closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Strange this concept of supplier.
    In reality all of our gas is supplied by the National Grid the other companies just bill us for it, hoping they can make money by buying forward or whatever clever stuff they can do on the markets until it goes tits up.
    Ridiculous really (or is it just me?).
    No, not just you, it is indeed loopy. The same gas whoever you pay, and people are suffering for it now.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just to update my situation. I was in the switching process to EDF when Igloo went under.
    I've successfully switched and had an email today from Igloo advising my credit with them will be in my bank within 7 days.
    Based on my experience not the long winded drawn out battle to get my money back I was anticipating !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

How does the price of gas/electricity affect the standing charges, they seem to be jumping up as well

My overnight rate that I use to charge my EV has trebled from 5p to 15p per Kw at this weeks contract renewal time

My day rate has jumped from 15p to 25per Kw

Not a small percentage hike is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    My overnight rate that I use to charge my EV has trebled from 5p to 15p per Kw at this weeks contract renewal time

My day rate has jumped from 15p to 25per Kw

Not a small percentage hike is it?
    If you don’t mind me asking who are you with and what tariff is it?
    I’ve just looked on Octopus at their go faster tariff and it’s showing as 5.5p for five hours overnight and 24.45p all other times.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Just to update my situation. I was in the switching process to EDF when Igloo went under.
    I've successfully switched and had an email today from Igloo advising my credit with them will be in my bank within 7 days.
    Based on my experience not the long winded drawn out battle to get my money back I was anticipating !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    Had the same email from Igloo - didn't expect that at all. Fingers crossed
    Last edited by senwar; 25th October 2021 at 17:20.

Master
    Anyone successfully been switched from Avro to Octopus yet? Mine was supposed to be 5/11 but still seems to be waiting for the final billing from the Avro administrators.

I got told by Shell what my new tariff was on 7 October, and since then nothing …

DD is still going out to Green and I can still log in to Green and see my credit building with each month's payment.

I haven't been given a Shell login or anything? I guess just sit tight snd wait until Christmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Anyone successfully been switched from Avro to Octopus yet? Mine was supposed to be 5/11 but still seems to be waiting for the final billing from the Avro administrators.
    They keep emailing me saying I'm with them now but the account page on their website still shows zero credit, no direct debit and nothing to see here (I was in credit with Avro and direct debits are still being taken)

Advised by Octopus the transfer is going through and have been advised of new tariff ... but final meter reading still not documented by Octopus ... will keep paying DD to AVRO ... safe to do so as Avro's administrator obliged to credit same to Octopus ... Not too bothered about time taken to sort out the transfer as several hundred thousand accounts to transfer and I record my meter readings ... Will all be sorted eventually
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I seem to be bucking the trend here somewhat!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 13th November 2021 at 09:39.

Master

Energy costs up by £425

Ryan, FYI on tapatalk I can see the image preview before opening the thread showing what you are paying each month as your scribble for some reason only appears in the thread once open.

Weirdly the scribble on your account number is present before opening the thread. At least the important one is hidden.

^ Heaven forbid we should discover someone’s monthly payment.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ryan, FYI on tapatalk I can see the image preview before opening the thread showing what you are paying each month as your scribble for some reason only appears in the thread once open.

Weirdly the scribble on your account number is present before opening the thread. At least the important one is hidden.
    Hmm that's odd. I think it is because I loaded it first with the monthly payment uncovered and then re-uploaded with it covered and maybe the original upload is the one Tapatalk has cached?

When Symbio failed and Eon took over my electrickery tariff has gone from just over 12p/kWh to 26p/kWh. Plus the daily standing charge has gone up 30% too.

Electrickery bill has is up around 120%. I’ll be fighting the missus when she tries to put on the tumble dryer, LOL

New thread: How much does Ryan pay for his energy every month?

Why would you hide it?

I'm going from £110 per month combined energy, to 'I haven't got a clue because Shell hasn't been in touch but roughly £150 according to my old supplier Green'

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    New thread: How much does Ryan pay for his energy every month?

Why would you hide it?

I'm going from £110 per month combined energy, to 'I haven't got a clue because Shell hasn't been in touch but roughly £150 according to my old supplier Green'
    £70 a month now down from £85. I have nongas so that's all the energy for the month. 2 bed flat, 2 adults, 1 child and 1 dog. Seems OK and we rarely have the heating on as the flat keeps the heat in well.

