closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoons Yay, or Nay?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Same here Ian. Refusing to enter because of the owners politics is akin to me refusing to use my VW camper because VW used forced labour in the war. Where to draw the line?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Have to agree. The list of companies to avoid would probably mean going to live in a cave! The hypocrisy is high on this one I think.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have to agree. The list of companies to avoid would probably mean going to live in a cave! The hypocrisy is high on this one I think.
    Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    A very good summary.
    Agreed. His behaviour was horrible.

If I need a boost, I will always seek out a Spoons in the morning. It’s only when you are inside, do you benefit in the knowledge of knowing how very fortunate you are compared to the die hard regulars
    Last edited by Chinnock; 5th September 2021 at 07:40.

Same here Ian. Refusing to enter because of the owners politics is akin to me refusing to use my VW camper because VW used forced labour in the war. Where to draw the line?

Actually not because of "the owners politics" but because he drip fed those political beliefs to his largely gullible customers on beer mat's and via his Spoons magazine.
    I'll leave the thread now unless the gaffer decides to move it to the BP.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Actually not because of "the owners politics" but because he drip fed those political beliefs to his largely gullible customers on beer mat's and via his Spoons magazine.
    Bye.

Patterns - always patterns.

Blog Entries
    Do not go to Wetherspoons for the simple reason there is not one near me however i have in the past and they do a job of work if however i was near to one and fancied a quick bite and a pint i would be safe in the knowledge i would not meet certain members of this forum.
    Every cloud etc.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Do not go to Wetherspoons for the simple reason there is not one near me however i have in the past and they do a job of work if however i was near to one and fancied a quick bite and a pint i would be safe in the knowledge i would not meet certain members of this forum.
    Every cloud etc.
    Positive thinking in action ;)

Frankly, if the title of this thread had been:

'Sports Direct Yay, Or Nay?' or -

'Greggs Yay, Or Nay?' or -

'Maccy D Yay, Or Nay?' or -

'Primark Yay, Or Nay?',

the responses would have been broadly similar.

There's a whole raft of retail/hospitality sectors that appeals to certain people & doesn't appeal to others.

As to the OP - I'm OK with Wetherspoon's (although I haven't been in one since March 2020), but I'd avoid Brewdog products if possible as I don't like what I've read about the actions of the founders.
    ______

​Jim.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    If I avoided using the products or visiting the businesses of everyone/company I felt had behaved badly then I would be sat at home drinking water with a slice of bread.
    I also wouldn’t be typing this on my iPad.

Never been in one but believe they're good for gammon.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    If I avoided using the products or visiting the businesses of everyone/company I felt had behaved badly then I would be sat at home drinking water with a slice of bread.
    I also wouldn’t be typing this on my iPad.
    Ah, but what bread? Hovis? Total bar stewards …

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never been in one but believe they're good for gammon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You can add "attend a Christopher Biggins panto" to the list, if it wasn't there already.
    Presumably that's a given, no?

No sport and no music sounds good, I may visit one soon.

Thing that often puts me off is that they often feel like what they were, furniture stores... Zero atmosphere.

Beer and food is cheap. I go now and then, but not my first choice.

Sadly if I didn't go where I disliked the management's politics, I'd need to emigrate, so I tend to separate the two.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 5th September 2021 at 15:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

A definite Yay.

As it happens, I went on a bit of a pub crawl with my brother yesterday afternoon/evening and as well as a couple of Fullers pubs and a couple of independents we went to both the Wetherspoons that my town is blessed with...and guess which were the busiest and full of people conversing rather than watching TV or shouting over the latest grim(e) or Hip Hop!

Independents were charging anything between £4:00 and £6:50 for a pint of beer while a pint of Abbot Ale cost £2.29 in my local Wetherspoons.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a comparison Birmingham Spoons The Brier Rose two Gin and Tonics one pint of Shipyard IPA and one pint Cider, total cost £10.68 same round in the The Botanist £32.30 We always use Spoons for the first couple for the aforementioned reason

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    As someone who drinks in Sam Smith's pub every Monday evening, a Weatherspoons is like a fancy wine bar by comparison.

