closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any questions for Bremont?

Master

Any questions for Bremont?

Heading on a tour of Bremont shortly. Any questions I can ask for anyone?

Not sure if you can ask but a lot of members here would like to know if there is any truth the story about crash landing on a farm in France and if there is any supporting evidence. I dont think it really matters to me but there are people here who stay awake at night wondering.
    Enjoy the visit and hope you come back with a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    … I dont think it really matters to me ...
    Sounds quite the opposite in fact.

Enjoy the tour, OP.

Yes, any idea when they will be manufacturing an all in-house, UK-made movement?

It's been mañana for years.

Enjoy the day

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Sounds quite the opposite in fact..
    just what I was thinking…

Master
    Not sure if you can ask but a lot of members here would like to know if there is any truth the story about crash landing on a farm in France and if there is any supporting evidence. I dont think it really matters to me but there are people here who stay awake at night wondering.
    Enjoy the visit and hope you come back with a purchase.
    I asked, and it’s true. You’re supposed to call the police by law of course, and they’ll send people who will cut the wings off. The farmer didn’t do this; instead he fed and watered them. They were going to call the brand “English watches” but it was an issue getting the registration, then they thought about buying smiths but in the end settled on Bremont.

Apparently they have barely any customer base as a result though.

Great tour and lovely to see the behind the scenes aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I asked, and it’s true. You’re supposed to call the police by law of course, and they’ll send people who will cut the wings off. The farmer didn’t do this; instead he fed and watered them.
    Sorry Wayne, that's not independent evidence. Their story just doesn't hold water. What western, developed country cuts the wings off a plane that's been forced to land other than at an airport?

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour but the founding myth seems to me to be just that, myth.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I asked, and it’s true. You’re supposed to call the police by law of course, and they’ll send people who will cut the wings off. The farmer didn’t do this; instead he fed and watered them. They were going to call the brand “English watches” but it was an issue getting the registration, then they thought about buying smiths but in the end settled on Bremont.

Apparently they have barely any customer base as a result though.

Great tour and lovely to see the behind the scenes aspect.
    Not true. My friend flies light aircraft all over Europe for business and pleasure. In the event of a forced landings the aim is to get the plane back in the air where and when it's safe to do so. Cutting the wings off means everyone is stuck with a useless aircraft so as well as not being the law it just doesn't make sense. I'm afraid the Wright (or Wrong) Flyer fiasco has left Bremont with a credibility issue and their marketing BS really doesn't do them any favours.

The all-British in-house movement was supposed to appear this year (or was it last year) and so far, no sign of it.

Still, I'll buy one. If I had a sports car, a barn conversion in the Cotswolds and some red trousers.

I don’t understand how people get so cross with this. I do not care if the story is True, a half truth or marketing BS. The whole of the watch industry is full of marketing bullshit.

The Wright Flyer was a major cock up that took attention away from a very nice watch with a decent movement but that was years ago now and they have never tried anything similar since.

The Uk movement is a long term project and I don’t see anyone else attempting it. They have built a purpose built manufacturing centre. Many of their parts are made in the UK. Many watches are assembled in the UK.

I think too many people hold unreasonable grudges to a company that has done very well, is successful but isn’t either humble enough or is just perceived as too posh for people

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I don’t understand how people get so cross with this. I do not care if the story is True, a half truth or marketing BS. The whole of the watch industry is full of marketing bullshit.

The Wright Flyer was a major cock up that took attention away from a very nice watch with a decent movement but that was years ago now and they have never tried anything similar since.

The Uk movement is a long term project and I don’t see anyone else attempting it. They have built a purpose built manufacturing centre. Many of their parts are made in the UK. Many watches are assembled in the UK.

I think too many people hold unreasonable grudges to a company that has done very well, is successful but isn’t either humble enough or is just perceived as too posh for people
    They’re just trying too hard is all.

I wish they’d tone it down a bit and cut the crap. The watches aren’t bad but the military thing and posing with Porsches is bit embarrassing. Also, ironically, very un-English (remember understatement and dignity?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    N

Still, I'll buy one. If I had a sports car, a barn conversion in the Cotswolds and some red trousers.
    I'd buy a Solo 37 at the right price even if I didn't meet these other criteria.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 4th September 2021 at 22:11.

Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

The all-British in-house movement was supposed to appear this year (or was it last year) and so far, no sign of it.
    You have to wonder why the delay, it's not like we're in the middle of a global crisis....

Let's be a bit sensible about this. I imagine that the priority at the moment for any company is staying afloat. An in-house movement, whatever that means, may happen or may not but I can't imagine it will surface until we're back in more normal times.

W44ane

How was the tour, I live about a mile away and was thinking of going.

