closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Tudor Marine Nationale Pelagos

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Not exactly apples for apples but think I'll stick with my Scurfa M.S.21 for now. A better size for me at 40mm, more flexibility with the drilled lugs.....and only 100 of them in this particular configuration :0)

For the love of god get that on some kind of a NATO (even though I hate ‘em!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Hmm. I’ve had a CWC diver for 6 months now, and the fixed bar thing - well, let’s just say being limited to a NATO means it hardly ever gets worn. I always think a NATO looks great in front-on pics, but in daily use they’re a bit camping shop!
    I don’t think this release bears even a passing resemblance to the old MN Tudor divers and whilst £3k in the crazy world of watches is apparently a bargain, it all smacks of Walter Mitty marketing BS to me. Let’s face it in reality the military wear g shocks! (and no doubt these will be saved for evenings down the pub or kept for best)
    Totally agree, I feel that's its quirkiness limits its practicality.

I have had a bit of a think on this release, and I have to say I am delighted that it has fixed bars.
    It is totally secure, and completely denies the owner the ability to dress it up as man jewellery with a bracelet.
    Remember, all you need here is a pull through strap, so all sorts of things are on the table, not just nylon NATOs.
    You could use rubber, Perlon, leather, canvas, elastic (like original MN straps) various velcro options or plenty of other fabrics (SteveO?), plus, there's no reason why it cannot be tapered either side to give it a more traditional look.
    One thing I notice is that the bezel also has a much courser texture than the original Pelagos, which is also a bonus.
    I just hope I manage to get a 21.
    D

The biggest thing that bothers me about this watch is Tudor haven't 'fixed' the dial colour. I've always felt it being a little off on the Pelagos and it seems the same shade here. Shame.

Craftsman
    For the love of god get that on some kind of a NATO (even though I hate ‘em!)

Was my go-to watch for sea (and pool) use during the summer so rubber made a lot more sense. Also sits too high for my tastes on a single piece, although I have converted at least one NATO to a 2 piece specifically for this watch.

If that NATO is as brown as it looks in the photo then I think you need to do some strap re-thinking yourself..... although I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's just the lighting on a grey strap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The biggest thing that bothers me about this watch is Tudor haven't 'fixed' the dial colour. I've always felt it being a little off on the Pelagos and it seems the same shade here. Shame.
    Dial & bezel look a darker / deeper blue to me?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I like this shade of blue. By and large not a fan of blue dials but I like the Pelagos blue:-)
    On the whole the watch has kind of grown on me but not in a rush for a 21. A 22 will be perfectly fine.
    I too like the idea of fixed bars- not for the same reasons as Sweets but it adds little bit of variety and would force me to use pass through straps which I have resisted so far.
    Have been encouraged by some real world pics and on the whole I think it is a good release.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I like this shade of blue. By and large not a fan of blue dials but I like the Pelagos blue:-)
    On the whole the watch has kind of grown on me but not in a rush for a 21. A 22 will be perfectly fine.
    I too like the idea of fixed bars- not for the same reasons as Sweets but it adds little bit of variety and would force me to use pass through straps which I have resisted so far.
    Have been encouraged by some real world pics and on the whole I think it is a good release.
    Fair - honestly I'd just buy a normal Pelagos!

Master
    Somewhat intrigued by this and registered interest with my nearest AD (which had no details on when it would be available to sell). Having owned a Pelagos it was the thick slab sides that put me off and this addresses this. I'm not a fan of the included straps, but have a box full of various nato and single pass straps so that wouldn't worry me. If this were a black dial though, I'd be much more enthusiastic personally as the no-date dial and slimmer profile really does it for me. It wouldn't be hard to imagine a non-MN variant to arrive later on with the black dial/bezel combo, depending on how this sells.

Ant

This pic shows it rather well:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This pic shows it rather well:

It looks great. A real toolwatch, love the fixed lugs and legibility, but I suspect it’s so well ‘in proportion’ that its probable hugeness is difficult to appreciate in photos, and will only be apparent ‘in the flesh’:

I mean, 52mm L to L ?! It’s a monster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    It looks great. A real toolwatch, love the fixed lugs and legibility, but I suspect it’s so well ‘in proportion’ that its probable hugeness is difficult to appreciate in photos, and will only be apparent ‘in the flesh’:

I mean, 52mm L to L ?! It’s a monster.
    Just took an idle moment to do a visualisation .
    The red hatching is 52mm L to L against a CWC (which is no dainty thing itself!)

My A-13A is 52mm lug to lug, it's not monstrous in the slightest

Seven inch wrist and above will carry this off absolutely fine IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am collecting mine Monday afternoon.