Master
    I’m starting to think that Octopus are deliberately dragging their heels with fitting me a smart meter.
    They know I have an EV as I’ve told them as much and they know I want to get onto the Go tariff. But they must be thinking they would far rather get the 21p per kWh out of me than the 5p

Master
    Blog Entries
    Transferred from Igloo to Eon Next - my new tariff is 28.04p per day and 23.17p per KWh so just waiting to see how much more that'll be. Guess it'll be pointless looking to swap company until next summer?

Neon Reef and Social Energy Supply have just folded.

I’m with neon so will see how smoothly or not the transition to a new supplier is.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am with EDF in an all electric house. My fixed deal expires at the end of December and I use about 11,000KWH pa.
    Currently I pay £158pm and am on line to have a small credit. I have just been offered a new fixed deal at........£240pm!
    Standard variable Tariff said to be £180pm. MSE comparison check advises me to do nothing as there are no deals on offer at or below that SVT. The problem comes in April 22 when the Cap will likely sky rocket.

Master
    surely the "Shortages" are short lived? Or is this it now for energy prices??

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That's a very good question, one taxing the fine minds at the BOE too.

Master
    Looks like Bulb have now gone but too big to shift customers (or at least other companies agree to take them on) so they will be in effect nationalised.

In the Avro->Octopus world this still seems to be ongoing with the latest update on 19th Nov concluding with "We’ve worked on 3 ‘supplier of last resort’ processes before - Iresa, Gen4u and GoEffortless. It is unusual for this (in our experience) to have taken so long, but each administrator is different and so has different processes they like to follow."

I had hoped Bulb would weather the storm due to their size. They were a pleasure to deal with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The bulb has gone out....

However, all you bulb people will not need to transfer to a new provider and it's being run by a special administrator.
    You will probably all end up on the price cap because it would be pretty silly to try and jump ship right now.

And then everyone in the UK will pick up the costs between the price cap and actual cost (price cap =a loss) over the course of the next year, yay!....

And just imagine all that debt bulb left behind, that's probably all ending up on your bills next year too.

Looks like the nation's lust for constantly switching providers is likely to be at an end, after all, there is no-one left to switch too.
    5 year fixed price energy contract anyone?
    Last edited by jmitch; 22nd November 2021 at 17:18.

Master
    Think I probably asked before but what exactly was/is the job of the energy regulator??

If it’s not ensuring an orderly market, then what was/is their greater priority?

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

Looks like the nation's lust for constantly switching providers is likely to be at an end, after all, there is no-one left to switch too.
    5 year fixed price energy contract anyone?
    I could never understand it, an obvious race to the bottom. We’ve been with the same energy supplier for about 15 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    “We” (or the great and the good) have prioritised everything else ahead of price so I don’t think it’s a shortage in the sense of there not being options. Well, possibly very short term but the trend is definitely steep upwards curve.
    Last edited by David_D; 22nd November 2021 at 20:56.

Sad that people are left struggling to pay bills but hopefully upside is it will encourage people to use energy more efficiently, insulate and modernise and not live in an oversized residence. For the planet it could be a blessing in disguise which if course is no consolation for people on the limit now struggling to pay their bills.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I could never understand it, an obvious race to the bottom. We’ve been with the same energy supplier for about 15 years.
    Wonder if the Dragons’ Den investors are still involved with that energy switching business. They were fighting over it!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I thank you for your loyalty which has subsidised my cheap deals for the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I thank you for your loyalty which has subsidised my cheap deals for the last 15 years.
    Cost is not the driving factor for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sad that people are left struggling to pay bills but hopefully upside is it will encourage people to use energy more efficiently, insulate and modernise and not live in an oversized residence. For the planet it could be a blessing in disguise which if course is no consolation for people on the limit now struggling to pay their bills.
    Unfortunately a lot of people that are struggling to pay today's bills aren't going to be in a position to plonk down money to optimise tomorrow's bills, be it more efficient appliances or home improvements, and it seems the retrofit schemes and requirements on developers still fall rather short on what's probably required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of people that are struggling to pay today's bills aren't going to be in a position to plonk down money to optimise tomorrow's bills, be it more efficient appliances or home improvements, and it seems the retrofit schemes and requirements on developers still fall rather short on what's probably required.
    Indeed, we have just moved everything to LED & the majority of downstairs to Hue. The LED saving is significant on usage, the Hue will take longer to pay back.

