closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A change in watch tastes

Master

A change in watch tastes

Well, somewhat of a change as they're still very much dive watches but...

For the last 10 years or so, I've collected nothing but dive watches as I just love the style. However when it came to Tunas and Doxas I would say that I actually quite strongly disliked them. Thought they were clunky awkward looking things.

All of a sudden I own 2 Tunas and I REALLY want Sub 300! I can't explain this complete 180, it's so weird.

Anyone else experienced this phenomenon with any particular styles?

I surprised myself by moving towards larger watches. I'd always dismissed anything over 40mm but after wearing a Mark18 for a while (40mm but wears bigger due to tall lugs and thin bezel) I went to a 42mm Seamaster then, amazingly, two 44mm Linde Werdelins! The LWs wear smaller than the dimensions suggest as they are essential a lug less design but they are on the limit for me size wise.

Since getting a BB58 things seem to be going back the other way now. It's perfect size and proportions made the 42mm Seamaster feel bloated so I replaced it with a Speedy. Even though the Speedy is 42mm it wears much smaller and the stepped case design makes it feel slim too which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

Anyone else experienced this phenomenon with any particular styles?
    I've had it all my life. Eventually I decided that (before death) the purpose of the game is to try as much variation as possible. Over the last couple of years I have been going off bezels. "Bezels are for people who pretend to have stuff to measure." And don't start me on chronos... tho I still like chronos. Ask me again next year.

I can steadfastly state that I will never, ever buy a watch with green on it, two tone or a California dial. Anything else is subject to change. I didn't care for blue straps at all and I'm typing with my PRS-68 on blue canvas, with 2 more in the post in 20 and 22mm for other watches. That's the beauty of this game, you never know.
    F.T.F.A.

A change in watch tastes

If I showed most of my collection to my 10 year younger self, there would be almost universal approval, as my tastes haven’t changed that much.

It has taken a while to appreciate the less conventionally styled divers such as my Tuna 300 and Sinn U1, both coming in the last year. I’m thinking about a Doxa 300 now, and I’ve always hated them!

I remember almost being sick in my mouth when I saw a square B&R for the first time, but they grew on me so much I eventually fell for the unique charm.

So stable tastes, but not necessarily blind to something new

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It's crazy.

Tonneau cases, brightly coloured dials and beads of rice bracelets have been on my hate list for years.

Yet, i'm literally about to post a wtb for a Doxa

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    It's crazy.

Tonneau cases, brightly coloured dials and beads of rice bracelets have been on my hate list for years.

Yet, i'm literally about to post a wtb for a Doxa
    I used to share the hate for beads of rice bracelets. Now pretty much all my sporty vintage watches are on one. They look pretty good on a Doxa too...

I’ve gone from large watches (sold a 44mm panerai )
    To buying smaller dress watchers . Recently bought a 36mm day date on leather and a JLC reverso too.

Craftsman
    I think this happens to us all. I started the hobby (some 12 years ago) obsessed with breitling and their chunky divers in particular. I listed after a superocean steelfish and a seawolf for a very long time.

Nowadays anything over 42mm (and sometimes less) doesn’t do anything for me despite having 8in wrists. 39-40mm is perfect for me.

I’m also now interested in neo-vintage pieces whereas a few years ago I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole

Quartz. Only ever really bought manual winders or automatics but sick of spending money on servicing. I'm really liking quartz and the associated lower ongoing maintenance costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Quartz. Only ever really bought manual winders or automatics but sick of spending money on servicing. I'm really liking quartz and the associated lower ongoing maintenance costs.
    I very much understand this.

My MM Tuna being quartz has me looking at my collection recently and adding up service costs.

NH35 and the likes are a 40 quid, complete replacement movement but my MM300 and Oris etc are an expense waiting to happen really.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    If I showed most of my collection to my 10 year younger self, there would be almost universal approval, as my tastes haven’t changed that much.

It has taken a while to appreciate the less conventionally styled divers such as my Tuna 300 and Sinn U1, both coming in the last year. I’m thinking about a Doxa 300 now, and I’ve always hated them!

I remember almost being sick in my mouth when I saw a square B&R for the first time, but they grew on me so much I eventually fell for the unique charm.

So stable tastes, but not necessarily blind to something new

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is my position at the moment. My core tastes haven’t changed much but I’m more open to things in the periphery of what I would have considered.

I have ongoing ‘taste battles’ with myself. Eg I want a field / pilots watch but find them boring once I have them on the wrist. I love the look of DLC but can’t deal with it being chipped off etc

Journeyman
    Yup. I’ve gone from not being interested in G-Shocks to having five of them. It started with a bog standard atomic square and has expanded to three atomic JDM models and a metal one. Seriously looking at a Frogman now. I’ve also grown to love eco-drives…The older I get, the less I want to spend on new stuff and the more I appreciate not having to track down someone to service them. With my Seikos and Rolex watches at least I know where to send them for service - with micro brands, less so.