closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on bit of a moral dilemma

Advice on bit of a moral dilemma

So time to get thoughts?

In early may knowing that we are going to have a few UK holidays I bought a couple of SUPs online, they had a 5 day delivery date, received an order confirmation, 10 days later still nothing, so emailed them asking for a delivery date, 10 days go by and nothing, emailed them again asking for a confirmed delivery date or I would have to cancel the order and buy in a shop as we need them for a holiday, 10 days go by still nothing, so email to cancel, due to the lack of any communication I contact PayPal and ask for a refund, about 2 weeks later the money arrives back in my account, by then I have bought one from a shop

Fast forward to this week and I get a notification from FedEx that they are delivering 2 SUPs to me and provide tracking details etc for delivery. These are coming from Norway

What should I do and what legally am I responsible for?

No too keen to put alot of effort to get them back to Norway

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what an SUP is, but based on your story I would just sit on them and wait to see if they contact you.

If they want them back, they can come and get them (or send someone to do it on their behalf). I certainly would not be going out of my way to return them given how much they have messed you around.

Perhaps contact FedEx right now to cancel delivery before they send a delivery person to your door? If that fails, you can refuse delivery when they do come to your door.

If FedEx give you a import bill it will get complicated, I guess you may be able to just reject the delivery and it would get sent back?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    I got sent a a G shock that I didn’t order or want…. The seller was a knobend who didn’t want it back as he’d already been paid and I was protected through Amazon

I put it to highest bidder on sales corner and the money went to the fundraiser

Ask the retailer if they want to arrange a courier to pick up…. I doubt they’ll respond ! If not do what you like with them…

I take it you don’t need the two stand up paddle boards? (I had to google it!)

This isn't a moral dilemma at all, the question of legality should be second here to the morality of effectively stealing from this company in Norway.

Contact the Norwegian company, tell them what has happened and ask how to return the items.

Having just read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I take it you don’t need the two stand up paddle boards? (I had to google it!)
    I quite like the stupidity of what I inadvertently suggested....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    ..... I would just sit on them and wait to see if they contact you.

Just refuse delivery. You may be able to do it on the Fedex website - I've done it on UPS before.

From what I’ve seen about paddle boards, they are quite a high value item! I would be surprised if the seller writes them off, are you sure your comms are getting through?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Having just read this:

I quite like the stupidity of what I inadvertently suggested....

@OP: My first instinct would be to refuse the delivery -- here are the relevant bits from T&Cs:
    https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-gb/som.../reject-import
    https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-gb/som...uty_tax_refund
    Last edited by rodia77; 5th September 2021 at 14:13. Reason: found info

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This isn't a moral dilemma at all, the question of legality should be second here to the morality of effectively stealing from this company in Norway.

Contact the Norwegian company, tell them what has happened and ask how to return the items.
    I don't think there's any 'stealing' going on here.
    UK definition of theft "as dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it". I don't think the OP set out to intentionally and dishonestly deprive them of the goods.

I do agree with you that the thing to do here is to contact them on Monday morning and find out how they want to get their goods back.

Send the company one e-mail to explain the situation and follow their instructions (if not overly onerous) if they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    UK definition of theft "as dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it". I don't think the OP set out to intentionally and dishonestly deprive them of the goods.

I do agree with you that the thing to do here is to contact them on Monday morning and find out how they want to get their goods back.
    By keeping them he would be acting dishonestly. These aren't unsolicited goods, they've been sent in error. The legally and morally correct thing to do is to contact the company and let them know, there's no dilemma.

Master
    Happens a lot this!

Make some effort in letting them know and go from there. There is now evidence you have received them so got to cover your arse a wee bit imo

If I never paid for them I’d be getting them sent back or not accepting delivery in the first place, keeping them is clearly dishonest
    but I guess the OP already knew that hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    By keeping them he would be acting dishonestly. These aren't unsolicited goods, they've been sent in error. The legally and morally correct thing to do is to contact the company and let them know, there's no dilemma.
    This exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Happens a lot this!

Make some effort in letting them know and go from there. There is now evidence you have received them so got to cover your arse a wee bit imo
    There’s not.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    As has been said already,just refuse delivery when they turn up. Simples.

Not quite as easy as refusing delivery, might be ok if I'm here but more than likely I'll be at work and they will leave them in a save space

My emails did get through as before they refunded they offered up 2 kids life jackets

Problem being, I'm not sure who refunded me, the company or PayPal, I do know that I'm not out of pocket here, so they are not mine but I can't be arsed trying to send 2 large boxes back to Norway if I don't have to

Try to get them on the phone?
    Cheers..
    Jase

It might not be theft however there is some type of criminal offence being committed if the OP decides to keep the goods. Just think of all those idiots that have been prosecuted in the past when due to a banking mistake a large sum of money has been deposited in their account and they’ve gone ahead and spent it all without having any means of paying it back.

Let's be clear I've already bought and used 2 others so not looking at gaining here ( having 4 may be a tad excessive)

I was planning on leaving them unopened in my garage until they contact me. No sure why I should chase them for their mistake.

It might be a moot point as I will probably get a tax bill for them before they deliver, in which case i can just refuse them

Master
    Wait until you get the delivery information. If you are able to be home on the day of delivery, then you can simply refuse delivery of the items.
    I’ve had this happen to me a number of times when trying to make a delivery.

Master
    I’m sure something of this value would attract vat and duty that you’d be liable for if you accept them

I'd wait until they arrive and inform them and ask them to rectify. I'd be expecting them to arrange pick up etc - I.e. they shouldn't be expecting you to go to a post office. Maybe they'll let you keep it but at least you've let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd wait until they arrive and inform them and ask them to rectify. I'd be expecting them to arrange pick up etc - I.e. they shouldn't be expecting you to go to a post office. Maybe they'll let you keep it but at least you've let them know.
    This. If/when they arrive, advise the seller that you have them and ask them to arrange collection for return.

Then just wait, the onus is on the seller to sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Wait until you get the delivery information. If you are able to be home on the day of delivery, then you can simply refuse delivery of the items.
    I’ve had this happen to me a number of times when trying to make a delivery.
    If not at home, reschedule to somewhere else, local pick-up maybe, but don't.

Journeyman
    Unlike a lot of couriers FedEx will deliver and bill for customs duties later. I would defo and try refuse the delivery or it will get complicated.

I guess another reason for being a bit of a dick to them was that wasn't made clear at point of order that they were coming from Norway, bought from a .co.uk address

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I guess another reason for being a bit of a dick to them was that wasn't made clear at point of order that they were coming from Norway, bought from a .co.uk address

That's certainly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Unlike a lot of couriers FedEx will deliver and bill for customs duties later. I would defo and try refuse the delivery or it will get complicated.
    This. But if they will be delivered for some reason I would make the return somebody else’ problem.

Journeyman

Which website did you buy from?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Which website did you buy from?
    Www.localnorweigianpaddleboards.co.uk

Well this has been a bizarre twist

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/coolsnow.co.uk

So lots of unhappy people who have paid money and got no boards and I have my money back and having 2 boards delivered

Advice on bit of a moral dilemma

Just a thought - have you checked your junk mail folder? Once or twice I’ve been left a little rosey cheeked in that regard

This is covered by the unsolicited goods act. Have a read here https://www.thecomplainingcow.co.uk/...licited-goods/

Update - packages arrived today, left on doorstep so no chance to cancel

Emailed them today and have given 3 weeks to pickup or I will dispose of item, also made them aware they are responsible for any vat liability I suffer because of this

Master

Agree that you can't class this as theft .

I would agree that refusing delivery is fine and I doubt it would go beyond that . Though I would not actively seek out any further communication with the company . Its really not your problem.

Master
    Update - packages arrived today, left on doorstep so no chance to cancel

Emailed them today and have given 3 weeks to pickup or I will dispose of item, also made them aware they are responsible for any vat liability I suffer because of this

Ah only just seen . Yes thats all I would do to.