The watches aren’t bad but the military thing and posing with Porsches is bit embarrassing. Also, ironically, very un-English (remember understatement and dignity?)
    I don't get this comment. What's wrong with the way that Bremont supports the military? Given that the owners father was a military man it stands to reason.

as for the Porsche, one brother owns a classic Porsche, the other owns a classic Jag. Given the events they get involved with they're obviously big car fans. Do they both have to own Morgans to legitimise the British banner or are they allowed to enjoy whatever hobbies they enjoy on a personal level?

I don't think that the in-house movement debacle was the biggest problem with the Wright Flyer, in fact the vast majority of watch buying public won't even know about the story. It's biggest problem, in my view, is a stainless steel watch from a relatively new and little know brand costing £17k. Somewhat oddly, the white gold versions (at over £30k) all sold out and are rarely ever seen on the pre-owned market but the stainless steel version struggled.

Master
    Blog Entries

I wish they’d tone it down a bit and cut the crap. The watches aren’t bad but the military thing and posing with Porsches is bit embarrassing. Also, ironically, very un-English (remember understatement and dignity?)
    The military thing is a nice earner, they must be doing something right to knock breitling off the top Spot for crew room wrist fodder.

Ha! Quite predictably, the thread has descended into - Invent your own reason to dislike Bremont:-)
    Wayne- thanks for asking and am glad you enjoyed the tour.

Blog Entries
    Wayne. Did you get some pictures while there? It would be great to see a “report” on your visit and learn about our indigenous watch making firm. Hope you enjoyed it! Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got an early (2012) ALT1-C and what I found amazing was the design oversight on the minute subdial. It’s 30m, a marker at each 5 minute interval and another in between each 5 min one - so a marker at two and a half minutes. Useless.
    How something can go from design, right through to production without anybody piping up is beyond me.

Although, it seems they’ve changed it since.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I’ve got an early (2012) ALT1-C and what I found amazing was the design oversight on the minute subdial. It’s 30m, a marker at each 5 minute interval and another in between each 5 min one - so a marker at two and a half minutes. Useless.
    How something can go from design, right through to production without anybody piping up is beyond me.

If another more famous firm had done this - yours would be worth a huge pile of dosh!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If another more famous firm had done this - yours would be worth a huge pile of dosh!
    I did consider that - a Bremont error dial!

More recently a Heuer reissue did something similar.

Ha! Quite predictably, the thread has descended into - Invent your own reason to dislike Bremont:-)
    So you lit the touch paper by asking an inflammatory question and are now trying to fan the flames using the comment above. Seems more like you're hoping it will descend into a thread full of Bremont haters rather than it actually happening just yet. I really like Bremont. I recognise that they have flaws and have made mistakes but also that they're a business and engineering company investing in the UK. That's a huge positive in the current climate.

Grand Master
    Why do people still bang on about in-house movements?

Think about it: the investment in tooling and manufacturing , not to mention design, will be large if the movement is to be truly novel. To be worthwhile, the end product has to be technically superior to the readily available offerings from Sellita or ETA and whether the watch snobs like it or not that is a very tall order.

There are several reasons why I don’t find Bremont watches appealing but the lack of in- house movement isn’t one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    So you lit the touch paper by asking an inflammatory question and are now trying to fan the flames using the comment above. Seems more like you're hoping it will descend into a thread full of Bremont haters rather than it actually happening just yet. I really like Bremont. I recognise that they have flaws and have made mistakes but also that they're a business and engineering company investing in the UK. That's a huge positive in the current climate.
    You will not find a bigger supporter of Bremont that myself. My initial post was a tongue in cheek dig at people who bring this up repeatedly and also a fond hope that Wayne will actually ask them. I have written to Bremont as well a couple of times to address this in some form as these allegations when repeatedly ad nauseum become the truth in some minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    More recently a Heuer reissue did something similar.
    Yeah my Heuer Autavia Chrono has the same 2.5 min markers. I seem to remember they released a new batch changing it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The watches are getting very expensive for what they are.Priced over £4000 seems too much for what they are

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

- I agree with this but they are trying to build a sustainable luxury business it has to be super aspirational that is how it worked for Rolex. So I do not hold it against them. Maybe the next time a TZer goes on a tour they should inform them of the virtues of the humble MX5!

Also, ironically, very un-English (remember understatement and dignity?) - Have you been living in the Uk for the last 10 years? . I think certain members of our Government would do well to take your advice!
    Last edited by paw3001; 5th September 2021 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I don't think that the in-house movement debacle was the biggest problem with the Wright Flyer, in fact the vast majority of watch buying public won't even know about the story. It's biggest problem, in my view, is a stainless steel watch from a relatively new and little know brand costing £17k. Somewhat oddly, the white gold versions (at over £30k) all sold out and are rarely ever seen on the pre-owned market but the stainless steel version struggled.
    That’s just a pricing issue and a company can put out any price they wish. If it sells than great. The White gold and rose gold sold. The steel struggled for the reasons you state, bloody expensive for a steel watch but you could also get a very good discount that made the package justifiable if your surname was Wright and you little the link to the Wright brothers!

