closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer and Smiths Everest owners

Rolex Explorer and Smiths Everest owners

So I’ve been coming across this more lately, people already owning a Rolex explorer yet still lusting after a smiths Everest or a buying one after already owning the explorer (various references). Anyone on here who owns an explorer but wants or has the Everest too? And if so what’s some of the reasons for owning both? Wanting a daily as to not damage the Rolex?

Enjoy wearing both.

Practically, I wear the Smiths when I expect to be in a higher impact activity or risk area simply because it would cost me less to fix it or replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And of course there will be those who, through trying the Everest, will now want a real Explorer (a 1016 even).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's not just explorers!

If you're not wearing an Explorer for fear of damaging it then you're in the wrong hobby, IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

I have both too (114270). I probably wear them equally. The smiths on the NDC is an absolute joy on the wrist.

Nothing really determines why I wear each one, just the mood I'm in

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    I have both no pictures due to security issues” Social Security “ My PRS25 is a white faced watch so I wear it as a summer / spring watc on a leather strap. My 114270 is more Autumn Winter. I tried the 114270 on two leather straps but the sharp case edges just mashed the strap, so it resides on its bracelet, which in many ways it looks best

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    And of course there will be those who, through trying the Everest, will now want a real Explorer (a 1016 even).
    We lowly 114270/ 214270 / 14270 boys can but dream :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If you're not wearing an Explorer for fear of damaging it then you're in the wrong hobby, IMHO.
    I can only agree Bob.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    I own a 39mm Mk2 Explorer, an Everest and for goldilocks size a PRS 1.

I’ve never put the Explorer on a NATO but I’ve never worn any of my other watches on anything but a NATO.

If I was to move any on it would be the Explorer - it’s the most dressy of my watches and I wear it less and less.

Apprentice

Yes, I have both as well!

Greetings! Yes, I first had the 36mm Rolex Explorer, and then bought a Smiths Everest. Enjoy both, but wear the Smiths more frequently. The Everest has more of the 1016 vibe, and I can't afford a 1016 -- nor would I really wear it regularly. The Everest is a watch I can happily wear every day -- probably what the 1016 was like 60 years ago. This type of simple, no-date, sturdy, elegant, easy-to-read, moderate-sized watch is my jam.

Journeyman
    I currently own a Rolex Explorer 124270 and want to add the White Smiths Everest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have an Explorer 114270 and tried the Everest for the 1016 vibe too though it didn't work for me sadly. The hand proportion just looked wrong with the short hour hand. I wish the lume was a strong white as opposed to the slightly greenish lume which for me didn't help me fall for the watch. The milky ring on the sapphire was another detail that didn't sit comfortably. Overall its a great value piece but these details could easily be sorted in future variants. That was just may experience. Comparing the Everest against a Rolex Explorer is a high bar after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post

Comparing the Everest against a Rolex Explorer is a high bar after all.
    When you are really familiar with the 1016 there are many details where the Everest fails. I only have the Expedition so I can only speak about the case. To me it feels more like a 60s Tudor* rather than a Rolex. I only bought it for the dial.. so the oyster-ish case and bracelet are just welcome extras.

If anyone is looking for the 1016 feeling they will be disappointed. Silly little details like, between the lugs on the 1016, the edge of the bezel, overhangs the case whereas on the Everest it is flush. I can give lots of examples like that.

The best way to enjoy the Everest is to put it on the wrist and see how it feels a couple of months down the road. When you like it for what it is any similarities to the crown are gifts. There are many people out there who thought they would like an Explorer 1 but after buying one they find it too bland and swiftly move it on. The biggest advantage for me is that the Everest is a dependable, (relatively) well made, 100 meter watch... inspired by one of the best designs ever.

* I have seen many slightly odd Tudor Oyster cases from the period

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    When you are really familiar with the 1016 there are many details where the Everest fails. I only have the Expedition so I can only speak about the case. To me it feels more like a 60s Tudor* rather than a Rolex. I only bought it for the dial.. so the oyster-ish case and bracelet are just welcome extras.

If anyone is looking for the 1016 feeling they will be disappointed. Silly little details like, between the lugs on the 1016, the edge of the bezel, overhangs the case whereas on the Everest it is flush. I can give lots of examples like that.