Blog Entries
    Patterns - always patterns.

Stay, you know you want to

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not keen but when others want to go I'll tag along ...

Lots of businesses who's ethics I don't like but there seems to be less and less choice as the big corporates seem be rolling over everything.

The days of choice and competition are over ... big business is winning out in every area which is why most of our high streets all look the same.

Just look at watch retail ... the small one-store independents are getting squeezed out by the big boys.

I have imposed a lifetime ban on myself ever stepping foot in one of those establishments again that started off as pubs, but have become a shelter and rest home for all kinds of social rejects off the streets to fill all the seats and tables with their cheap endless refill coffee.

Stay, you know you want to
    Mate my resistance is weak

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    A definite Yay.

As it happens, I went on a bit of a pub crawl with my brother yesterday afternoon/evening and as well as a couple of Fullers pubs and a couple of independents we went to both the Wetherspoons that my town is blessed with...and guess which were the busiest and full of people conversing rather than watching TV or shouting over the latest grim(e) or Hip Hop!

Independents were charging anything between £4:00 and £6:50 for a pint of beer while a pint of Abbot Ale cost £2.29 in my local Wetherspoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    As a comparison Birmingham Spoons The Brier Rose two Gin and Tonics one pint of Shipyard IPA and one pint Cider, total cost £10.68 same round in the The Botanist £32.30 We always use Spoons for the first couple for the aforementioned reason
    If value for money and a 'pub' atmosphere are what you want then spoons seem to be the answer. Not everyone wants big TVs, hipster prices and loud music. And I'm sure the staff are pleased to be busy and back to work.

Blog Entries
    Mate my resistance is weak
    Ha ha, I know how you feel!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have imposed a lifetime ban on myself ever stepping foot in one of those establishments again that started off as pubs, but have become a shelter and rest home for all kinds of social rejects off the streets to fill all the seats and tables with their cheap endless refill coffee.
    Crikey, sounds like the caffs we used to frequent in the days of Tritons and Tribsas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    become a shelter and rest home for all kinds of social rejects off the streets to fill all the seats and tables with their cheap endless refill coffee.
    You snob.

Absolute nonsense. Loads of A level students, university students and those that like a decent pint at a cheap price.

Somehow lower income people if the go to spoons are now social rejects. Absolute clap trap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You snob.

Absolute nonsense. Loads of A level students, university students and those that like a decent pint at a cheap price.

Somehow lower income people if the go to spoons are now social rejects. Absolute clap trap.
    Can only agree maybe it’s forgotten that for many of our fellows their “ AD” is cash converters and every penny really does count
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You snob.

True enough. Not everyone can afford to pay hipster joint prices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    True enough. Not everyone can afford to pay hipster joint prices.
    To right. I could afford to, but I won’t

Craftsman
    A typical ‘Spoons is like celery - calorie neutral.

The toilet is always half a mile from the bar so you burn off the calories you’ve drunk every time you go for a pee!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Contractors heaven ,couldn’t give a toss about Tim ,I like a pint and don’t want bumming.
    Which leads us to

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You can add "attend a Christopher Biggins panto" to the list, if it wasn't there already.
    He’s behind you!!

For anyone afeared of going into a Wetherspoons I suggest you get your self up to Newcastle and go for a pint in the Black Garter on either Giro day or match day. You'll then celebrate and rejoice for your local W'spoons.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I find it funny that people defending Wetherspoons are also judging pubs with TVs on the wall, music pubs or ones that run quizzes?! Some people like those types of pub, snobbery seems to work both ways here.

One of the great things about the UK are its diverse range of pubs, I’ve been to some good Wetherspoons and I’ve been to some horrible ones. It’s the same with any pub chain and also the independents.

I tend not to eat in them, I shy away from bargain basement food generally, so although I won’t eat cheap meat (that rules out Wetherspoons currys etc) I’ll happily eat a basket of chips/bag of crisps with my pint.

I’m a couple of pints after a good walk type pub goer these days, but do sometimes go to them with work colleagues when I’m away, or meeting up prior to watching the rugby (those were the days) and I wouldn’t notice in those situations whose pub it is.

