closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Price gouging and profiteering everywhere

Price gouging and profiteering everywhere

The discussions about Rolex and PP price gouging by grey dealers and profiteers (or just lucky buyers) have been done to death, but it's starting to seem as if every time a watch is in short supply or out of stock, someone immediately sees a quick profit.

Two examples caught my eye today on the sales section of a French forum -

A Tissot Powermatic PRX80, a model which is out of stock everywhere, advertised for 850 Euros, no offers. List price is 650 Euros.

And a blue-dial Vacheron Constantin Overseas which the owner says he bought a month ago from the VC boutique and was told that anyone ordering one today could expect delivery in 2028. Asking price 32,000 Euros against a list price, which is what I imagine he paid, of 22,000.

Madness.

You heard of a brand called Ming?

Journeyman
    Is the wait list on a blue dial VC Overseas really 7 years?! That's ridiculous... I can see the watch becoming very desirable in the near future but currently I don't feel VC has the "hype status" compared to PP / AP / Rolex

Christ this stuff has been going on for years its nothing new, the forums have been full of brands or certain watches talked up to death its pretty obvious people have a vested interest in doing so. Simple solution is dont buy it, nobody is forcing anyone to do so. How many times is it quoted "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay" If someone wants to offer a PP or VC 5x the list price its only someone who is daft enough to pay that otherwise its just a load of hot air.

Blog Entries
    Emperors New Clothes, can be embarrassing... Thanks for the hot tip on the VC
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Everyone’s a watch tout, even seen it with LE G-Shocks. When a Seiko LE had a release date, by lunchtime it was sold out but there were loads on e-bay.

I remember counting Omega Silver Snoopy’s after they had been released and there were 23 on Chrono 24 and another 10 on e-bay on the same day. If only those 33 sellers had a crystal ball.

Smiths Caribbean. Just saying.

First one will be on eBay this weekend.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I don’t think the term price gouging can be applied for luxury goods. Absolutely valid for essential goods but not for luxury items.

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    You heard of a brand called Ming?
    And very aptly named IMO.

Master
    This thread isn't for me...the last two watches i bought and sold i lost money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Smiths Caribbean. Just saying.

First one will be on eBay this weekend.
    Did the yellow ones not immediately sell out when they went up for sale? So this is going the way of the Everest watch then.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 25807st View Post
    Is the wait list on a blue dial VC Overseas really 7 years?! That's ridiculous... I can see the watch becoming very desirable in the near future but currently I don't feel VC has the "hype status" compared to PP / AP / Rolex
    No it is not a 7 year status
    No VC is not a hype brand, the overseas is not a Hype watch yet, the blue Gen 1, Gen 2 & Gen 3 are part of the blue dial hype. Very unlikely you'll be able to walk in and pick up the normal overseas on the day due to a) amount made b) Covid right now, though it can be done if you time it right.

Honestly social media BS is pumping the the amount of s*** out there by people who don't know the brand or that the overseas not new is a joke right now. The brown dial overseas could be bought for 11/13k when it came out, similar to the hulk, no one wanted it. Now it is listed for £27k+ because its discontinued.

Yes VC Overseas have hype status, nothing can compete with that.