The best way to enjoy the Everest is to put it on the wrist and see how it feels a couple of months down the road. When you like it for what it is any similarities to the crown are gifts. There are many people out there who thought they would like an Explorer 1 but after buying one they find it too bland and swiftly move it on. The biggest advantage for me is that the Everest is a dependable, (relatively) well made, 100 meter watch... inspired by one of the best designs ever.

* I have seen many slightly odd Tudor Oyster cases from the period
    That the Everest doesn't slavishly follow the 1016 doesn't seem like a downside to me. Personally, I've always found that overhang, found on most of the smaller sports Rolex and Tudor, slightly disappointing. Likewise, the unfinished back on the 1016 always feels, well, unfinished. If there's one thing I've learned from the whole watch thing is that unless you can reflexively point at some specific flaw, then the comparative excellence of two similar watches tends to be as much about the community as the watch. I'd love to see someone go over a recent Timefactors watch and a classic 1016 with a magnifying glass and compare the two properly, but these days I can't be bothered to do it myself. One thing I can be sure of, I've definitely had more pleasure from Eddies offerings than any of the Rolex I own and, beyond the movement, the only time I have owned both and definitively preferred an original to a Timefactors is the PRS 53 and the Omega Fat Arrow.

As for odd Tudor cases:

Yup!
    Last edited by M4tt; 4th September 2021 at 16:24.

Another slightly unusual vintage Tudor Oyster.

And another...
    https://tinyurl.com/vue8c9fd
    Last edited by abraxas; 5th September 2021 at 00:38.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    And here are my standard versions:

in Auto and manual

Like the Rolex 6098, both are a two piece case.

Journeyman
    I had the 36mm Everest and my 1972 1016 together last Autumn. I came to the conclusion that as nice as the Everest was, I should really be wearing the 1016 otherwise what was the point of owning it. I moved the Smiths along earlier this year in px for a Tuna.

Craftsman
    I definitely get your point that the Everest is a different in many ways from the explorer. I guess I felt It has less of a 1016 vibe than I was looking for In a homage to that model. I also have a prs29a the acrylic model and I would rate that piece IMHO as nicer than my Smiths W10 it is a homage too. I guess I just wanted more mojo from the Everest but I think I may have found the homage to the 1016 I was looking for in the rare Incipio offering I have heading in.

Master
    I have both but I have the 39mm explorer so there is a little difference in size. I like both and the everest price makes it an easy add compared with many other watches. I wear the Explorer more for special occasions as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it everyday due to the risk of damage, theft, loss.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

First time posting pictures - hopefully this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I have both but I have the 39mm explorer so there is a little difference in size. I like both and the everest price makes it an easy add compared with many other watches. I wear the Explorer more for special occasions as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it everyday due to the risk of damage, theft, loss.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Here are pics I took a while ago for comparison IMG_4777.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg

Craftsman
    IMG_4781.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Here are pics I took a while ago for comparison IMG_4777.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg

I recognise that one in the middle….

Craftsman
    Yes, and thanks again TG for letting me try your domed crystal modded Everest. It was great to see the comparison.

Craftsman
    I’m now getting the hang of Tapatalk for posting pics but still need to sort out the picture resolution quality.

Rolex Explorer and Smiths Everest owners

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very interesting to read all the different answers. I do the same with pieces not as expensive as a Rolex, don’t wear them
    in certain situations as to not scuff them up etc so I can understand the thought process. I don’t see myself ever dropping the money on a Rolex/luxury watch. It’s just not in my budget. We are all at different levels in terms of income etc and the money I currently spend on watches is to me also a little bit of a luxury.

Sometimes I’ll see someone make a comment about a 1000 pound watch and refer to it as their beater watch, a beater watch for me would be something under maybe 100 pounds. I have two watches that I’d refer to as beater watches, one was a cheap quartz off Amazon for a tenner and the other was the steeldive 1970 which I paid around 60 pounds for.

But back on topic, I’ve not handled a modern explorer or a vintage explorer so can’t compare it to the smiths but I can say that the smiths brings me a lot of joy. I’ve sold a couple of pieces that had a similar shape/size because the smiths made them redundant. Hopefully I’ll get to have a hands on with a 1016 one day, I’m sure I’d also fall in love with it. I love to read the history and to research various vintage models but I’ll never own one and I’m fine with that.
    Last edited by theflyingfisherman; 9th October 2021 at 05:22.