7.25inch flat wrist so will post up some real world shots once I get it home from the AD. Will be having a few beers with the guys who pulled out all the stops to get me the watch first!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post

7.25inch flat wrist so will post up some real world shots once I get it home from the AD. Will be having a few beers with the guys who pulled out all the stops to get me the watch first!
    Prestons in Wilmslow per chance, given your Cheshire location?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Prestons in Wilmslow per chance, given your Cheshire location?
    Goldsmiths actually, never much luck with Rolex but always come good on Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My A-13A is 52mm lug to lug, it's not monstrous in the slightest
    I came across this comparison shot which I found quite interesting so thought I would share.

Master
    Goldsmiths actually, never much luck with Rolex but always come good on Tudor.
    Nice one, and congrats

Congrats. The shop where I’m second has one coming in tomorrow but said the guy wasn’t sure so if he doesn’t buy they’ll give me a call after. Would be nice to get a 21 rather than 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Seven inch wrist and above will carry this off absolutely fine IMO.

I have 7 inch wrists and I tried a titanium Pelagos on recently and it was no problem size wise (although I would prefer a slimmer case).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Hands on here.

Mentions a 50mm lug to lug which is a bit better. Wonder if the 42mm includes the decent overhang of the bezel
    I'm sure it's 52mm. Brent only measured it looking from above.

If you don’t bond I will happily help to unburden you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new definitely looks longer in the pic above right enough

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'm sure it's 52mm. Brent only measured it looking from above.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Congrats. The shop where I’m second has one coming in tomorrow but said the guy wasn’t sure so if he doesn’t buy they’ll give me a call after. Would be nice to get a 21 rather than 22.
    Fingers crossed for you, the styling is quite divisive so if he is non WIS you might be in luck.

MN21 numbers in circulation going forward will be very limited which might have an effect on future desirability, you never know with Tudor though, not the same cachet as it's parent.

Master
    I like it but too large for me. I wonder if this will drive interest in fixed bar divers and extend the market. Might be to CWC's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    If you don’t bond I will happily help to unburden you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll be in the queue too. Looks like quite the catch to me.

Journeyman
    It’s a good looking watch

Craftsman
    I’m a bit fan of the original blue pelagos but I’d need to see this in the flesh, it looks great in pics

If it had been 40mm, it would have been perfect for me as I found the standard Pelagos a bit big for my liking.

People over on wus and Reddit wailing about fixed spring bars constantly are doing my nut in.

How can spring bars be fixed? Especially when it’s essentially just the case (like the PRS40).

Fixed bars yes, fixed spring bars no!

People seem so angry that Tudor have made a tool watch rather than the exact thing they want (which seems to be a 40mm sub)

Anyway end of rant.

I like it. All my watches end up on a nato anyway and it can’t be any bigger than my Sinn UX.

And as it’ll be hard to get until well into next year I’ve got time to save. (Or buy a 58)
    Last edited by acg; 11th November 2021 at 22:40.

The blue rules it out for me - never get on with blue dials!.

This aside - great re-association. No major watch manufacturer will ever pander to forum needs/wants/rants - too small a part of the customer base.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    People over on wus and Reddit wailing about fixed spring bars constantly are doing my nut in.

How can spring bars be fixed? Especially when it’s essentially just the case (like the PRS40).

Fixed bars yes, fixed spring bars no!

People seem so angry that Tudor have made a tool watch rather than the exact thing they want (which seems to be a 40mm sub)

Anyway end of rant.

I like it. All my watches end up on a nato anyway and it can’t be any bigger than my Sinn UX.

And as it’ll be hard to get until we’ll into next year I’ve got time to save. (Or buy a 58)
    I agree with all of this. It’s a proper tool watch and that’s to be shouted about. Wait a year and it will be easy to get hold of. Result.

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post

Was my go-to watch for sea (and pool) use during the summer so rubber made a lot more sense. Also sits too high for my tastes on a single piece, although I have converted at least one NATO to a 2 piece specifically for this watch.

If that NATO is as brown as it looks in the photo then I think you need to do some strap re-thinking yourself..... although I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's just the lighting on a grey strap
    Oh no, it’s brown! - mind you at last count I have 21 nato straps to choose from so it gets swapped around - although it tends to live on the grey toxic nato that came supplied with the watch

Hmm. I’ve had a CWC diver for 6 months now, and the fixed bar thing - well, let’s just say being limited to a NATO means it hardly ever gets worn. I always think a NATO looks great in front-on pics, but in daily use they’re a bit camping shop!
    I don’t think this release bears even a passing resemblance to the old MN Tudor divers and whilst £3k in the crazy world of watches is apparently a bargain, it all smacks of Walter Mitty marketing BS to me. Let’s face it in reality the military wear g shocks! (and no doubt these will be saved for evenings down the pub or kept for best)
    Regarding the NATO strap - you can get an Erika's Original strap for fixed bars at no extra cost compared to the regular EO. There are two versions for fixed bars - one that has a removable screw to allow the strap to slip through and one called "the old style for fixed bars" which is shown in the photo. It works great, is supremely comfortable and allows the case back to sit against the wrist so the watch wears slimmer.

As for the new Tudor, I'll stick with my blue 58. It is a better size for me and I'm not a fan of titanium anyway.

EO old style for fixed bars

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Regarding the NATO strap - you can get an Erika's Original strap for fixed bars at no extra cost compared to the regular EO. There are two versions for fixed bars - one that has a removable screw to allow the strap to slip through and one called "the old style for fixed bars" which is shown in the photo. It works great, is supremely comfortable and allows the case back to sit against the wrist so the watch wears slimmer.

As for the new Tudor, I'll stick with my blue 58. It is a better size for me and I'm not a fan of titanium anyway.

EO old style for fixed bars

Love that look - as something of a cheapskate (well, with regard to the pricing of elastic! :) ) I achieved the similar effect with a cheapie MN and a bit of needle work... just unpick one end... and 2 mins to re-sew. As you say, makes the watch fantastically snug to the wrist!

Looking at the Erika, what, other than friction, is in place to stop the open end unthreading?

And there are plenty of other suppliers who will do you an open-ended elastic strap without the cost of Erika, which can use a tri-slide to secure, or a simple loop like the original straps.
    I like Erika's straps, but I have a real problem with her claims of originality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I didn't know this - I prefer EO straps (and the like) to NATO's so this makes the MN an option for me after all. I need to see if I can get used to the minute markers before committing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The blue rules it out for me - never get on with blue dials!.

This aside - great re-association. No major watch manufacturer will ever pander to forum needs/wants/rants - too small a part of the customer base.
    Speedy Tuesday?

Colour comparison.

Personally I prefer the look of the FXD but each to their own.

Love the simplification of the chapter ring. For me it was a bit odd on the OG Pelagos - for a tool watch, it seemed odd to have a purely cosmetic flair in it. I really like this watch.

Do we know whether its Ti or SS yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Love the simplification of the chapter ring. For me it was a bit odd on the OG Pelagos - for a tool watch, it seemed odd to have a purely cosmetic flair in it. I really like this watch.

Do we know whether its Ti or SS yet?
    It is Titanium. At £2920 it's a well priced watch given COSC certification, two straps and quality of the finish.

As these become more readily available next year I think it will be a very popular model.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    ...No major watch manufacturer will ever pander to forum needs/wants/rants - too small a part of the customer base.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Speedy Tuesday?
    A few Panerais spring to mind...
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    And there are plenty of other suppliers who will do you an open-ended elastic strap without the cost of Erika, which can use a tri-slide to secure, or a simple loop like the original straps.
    I like Erika's straps, but I have a real problem with her claims of originality.
    Could you signpost a couple of them, please?

2021 Tudor Marine Nationale Pelagos

Zero allocation of the '21' for Vietnam. Good job I didn't want one... ... but now I do, because I can't! Oh Rolex what have you done to us all?
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 12th November 2021 at 15:05.

Love that look - as something of a cheapskate (well, with regard to the pricing of elastic! :) ) I achieved the similar effect with a cheapie MN and a bit of needle work... just unpick one end... and 2 mins to re-sew. As you say, makes the watch fantastically snug to the wrist!
    Good job, looks like you configured yours exactly the same way. :) I wish I could sew properly, it's a handy skill. I have to visit youtube just to re-attach a button.

Looking at the Erika, what, other than friction, is in place to stop the open end unthreading?
    Friction works fine on the EO, the material is fairly thick and stiff and doesn't come loose easily. The strap does come with an additional metal loop which is polished and did not match my other metal pieces so I initially did not use it. I've since acquired some gray Scotchbrite pads and scuffed the outer portion of the loops to a dull finish. They are installed as shown in the photo.

I don't think Erika still makes this strap for fixed bars. I emailed her last week and she said that she only now does the version with a captive screw through the strap (which I think is a mistake). Maybe she'll reconsider if she gets enough requests?

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I don't think Erika still makes this strap for fixed bars. I emailed her last week and she said that she only now does the version with a captive screw through the strap (which I think is a mistake). Maybe she'll reconsider if she gets enough requests?

I sent an email requesting the fixed bar version for my FXD, waiting on a response but she will probably offer the screw version.

I bought one as recently as April 2020. I ordered and then sent an email referencing the order number and asked for it to be configured as "old style for fixed bars". It was at my house less than two weeks later, pretty quick for a custom order during normal times and exceptional for an overseas order during the early COVID days when a lot of shops were shuttered.

I believe she has them made in Bulgaria now so perhaps they no longer make the old style. That would be a shame.