Wetherspoons seems yet another thing to divide over these days, sadly.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I’m as happy in a Wetherspoons or a proper spit and sawdust boozer as I am in a wine bar. It’s the company I’m in that’s important to me, not the pub itself.

FWIW There’s plenty of pubs and restaurants that are likely owned by much more unsavoury characters than the aforementioned Tim Martin

Master
    The only reason I'll voluntarily enter a pub is for food - I just don't like them, the smell of sour beer and BO, the noise (i'm slightly mutt'n' so vocal background noise plays hobb with hearing the person next to me), the lack of seating, the annoyingly drunk clientele, the list continues.

All this makes Weatherspoons the pinnacle of everything I loathe about pubs without even touching on the personality of the owner whom I find to be an odious little oik.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’m as happy in a Wetherspoons or a proper spit and sawdust boozer as I am in a wine bar. It’s the company I’m in that’s important to me, not the pub itself.

FWIW There’s plenty of pubs and restaurants that are likely owned by much more unsavoury characters than the aforementioned Tim Martin
    Frankly I care nothing for Martin, but like the lying twunts Bozo, Fromage, the Express, the Mail and the Telegraph, he drip fed his bulls**t to customers for years, he (Martin) like the others made a contribution to the divided country we now live in.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The only reason I'll voluntarily enter a pub is for food - I just don't like them, the smell of sour beer and BO, the noise (i'm slightly mutt'n' so vocal background noise plays hobb with hearing the person next to me), the lack of seating, the annoyingly drunk clientele, the list continues.

All this makes Weatherspoons the pinnacle of everything I loathe about pubs without even touching on the personality of the owner whom I find to be an odious little oik.

You should move North. The pubs up here don't sell sour beer, the customers bathe, there's plenty of seating and any drunks are ejected.
    F.T.F.A.

I know the Weatherspoons in Morpeth
    Been in a few times pre scamdemic. Good beers at exceptional prices. Breakfast as good as any cafe. Wore my Rolex Milgauss with no dread or fear.
    I like the Prices.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Forum: George & Dragon

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.
    Ooops. 😂

Frankly I care nothing for Martin, but like the lying twunts Bozo, Fromage, the Express, the Mail and the Telegraph, he drip fed his bulls**t to customers for years, he (Martin) like the others made a contribution to the divided country we now live in.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 7th September 2021 at 09:41.

Ooops. 😂
    Be sympathetic Ian, must be hard work carrying all that bile around ;)

SydR
    A definite nay from me. Plenty of nicer places to go to.

Oh dear. 
    The title of the thread is ''Wetherspoons Yay, or Nay?''

Therefore I've said 'nay' and I'm giving my reasons, my opinions are based upon Martins exploitation of staff and him taking advantage of a 'captive audience' to promote his agenda, equally Sports Direct etc.
    Perhaps my 'moral compass' is more sensitive than other peoples - I appreciate that you're trying to make this 'political' but the fact is I don't like liars or those who manipulate the public for their own POV whatever colour they subscribe to, this is why I don't do Spoons.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sympathetic Ian, must be hard work carrying all that bile around ;)

You have a very short memory,

Lolz.

Blog Entries
    The title of the thread is ''Wetherspoons Yay, or Nay?''
    ……..

You have a very short memory,
    As opposed to a rather selective one perhaps? :-)

As opposed to a rather selective one perhaps? :-)
    The sun is shining, enjoy the day chum.

Blog Entries
    The sun is shining, enjoy the day chum.
    I am. You too old chap.

Lovely day in London today. Boiling. Half of Wetherspoons customers will be passed out in a local park with an empty White Lightning nearby and piss stains all over their pants.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lovely day in London today. Boiling. Half of Wetherspoons customers will be passed out in a local park with an empty White Lightning nearby and piss stains all over their pants.
    Ha ha. Brilliant! Bit risky in London parks though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like a top day out! :-D

Currently sat outside a lovely pub on Hartley Wintney with top company. Not spoons prices obviously, but not too spicy either and well worth the extra few pennies.

Last edited by Ruggertech; 7th September 2021 at 13:07.