closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoons Yay, or Nay?

Wetherspoons Yay, or Nay?

I was put off by their behaviour during the pandemic, but popped into the Kingston branch for a curry and a pint while shopping at lunchtime today.

The curry, while not up to the local tandoori standards, was equivalent to a very good chilled supermarket version, and I enjoyed it. The curry came with a 660ml bottle of Brewdog Hazy Jane, all for a total of £6.45.

I nearly fell off my chair, as a pint of crap bitter in SW London on its own is pushing that in normal pubs.

I wouldn't give a penny to Tim Martin personally but appreciate he seems to have what he does nailed, rightly or wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I wouldn't give a penny to Tim Martin personally but appreciate he seems to have what he does nailed, rightly or wrongly.
    A very good summary.

Not bothered about the owners politics, I'd hardly go anywhere or buy anything if that was the case.
    When I was a contractor working away I always sought out the nearest spoons to avail myself of the nightly deals. A steak and a couple of pints for a tenner or less is not to be sniffed at.
    However, the experience varies greatly from town to town even if the deals are the same. When I worked at Westland Helicopters the one in Yeovil was like being on the set of the Island of Dr.Moreau, luckily there were other very nice pubs in the town. When at Britton Norman the one in Ryde was perfect acceptable and I ate there almost every evening.
    So horses for courses really, I can understand if someone has had a bad experience and so tarred them all with the same brush, but I think common or garden snobbery (conscious or unconscious) plays a large part in some peoples attitudes.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th September 2021 at 17:46.

Grand Master
    Agree with the comments above. You can`t beat 'Spoons for value and I`ve always been happy with the food. OK, the curry won`t be as good as your favourite restaurant but you can guarantee it'll more than acceptable. Straightforward snobbery puts some folks off whether they admit it or not.

Master
    I like Tim Martin, not that fond of Wetherspoons pubs usually but I like to support him occasionally as a reward for his support for the Leave campaign.

Nae...

Cheers,

Adam.

I’d rather eat my own toenail clippings than a ‘spoons meal. How do you think they make it so cheap? Horrible.

I used to go to the one in Southgate High Street when I was 18 as it was cheap. Actually went there on Thursday first time in years. Like a time warp. The clientele mainly seems to be people alone drinking pint after pint.

The food really isn't great. Is it cheap ? Yes . Is it good - far from it.

Not in a rush to ever go back.

I can't say what I think of Tim Martin and the 'Spoons unless this thread is in the Bear Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I like Tim Martin, not that fond of Wetherspoons pubs usually but I like to support him occasionally as a reward for his support for the Leave campaign.
    I will never spend money in there ever again for the same reason. Nor will I buy a Dyson….or a JCB!

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I used to go to the one in Southgate High Street when I was 18 as it was cheap. Actually went there on Thursday first time in years. Like a time warp. The clientele mainly seems to be people alone drinking pint after pint.

The food really isn't great. Is it cheap ? Yes . Is it good - far from it.

Not in a rush to ever go back.
    For a time warp with food in Southgate I'd just head to Fantozzi. Just a shame it's always someone's birthday there.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For a time warp with food in Southgate I'd just head to Fantozzi. Just a shame it's always someone's birthday there.
    so true dont think the menu or decor has changed there in years !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I was put off by their behaviour during the pandemic, but popped into the Kingston branch for a curry and a pint while shopping at lunchtime today.

The curry, while not up to the local tandoori standards, was equivalent to a very good chilled supermarket version, and I enjoyed it. The curry came with a 660ml bottle of Brewdog Hazy Jane, all for a total of £6.45.

I nearly fell off my chair, as a pint of crap bitter in SW London on its own is pushing that in normal pubs.
    What did he do during the pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I will never spend money in there ever again for the same reason. Nor will I buy a Dyson….or a JCB!
    Agreed, and for the same reason I would never buy an Ineos.
    Last edited by number2; 4th September 2021 at 17:09.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Forum: George & Dragon

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Forum: George & Dragon

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.
    So as not to stray over the line - amended.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Contractors heaven ,couldn’t give a toss about Tim ,I like a pint and don’t want bumming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly.

Scum of the Earth and the cherry on the brexit pile of shite was how they have treated their staff during the pandemic. Shameful and those that support them should feel ashamed as well in supporting anyone who behaves in such a despicable way

No, never.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

No thanks, there is a reason they are cheap…someone (or many) are getting shafted throughout the supply chain, no doubt. I’d rather pay for quality.

You can add "attend a Christopher Biggins panto" to the list, if it wasn't there already.

Master
    Haven’t been to one in ages depends on the individual pub ours used to have a great selection of beer and whiskey prob down to the manager they always used to have thornbridge Jaipur on tap, I’ve been to others like an episode of the walking dead full of pissed up bums staggering around trying to pick fights with each other looks like all martins brexit crap has come back to bite him in the arse now not being able to get cheap Eastern European staff anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    No thanks, there is a reason they are cheap…someone (or many) are getting shafted throughout the supply chain, no doubt. I’d rather pay for quality.
    Pretty much sums it up. Was persuaded to have a curry in one once and it was abysmal.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

No. If it gets sold to a new buyer I might reconsider.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I’m not that fussed about eating in them but I’m quite happy to have a pint in most ‘Spoons. They are often in interesting buildings and have decent beer at a low price. I can’t argue that the clientele in some are “interesting”.

Personally I think that many people reject them out of hand based purely on their own snobbishness.

Master
    In general, no. This mostly reflects the fact I try and avoid chain restaurants/pubs in general rather a specific issue with 'spoons. Occasionally you find a bad independent pub or restaurant but on most occasions I haven't regretted my policy, especially with availability of online reviews.

Having said that, on the few occasions I have eaten there, the standard "something with chips" options have been OK though the breakfast isn't great IMO. Drinks are fairly standard but well priced.

I haven't ever been in one that 100% hacked it as a real pub.

If a real pub were available I would default to that.

But....

I grew up in Liskeard, a town with a dearth of decent pubs. The last one that I would deign to drink in closed a couple of years ago.
    But it has sprouted a 'Spoons, and it does serve as an acceptable locus for an evening on the town as we await the Second Coming of the Barley Sheaf.

Or pop down on the train to Looe; plenty of decent pubs there. No 'Spoons either; doesn't need one.

I'm not sure why some people think its due to snobbishness that people don't like Wheterspoons.

No music
    No Sports
    No Pub Quizs
    Terrible food
    decor is old in most of them
    High number of clientele look like alcoholics.

There's nothing snobby about not liking the above.

Last one I was in was at Guisborough, lovely pub, didn't have food but it was very busy serving food.
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

I'm not sure why some people think its due to snobbishness that people don't like Wheterspoons.

No music
    No Sports
    No Pub Quizs

Terrible food

Three reasons highlighted to make a pub more attractive. Terrible food? - pubs are for drinking in, you don't want them stinking of food. High number of clientele look like alcoholics? - the pubs I frequent bar people like that.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    +1... nor vote Tory

z

Craftsman
    As someone who drinks in Sam Smith's pub every Monday evening, a Weatherspoons is like a fancy wine bar by comparison.

Master
    My local 'Spoons is grim and I prefer not to drink there but it provide reasonably priced food and drink. I've drank in a few which were beautiful buildings and had a good time. That said, where I eat and drink is usually based on quality and service and atmosphere, not politics, and that generally rules out Wetherspoons for the first three reason reasons rather than the fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Not bothered about the owners politics, I'd hardly go anywhere or buy anything if that was the case.
    When I was a contractor working away I always sought out the nearest spoons to avail myself of the nightly deals. A steak and a couple of pints for a tenner or less is not to be sniffed at.
    However, the experience varies greatly from town to town even if the deals are the same. When I worked at Westland Helicopters the one in Yeovil was like being on the set of the Island of Dr.Moreau, luckily there were other very nice pubs in the town. When at Britton Norman the one in Ryde was perfect acceptable and I ate there almost every evening.
    So horses for courses really, I can understand if someone has had a bad experience and so tarred them all with the same brush, but I think common or garden snobbery (conscious or unconscious) plays a large part in some peoples attitudes.

Agree with all of the above. Certainly our local spoons serves a decent pint and perfectly adequate food for a fraction of the cost of other local pubs. If I want gourmet food I’ll go to a restaurant but for pub grub I think they’re fine. Ours is also populated by locals, as opposed to all the current London visitors in the fancy local gastropubs paying £6 a pint. If I wanted to be surrounded by Londoners banging on about their Tesla and private schools I’d have stayed in London! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Agree with all of the above. Certainly our local spoons serves a decent pint and perfectly adequate food for a fraction of the cost of other local pubs. If I want gourmet food I’ll go to a restaurant but for pub grub I think they’re fine. Ours is also populated by locals, as opposed to all the current London visitors in the fancy local gastropubs paying £6 a pint. If I wanted to be surrounded by Londoners banging on about their Tesla and private schools I’d have stayed in London! ;)

Quite, I also fully appreciate a fine meal, but sometimes a quick cheap and cheerful burger and pint fits the bill perfectly.
    Also, although my local spoons isn't the best by a long chalk, I went there a few times pre pandemic when I had repeated day long appointments in the tattooists chair for a half sleeve. An invigorating brekkie and 9:30am pint to steel me for the coming hours under the needle was pure heaven.

Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th September 2021 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    As someone who drinks in Sam Smith's pub every Monday evening, a Weatherspoons is like a fancy wine bar by comparison.
    Agreed. Sam Smith’s FTW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You can add "attend a Christopher Biggins panto" to the list, if it wasn't there already.
    That’s my Christmas plans ruined.

Master

No music
    No Sports
    No Pub Quizs
    Terrible food

Some of us consider the above a bonus:

No music - wonderful. In fact I refuse to eat or drink in pubs or restaurants that do inflict music on people.
    No sports - ditto. A TV in a pub - how naff is that?
    No pub quiz - well really, is that an issue? I usually leave if one starts.

As for the other points:

Terrible food - IMO they get the basics decent enough. Can't go wrong with fish & chips and a bottle of cider.
    Decor is old - again .. does it matter? As long as it's clean enough, and most of them are.
    Alchoholic-looking clientele - bit judgmental, no?

Frankly anyone who is happy to tolerate relentless musac or sky sports droning on from a giant screen, rather than complaining about it and tell the feckers to switch them off and give the customers some peace to talk (something you never have to do at a 'Spoons), is someone I'd rather not hang out with. Or maybe I'm being snobbish and judgmental now.

Blog Entries
    Some Spoons are pretty rough but they can be handy for a well priced pint. Last one we went in was the Barrel Vault in St Pancras, killing time before a Eurostar trip to a river cruise with friends. Clean surroundings and a good pint or two. The local one to us is a bit rough so we don’t bother.
    I don’t usually worry about the owners politics when looking for a pint or pub grub. No doubt I’ve been in some whose owners views are opposite to mine, such is life and I don’t begrudge them making a living.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Because it is.

No music
    No Sports
    No Pub Quizs
    Terrible food
    No music? So what. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    No sports? So what. If I want to watch sport I’ll do it home or go to a specific bar. I don’t like drinking in pubs where there is a bloody great telly blaring out shite.
    No pub quiz? Good grief. If that’s the gold standard for a pub kill me now.
    Terrible food? I don’t go to a Spoons for a high quality meal any more than I would go to a Michelin starred restaurant to drink heavily and fall over.
    Alcoholic looking clientele? Umm….it’s a pub.

W'spoons' decor invariably appears worn out / soiled /dull ...and their draught cider is awful ... Only reason I enter is because friends like it. Semi-warm chips have spoilt several 'meals' ... and I have been short-changed. Coffee is OK - ish.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Decor is old - again .. does it matter? As long as it's clean enough, and most of them are.
    I think sometimes this is done on purpose. Because Wetherspoons regularly save old characterful buildings from a slow and painfull demise, they often try to keep some of the original character (it doesn't hurt that this policy also saves a bit of money of course). The one in Haverfordwest is a prime example of this.

To drink in Wetherspoons is to drink in treason.

That is all.

Agreed. Sam Smith’s FTW.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s my Christmas plans ruined.
    Paid £6.50 for a pint of Sam Smiths organic lager in central London - The Chandos, last week. I nearly fell off my bar stool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don’t usually worry about the owners politics when looking for a pint or pub grub. No doubt I’ve been in some whose owners views are opposite to mine, such is life and I don’t begrudge them making a living.
    Same here Ian. Refusing to enter because of the owners politics is akin to me refusing to use my VW camper because VW used forced labour in the war. Where to draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Same here Ian. Refusing to enter because of the owners politics is akin to me refusing to use my VW camper because VW used forced labour in the war. Where to draw the line?

Draw the line based on recent history.

Draw the line based on recent history.
    For the survivors it is very recent.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I can't say what I think of Tim Martin and the 'Spoons unless this thread is in the Bear Pit.
    Plus one.

I probably visited one a handful of times before you know what, and will never set foot in a Wetherspoons again.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Plus one.

I probably visited one a handful of times before you know what, and will never set foot in a Wetherspoons again.
    +1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Because it is.

No music? So what. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    No sports? So what. If I want to watch sport I’ll do it home or go to a specific bar. I don’t like drinking in pubs where there is a bloody great telly blaring out shite.
    No pub quiz? Good grief. If that’s the gold standard for a pub kill me now.
    Terrible food? I don’t go to a Spoons for a high quality meal any more than I would go to a Michelin starred restaurant to drink heavily and fall over.
    Alcoholic looking clientele? Umm….it’s a pub.
    Have to agree. Most of those would see me turning around and walking out. Especially big telly pubs!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.