.

Anyone here have recent experiences of lockdown extensions?

Anyone with young families try living at home while doing works?

Device for self managed or getting a project manager to do it?

Any other questions I should ask here lol!?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y View Post
    So looks like I’m going to plan on doing one at about the worst time possible given a lack of wood due to no one working lumbar yards in India due to COVID, and no steel from China due to COVID, all UK building supplies seem to be in short supply and high in price!

None the less the missus and myself still looking! We moved into our new (90yr old) house a year and a half ago, on lockdown day-1 would you believe after the Boris speech lol! And we wanted to do a small extension and jazz it up a little as it’s a bit tired in places but perfectly habitable.

It’s detached, with a single garage attached to the side but only accessible externally, and a big loft space with quite high pitch and a lot of head height.

We were going to go into the garage for living space, above the garage for an en suite (keeping 1m from the edge as edge of garage is boundary) and go into the loft to make an extra bedroom with a shower and toilet above the water works in the bathroom below. Haven’t got architect or builders visits yet.

We have. 2yr old and 4 yr old just starting school so planning to do it start of next summer so when they do the most disruptive stuff with the roof we can move out over the holidays.

Anyone here have recent experiences of lockdown extensions?

Anyone with young families try living at home while doing works?

Device for self managed or getting a project manager to do it?

Any other questions I should ask here lol!?

Thanks!
    I build home extensions for a living and while you're correct to suggest material prices have soared, availability isn't that much of an issue. Try and get a builder recommended by a close friend or family and vitally, ask him to arrange with his previous clients for you to see what he's actually done. This is crucial to your project being a total success.
    You shouldn't need to employ a project manager if the builder is good at his job and by doing your homework and listening to feedback, you'll ensure he is.
    All my work is from word of mouth referral and has been for the last 20+yrs.
    Furthermore, since March last year, extension build cost have risen around 50% or thereabouts so whatever costs you might have come across from a former time, will definitely have moved on.
    Start the ball rolling now because a minimum 6 month waiting list is likely to be the norm for a builder who is good at his job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dust will be the worst thing.

Also, if the garage is on the boundary, I’m pretty sure you can build up without having to instep 1M.

Good luck!
    And remember. Dust…

Agree with the comment about not requiring a project manager. A good builder would be able to manage most of the build.

We stayed put for most of our build until the final breakthrough was done for the lintels etc. However did visit most days to check on progress and answer any queries the contractors had.

Do check previous work and speak to previous clients about any concerns they may have had. Also ask for a detailed spec, as extras and better specs can add up.

Blog Entries
    I am about 2/3 of the way through a huge renovation…. Loft conversion and large extension along with other bits and bobs

Step one…. Work out what you want and why

Step two - get an architect (no builder will quote without drawings) - budget ~£2k - give them a brief and maybe some sketches if you’re wedded to a particular idea

Step three - once you’ve established your plan get quotes (I got three…. Two recommended by the architect and one was a friends recommendation

Quotes, for me, varied wildly- piss takers were shown the door and I settled on a deal where I did sourcing and builder provided Labour (to insulate them from spiralling costs)

Couldn’t be happier with the builder…. Key for me was cost, availability but also I asked myself if I could get on with them…?. I do and they’re nice to have about - lots of banter!

I went to the effort of typing up a 6 page bill of work so that that there was never ever any confusion about what was in and what was out…. I told him at the beginning I didn’t want to ever have a conversation about whether we agreed to hang a door or not…. We also agreed staged payments and 15% final stage on full completion of the contract

Yes, materials are horrendously expensive…. Timber was eye watering, but, I have also had a load of wins sourcing bits and bats as shrewdly as I could…. I’ll end up with an additional 77m2 additional living space for ~£100k finished …. Includes, kitchen, 45m2 patio with pergola, a new pantry, study, bedroom, built in walk in wardrobe and a big en suite…. Two sets of bifolds, patio doors and new glazing to the entire rear of the house with built in blinds…

Spend on the important bits…. Don’t skimp on anything that you want to stand the rest of time (glazing / flooring etc.). Don’t get carried away with kitchens - I spent <£3k with DIY kitchens but spent a load on beautiful full stave prime oak worktops.

I am now waning in my enthusiasm, but, a lot of it has been fun and I’ve been really hands on and worked out all sorts of issues with a builder who I trust and like

Oh yeah…. There’ll be lots of dust!

Wow, you reckon £100k for £77 sqm, that’s brilliant. Even the cheap and nasty builders down here want £1800 per sqm for a basic build not including bifolds etc. You’ve done really well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Wow, you reckon £100k for £77 sqm, that’s brilliant. Even the cheap and nasty builders down here want £1800 per sqm for a basic build not including bifolds etc. You’ve done really well
    77 is probably stretching it !

Usable new space (not incurring landings)

35m2 for the kitchen diner
    25m2 for the bedroom
    3m2 for the wardrobe
    5m2 for the bathroom
    3m2 for the pantry

But, yes, I take your point I’ve done ok…. My builders were reasonable but not cheap and were also fully insulated from material costs…. They’re a relatively new firm too, but, with years of experience (principally a family group of tradesman coming together). The builders dad is the bricky and a true craftsman

Mats and labour has worked out about 50/50

I have spent a lot of time and effort on sourcing although they’ve helped with that too…. I recycled most of the Welsh slate and was lucky enough to be able to reclaim a load of bricks from my old outhouse that was torn down also saving me a fortune…. I managed to snag my 3 giant 1.4m2 Velux new on eBay for £200 a pop! I also got my company to give me £1k’s worth of fire alarm for nowt! Jammily I got a full grant on a new boiler and underfloor insulation too (green deal)…. I found vintage 4 panel fire doors for £40 each that after stripping looking ace and fit the character of the building…. I’ve had a fair run of luck, but, done a huge amount of research!

DONT USE CHECKATRADE and the likes when selecting your choice. They don't allow negative feedback and I know of a number of proper horror stories from top rated builders. One of the main ones being the money runs out and they dissappear.

This is also what I do. Depending on where you are I'd be happy to go through it with you. You'll need architects drawings and full engineering specifications first though. If I can help, pm me for my number.
    All the best
    Ray