closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 300 166.024

Seamaster 300 166.024

I got my bi weekly Watchfinder sales promotion email today and while flicking through I came to the Seamaster 300 166.024, with that I nearly fell off my perch. Looking at their full stock list the watches appeared to be Watchco style watches, not original issue, and I am guessing the dates they were displaying on the website were the date of manufacture of the movement.
    But the prices listed for the 4 or 5 they had in stock really surprised me -£8k.

Surely somewhere I have made a mistake and need educating…..

Rebuilds using new parts, referred to as Watchco watches as they used to do them should be no more than £3k max for the date version 166.024, perhaps a few hundred extra if a decent bracelet is included. The date rebuilds were always prone to issues with the crown.

The 165.024 rebuilds (no date) were always more popular and they are probably around £3.5k these days.

Of course originals of both are at least double in price, if not more. I have owned three rebuilds and one original over the years.

Grand Master
    I’ll echo the above comments. The date versions are OK provided the crown and stem have been fitted very carefully, very little margin for error with cutting the stem. I prefer the non-quickset date version cal 562.

I built two of these in 2015 and with hindsight I wish I’d bought the parts to built a few more when they were freely available. Nice watch at under £2k........definitely not £8k!

Seamaster 300 166.024

Madness, and infuriating. I built one and sold it (with an original 1171 bracelet) for about £1250 a few years back now. Ah well.
    I also agree with the comments about getting the crown stem length right, I seem to recall the quickset date was a a push/pull operation.
    Lovely watch but as stated above, the value vs the sum of the parts seems wildly divergent. Mind you, that’s true across the whole watch industry IMHO….

T.G.

I built mine (actually a watchmaker did the work) for about $1800 including service and assembly in 2012. I still have and wear it occasionally.

Master
    I got mine of EBay and is by far my favourite diver.
    Date works as it should and I love the black disk that helps with the blending on the overall colour scheme.
    Now that parts are not easily available anymore prices seem to be edging upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an original from SC earlier this year for a hell of a lot less than that (it was a great price)
    I love the thing. I would not pay that money for a watchco version though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Rebuilds using new parts, referred to as Watchco watches as they used to do them should be no more than £3k max for the date version 166.024, perhaps a few hundred extra if a decent bracelet is included. The date rebuilds were always prone to issues with the crown.

The 165.024 rebuilds (no date) were always more popular and they are probably around £3.5k these days.

Of course originals of both are at least double in price, if not more. I have owned three rebuilds and one original over the years.
    Watchco Seamasters is a topic that comes up from time to time and the 'problems' remain the same (as with other watches/brands) - what is "original"?

Is 'original' an untouched watch with the dial, hands, date ring, bezel, crown, movement and case etc. as when originally assembled by Omega or is it a refurbished watch using genuine parts and with the original movement...if so which parts would it be acceptable to replace and the watch retain its 'original' identity?

I have a 166.024 which I bought from the USA about 15 years ago. It came with an Omega receipt for a full service which included the usual replacement items (new hands etc). I haven't requested an extract from Omega's archives which would tell me whether the movement was originally fitted in a 166.024 or not, but based on my own research the movement serial number is in the appropriate range for the watch. It looks new and so could be construed to be a Watchco item...but I can't tell without an extract from Omega.

I'm happy with the watch whether it is 'original' or not - it looks great and even the date function works properly
    Last edited by Stanford; 2nd September 2021 at 14:16. Reason: Can't do maths

Master
    If anyone is interested I wrote a review in my blog:

https://www.speedychronos.com/single...-money-can-buy

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post

It’s a good write up. Thanks

Great read, thanks
    It is a lovely watch, even the Watchco version and Eddie’s homage is one of my favorite Timefactors watch.

An enjoyable read - thank you.

I suppose the original point of the thread that I did not make very well is that Watchfinder do not appear to be differentiate between a “Watchco type” 300 and an original in there listing or pricing, again this is probably a lack of knowledge on my part.
    I bought a watchco from TZ-UK S.C. which I paid top price for 4 years ago and am surprised and perhaps saddened how the market has moved on. (Saddened - because most of the watches I would like are now out of reach)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I built mine (actually a watchmaker did the work) for about $1800 including service and assembly in 2012. I still have and wear it occasionally.

That’s a beauty. If you ever get tired of it…please let me know. ;)

Love mine. I agree with the article which I enjoyed, great vintage watch. Perfect size/proportions. Of I were Omega I would resurrect this model as or was. Probably be a waiting list.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk