closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SMART Digital Astro Telescopes ... New Kids On The Block for DEEP SKY Imaging

SMART Digital Astro Telescopes ... New Kids On The Block for DEEP SKY Imaging

The new 'SMART' astronomical telescopes are almost totally automatic 'GO TO' "deep sky", digital imaging instruments. They rely on automatic 'in telescope electronics' digital stacking of hundreds of faint 'deep sky' exposures to create good quality astro phenomena images - and all achieved with minimum user effort. The more images stacked, the better the final image. Smart phones and tablets are used via their apps to remotely control the smart digital telescopes, locate the astro objects, and observe the developing digital astro images.

The new digital scopes are not so proficient with lunar and planetary imaging; 'deep sky astro phenomena' are their imaging speciality. Lunar and planetary imaging is better achieved using regular smaller aperture longer focal length conventional astro telescopes which have wider fields of view.

Some fainter deep sky astro phenomena can take 60 minutes or more to 'evolve' using smart digital 'scopes. Imaging the same faint astro objects using conventional astro telescopes (including processing) could take considerably longer. The very faintest deep sky astro phenomena can require hours of conventional imaging spread over several nights - not everyone's cuppa - and 'off-putting' for many budding 'deep sky' astronomers.

On the astronomy forums, opinions vary regarding the 'new kids on the block'. Many 'old school' astro imagers have dismissed the new digital 'scopes claiming their images can never match the quality of established astro imaging techniques. However, the new digital 'scopes can produce excellent 'deep sky' images and unlike conventional 'scopes, urban bright light pollution is no barrier to their use. SMART astro telescopes' image output quality will undoubtedly improve ... in the same way as early digital camera technology improved and gradually 'won over' both professional and amateur photographers.

The Vaonis Stellina, and the Unistellar eVscope, have been the two main contenders in the new SMART digital telescopes arena. Vaonis has recently announced that its cheaper but not quite so sophisticated Vespera model will be available next year for those on a budget. Unistellar's upgraded Equinox model is available now … but the older eVoscope model is still worth buying especially when available secondhand. Hiuni is another similarly 'crowd-funded' SMART digital astro telescope manufacturer but their ’scope is still in the development stage. Using the Vaonis and Unistellar SMART ’scopes, many deep sky astro objects can be imaged stacked and proessed in just a few minutes ... and set-up time compared to conventional astro imaging hardware is relatively short. By virtue of their relatively compact design, minimum on site assembly time, and almost totally auto-everything operation, SMART’ astro digital scopes are even more 'grab and go' than regular lightweight astro travelling telescopes. The smart ‘scopes ‘alt-az’ mounts' control systems include field de-rotators enabling long exposures.

Another advantage of using SMART digital imaging 'scopes is the fact that up to 20 observers can 'tune in’ with their own phones / tablets thus enabling group study of deep sky astro objects invisible to the naked eye. The controller’s (owner's) smart phone / tablet is used to set the search parameters or click onto an astro object listed in the 'scope's digital index. The co-observers cannot set the search parameters ... but they can suggest suitable deep sky targets to the controller / 'scope owner.

Thus for the first time, rookie astronomers have the means to observe deep sky astro phenomena via digital live view and without the usual distractions e.g. 'scope image not maintaining focus or images being too faint to actually see or too complicated to image process. The SMART digital imaging 'scopes have the capability to revolutionise star parties and bring real time deep sky observation to the general public ... including children. Using their smart phones co-observers initially see just a faint outline of the chosen astro deep sky astro object … but then as if by magic, auto-stacking and auto digital processing gradually produce a clear image which ‘evolves' onto their smart phone screens.

My astronomy club's star parties have been postponed during the Covid emergency but we're planning our first event this year in November. I'm giving serious thought to acquiring a 'SMART' digital astro 'scope - but a secondhand instrument - not new. As with all digital devices /cameras, whatever is purchased new will likely be obsolete within 12 to 18 months. I can imagine both the parents’ and children’s “WOW” exclamations as they see e.g the ‘horse head’ and 'crab’ nebulas fo the first time. Images might not be quite as high resolution as those photographed with conventional ’scopes … but they are not far short … and they are achieved more easily and at less cost and effort. Some 'old school' astronomers claim that SMART digital telescopes are too expensive ... but their astro--imaging hardware likely cost a lot more £$€.

Many 'old school' astro photographers are very 'naysaying' about the new digital imaging SMART telescopes - but one thing's for sure - the 'new kids on the block' are truly 'grab and go' ... and can be astro-imaging within a few minutes ... whereas conventional kit, laden with cables, massive tripods, and requiring a chair and desk for the laptop, can be very burdensome, difficult to transport, and time consuming to acclimate (reach ambient temperature) - all dissuading to impatient rookie deep sky observers.

Star parties now have the potential to be more fun and exciting. SMART astro imaging 'scopes can bring the delights of the astronomical deep night sky observing to many more observers … especially the more casual family attendees at star parties. Currently, the necessary apps are only Android and IOS compatible - but software is being developed for use with laptop and desktop computers. SMART digital telescopes are important astrophysics educational tools and could encourage children to follow in the footsteps of Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

Another advantage of the fully automatic SMART digital astro telescopes is that an observer(s) can sit indoors in the comfort of their own home whilst observing ... with the 'scope "doing its thing" in the back yard or even on the roof. Furthermore, unlike conventional 'scopes, nearly all city light pollution is 'filtered out' ... it's now possible to observe the heavens from anywhere in Las Vegas ... one of the world's most light polluted cities.

Most camera and lens manufactures including conventional astro 'scope designers/manufacturers appear to have been far too slow to recognise the potential market for the new digital astro imaging telescopes.

Nikon have recognised the 'scopes sales potential and have recently 'teamed up' with Unistellar to offer lens expertise. Nikon are established telescope designers / manufacturers so likely have much to offer. Unistellar 'scopes are refractors - whereas Vaonis' digital telescopes are mirror lens designs.

Look forward to reading some of the forum astronomers' opinions ... For more information / opinions please consider a search on the Cloudy Nights' forums ... or Google Vaonis and Unistellar.

Thanks for reading and I hope the foregoing might stir up some interest.

BW

dunk

https://vaonis.com

https://unistellaroptics.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znAhp0Upanw
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

At some point I'm going to get into astrophotography. I live on the edge of London so it's been pointless until now. I have taken pictures of andromeda and orion nebula from my bedroom window with my camera and decent lenses, but they are not great.

These look like a nice entry level way into that world. However, the quality of the images is clearly not as good as you see from proficient photographers on the forums that have active astro image sections.

Thanks for sharing I've not seen these and they might just be what I need until I move somewhere where a bigger investment is worthwhile.

I love astronomy and often wander into the garden to watch the ISS fly past, or view the Starlink satellites. I also love photography but have always assumed that any kind of reasonable astrophotography setup would be prohibitively expensive.

Clicking your links shows fascinating equipment but solidifies my view that it's prohibitively expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    I love astronomy and often wander into the garden to watch the ISS fly past, or view the Starlink satellites. I also love photography but have always assumed that any kind of reasonable astrophotography setup would be prohibitively expensive.

Clicking your links shows fascinating equipment but solidifies my view that it's prohibitively expensive!
    I regard these smart scopes as teaching instruments by virtue of the fact up to 20 co-observers can use their smart phones to see the images ... and download them later onto their computers. They are not cheap but if I buy a s/h smart telescope for say £1500 (or less) , I know it'll give me more than £1500 value over the next 5 years .. especially at star parties. Ade Ashford's and Paul Money's reviews are interesting reading ... both very experienced telescope reviewers

https://astronomynow.com/2020/08/23/...-of-telescope/. ... 2 days ago I found three s/h examples listed for c.£1500 or less ... eBay and UK Astro 'Buy & Sell'

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/r...tation-review/

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    I love astronomy and often wander into the garden to watch the ISS fly past, or view the Starlink satellites.
    Have a look at this:

https://youtu.be/9cgIVWVvBdQ

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.