I don’t see this as a design error as such as they were clearly focused on symmetry. The issue is that it totally useless for usability and fails on that count.

Therefore, you have a design that is successful for visual balance but fails fundamentally for what it is built to do. Not a great place to be for quality design.

The redesign is much better as I think we can all agree.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Think about it: the investment in tooling and manufacturing , not to mention design, will be large if the movement is to be truly novel. To be worthwhile, the end product has to be technically superior to the readily available offerings from Sellita or ETA and whether the watch snobs like it or not that is a very tall order.

There are several reasons why I don’t find Bremont watches appealing but the lack of in- house movement isn’t one of them!
    I don't, but Bremont do -- and then fail to deliver.

I like ETA, Seiko et al. but, rightly or wrongly, in-house seems to have some cachet or kudos -- hence Panerai's spurious and mendacious claims.

If it's no big deal then don't mention it (even as something to aspire to). If it is a big deal, deliver on it (and charge accordingly). Certain brands want to tart up a base ebauche, give it their own calibre name / number and say or at least suggest it's an in-house movement.

Give me a basic ETA, charge me a three figure sum and we're all happy. In fact, that's exactly what I want. Do NOT pass off a souped-up Sellita as "your" cal. OK-24/7 (or whatever) and charge me a four or five figure sum.

Fantastic Rev 🤣😁

Don't forget the Pampeano belt, Rev. Maybe even a pinky ring for good measure.

Disclosure: I own a Pampeano belt (but not a pinky ring or red trousers). Sad times

I've posted on the Bremontisti before. As well as the inevitable sports car, barn conversion and red trousers the following also apply:

Really yummy wife and a dog or two? Cricket or rugby but not football? Woodburning stove? Good shoes (Loake or Church's)?

Decent chap. Nice fellow.

Has his eye on his 80 year old dad's bi-metal Datejust but likes his Bremont. Might even be called Nick or Giles himself.

In a novel he would be a minor character. Not quite ballast but not terribly interesting. He might inadvertently make an important observation or provide some very light comic element, all unwittingly of course.
    You know the type. And you fancy his wife!

I've posted on the Bremontisti before. As well as the inevitable sports car, barn conversion and red trousers the following also apply:

You know the type. And you fancy his wife!
    FYI, Loake and Church’s aren’t really in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    FYI, Loake and Church’s aren’t really in the same league.
    Funnily enough both Bremont and Church's have a product called "Mach 3"

https://www.church-footwear.com/gb/e..._F_000000.html

£650 for the sort of thing Tories wear . . . well, when exactly? They looks like they were designed by someone who thinks he might once have seen a pair of trainers in the '80s.

Mind you bet they look good on a yummy mummy. But then, wouldn't we all?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    wow, how bad are they.

Church’s really lost their way when Prada acquired them.

£650 for the sort of thing Tories wear . . . well, when exactly? They looks like they were designed by someone who thinks he might once have seen a pair of trainers in the '80s.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

This thread is comedy gold

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t see this as a design error as such as they were clearly focused on symmetry. The issue is that it totally useless for usability and fails on that count.
    And that to me is a design fail. There are many areas where function may follow form but as a machine that displays time, this should be very much the opposite.

Master
    Wow good old TZ for a thread to spiral 😄

I’d be happy to try and arrange a tour if anyone is serious. I’d prefer it to be people that would potentially purchase rather than anyone that just wants to stir the negativity pot.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No negativity from me mate!
    Just a comment that in the early days, they didn’t get it right all the time.

For what it’s worth, I like the fact they still have a very direct link with their customers. I’ve met both brothers at a couple of Salon QP and they were charming, engaging and enthusiastic.

I just hope they sacked their sub dial designer 😂

Blog Entries

Prefer the Shanghai Monk. Do Bremont do a Shanghai?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I just hope they sacked their sub dial designer 
    They hadn't when they made my ex-Broadsword...

That’s the Pongos. Fortunately the RAF have far better dress sense.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Funny that ETA black bays are mildly sought after.

Bremont are certainly not for old man dressed in denim shorts, socks and sandals.

The White gold and rose gold sold.
    actually, the white gold sold well, the rose gold didn't.

If it's no big deal then don't mention it (even as something to aspire to). If it is a big deal, deliver on it (and charge accordingly).
    what a very bizarre point of view. There is a middle ground. Why can't it be a big deal, be something to aspire to and take its time coming to fruition. The problem with modern society is a lack of patience. How long does it typically take a watch manufacturer to develop their own movement? Rolex for instance?