With the smart meter (when the IDU works) I saw 8 halogen bulbs in the kitchen using 4-5p per hour when the kitchen workmen had them all on. With the LED ones, I barely see the pence per hour move from the basic cost of running a house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still not got an account with Shell following the collapse of Green and my account now £500 in the black so I cancelled the Direct Debit to Green. Shell can contact me with a proper account detail when they need money....

Only problem is it's probably impossible to switch without causing a complete cockup so I'm stuck on current tariff until Shell sort things out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I had hoped Bulb would weather the storm due to their size. They were a pleasure to deal with.
    I would agree up to a couple of months ago. Started overestimating and imposing silly direct debit payments. I had 340 in credit, using 140 - and they wanted to raise d/d to over 200.

I guess there was some pressure to draw in cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Still not got an account with Shell following the collapse of Green and my account now £500 in the black so I cancelled the Direct Debit to Green. Shell can contact me with a proper account detail when they need money....

Only problem is it's probably impossible to switch without causing a complete cockup so I'm stuck on current tariff until Shell sort things out.
    Nobody to switch to at the moment as fixed rates are ridiculous and variables will all be price cap or similar. My account is set up with Shell but no figures showing yet. I cancelled my DD with Green just as they went bust as I was £250 in credit (roughly two months payments)

Zog energy just gone into administration, and I was only 6 months into a nice cheap 2 year gas deal with them.

That’s both my individual leccy and gas suppliers gone bust, and no doubt a 100% increase in energy bills from now on.

Just fighting over the thermostat with the missus, LOL.

Master
    My Octopus switch from Avro finally completed i.e. the final bill and balance has been done. Looks like the DD is just the final bit to transfer. It looks ball park correct as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I would agree up to a couple of months ago. Started overestimating and imposing silly direct debit payments. I had 340 in credit, using 140 - and they wanted to raise d/d to over 200.

I guess there was some pressure to draw in cash.
    Their site suggests that I put my payment down from £65/m to £41/m for my all electric house. I don't know how long that message has been up for me though. It's not pointed out to you. You have to go and look for it.

Knowing that the price is only going to go up I am surprised that no-one has suggested overstating current usage in these "cheaper" months. Obviously would only apply to non-smart meter users.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Their site suggests that I put my payment down from £65/m to £41/m for my all electric house. I don't know how long that message has been up for me though. It's not pointed out to you. You have to go and look for it.

Knowing that the price is only going to go up I am surprised that no-one has suggested overstating current usage in these "cheaper" months. Obviously would only apply to non-smart meter users.

Not sure you should overstate current usage with a company about to go bust (in fact now they have).

Repeated messages I received wanted me to raise payments to 247/monthly. My current usage is around 135/month.

They're best ignored then!

Master
    I'm just trying to decide what to do regarding the mother in laws gas/elec, it ends at the end of February and she currently pays approx £60 per month combined, she's with Octopus and their tariffs are variable £85 per month, fixed for 12 months £140 per month

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I'm just trying to decide what to do regarding the mother in laws gas/elec, it ends at the end of February and she currently pays approx £60 per month combined, she's with Octopus and their tariffs are variable £85 per month, fixed for 12 months £140 per month
    I’m too within octopus and reciently had to make that decision- I initially went fixed but switched to their standard
    At the moment I pay £39 and am in credit, the fixed was between. £64 and nearly £100

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’m too within octopus and reciently had to make that decision- I initially went fixed but switched to their standard
    At the moment I pay £39 and am in credit, the fixed was between. £64 and nearly £100
    Tempted to switch her to standard variable and keep an eye on prices, lots of talk about government stepping in but not holding my breath.
    When you start sorting things like this out for someone that's 85 years young and relies on her pension it really brings it home how some will struggle, ( of course we will never allow her to struggle, but just makes you think ).

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Octopus prices seem steep too £93 last month. I’m on a fixed

My octopus bills have gone from 81 a month to £140 this month, fixed monthly DD - requested increase by them based on my usage history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    My octopus bills have gone from 81 a month to £140 this month, fixed monthly DD - requested increase by them based on my usage history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Funny that they have just asked me for an uplift.

Master
    I’m with Octopus and my fixed deal is soon ending. I’ll go on to their variable tariff for the moment as its price capped. Fixed deals too expensive at present.