closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Servicing watches from the Swatch Group

  1. #1
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,680

    Servicing watches from the Swatch Group

    I just sent my Breguet Type XX off to Breguet for a full service. At £835 for service and light valet it wasn't cheap but it was the cheapest quote I got!

    All the reputable indys were quoting prices north of £900 citing unavailability of parts and tools from Swatch as the reason. Will be interesting to see how/if this filters to the other brands like Omega and Longines. I suspect for the vintage Omegas there are enough parts going around to deal with those but the newer ones I suspect you'll be needing to take the servicing costs via Swatch on the chin

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,353
    Blog Entries
    1
    Surely for the basic ETA movements parts aren;t too much of an issue.

    At that price, Rolex is positively good value.

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Surely for the basic ETA movements parts aren;t too much of an issue.

    At that price, Rolex is positively good value.
    Itís the case- specific parts that are the biggest problem.

  4. #4
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Surely for the basic ETA movements parts aren;t too much of an issue.

    At that price, Rolex is positively good value.
    To be fair that price is for the Type XX which is a flyback chronograph. Probably fairer to compare to a Rolex Daytona servicing price wise and I reckon that would be similar

  5. #5
    I think it would be fairer to compare Breguet servicing costs with the likes of PP and AP as thatís the sector they operate in. Then the costs probably seem like good value. Picked up my new to me 5827 today which comes with a fresh Swatch service. It falls into the servicing category above the XX and the service was £995 plus £125 for polishing.

  6. #6
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I think it would be fairer to compare Breguet servicing costs with the likes of PP and AP as thatís the sector they operate in. Then the costs probably seem like good value. Picked up my new to me 5827 today which comes with a fresh Swatch service. It falls into the servicing category above the XX and the service was £995 plus £125 for polishing.
    Congrats on the Marine - that's a lovely watch. Enjoy!

  7. #7
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,680
    No charge for lube so I assume once I'm bent over the table they go in dry?

    This is for a Breguet Type XX. Some of the things they picked up I'd never have noticed (damaged pusher, displaced dial). Pic of the watch just before it was sent off- maybe someone with a keener eye than me can see the alleged dial displacement).

    Anyway I've bitten the bullet and it is Breguet doing the work. Shame the watch is so darn lovely else I'd have gotten rid
    Last edited by ryanb741; 17th September 2021 at 08:59.

  8. #8
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,734
    Blog Entries
    2
    Ouch. I had my mil spec done recently as the crown was farked, 470 quid I think so not bad.
    Must be the Chrono element of the Breguet.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Budapest via Surrey, UK
    Posts
    263
    That service is not too badÖ my PAM 111 was £800!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ouch. I had my mil spec done recently as the crown was farked, 470 quid I think so not bad.
    Must be the Chrono element of the Breguet.
    For a fix or full service. If the latter thatís brilliant

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,353
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No charge for lube so I assume once I'm bent over the table they go in dry?

    This is for a Breguet Type XX. Some of the things they picked up I'd never have noticed (damaged pusher, displaced dial). Pic of the watch just before it was sent off- maybe someone with a keener eye than me can see the alleged dial displacement).
    How would the dial even be displaced unless at previous service?

    Anyway £745 seems not too outlandish for a Breguet chrono service seeing as Rolex is £600 for a bog standard 3185 movement.

    Oooof at the clasp price though....

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,734
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    For a fix or full service. If the latter thatís brilliant
    Full, it was a bit cheaper on checking, 455 with 18 postage etc.



  13. #13
    Hope itís working ok when returned. My 5827 lasted less than a week before going back due to the rotor jamming on a screw that wasnít tightened and worked its way out. Seems itís not just Richemont and Rolex service departments that need a lesson in quality control!

  14. #14
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,680
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Full, it was a bit cheaper on checking, 455 with 18 postage etc.


    Ah that's Blancpain not Breguet though. Cracking price for a BP service though

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    459
    I paid a similar price for my service the watch is now indistinguishable from new . Breguet replaced the strap which was a bummer because the original strap was in fine condition Ö
    Maybe send it sans strap .


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information