closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Craftsman
    You've already had a price increase a few months ago so this will be the 2nd increase.......

E.ON recently announced a price rise of around 9% for customers on its standard variable tariff. The price rise came into effect on 1 April 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    Got this today from Eon - not too terrible:

Master
    I just switched from Eon to Igloo and they have said my DD is going up £20. Kicking myself now for not taking Eons 18 month fixed tariff that was only £6 extra a month than Igloo.

Energy Prices

All,

If anyone needs a referral code for Octopus,

share.octopus.energy/nice-wind-544

I've jumped ship to them from BG. The link above is a referral code for the Old Man!

Best,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    You've already had a price increase a few months ago so this will be the 2nd increase.......

E.ON recently announced a price rise of around 9% for customers on its standard variable tariff. The price rise came into effect on 1 April 2021.
    Ah - I hadn’t thought of that

I am with Bulb and they told me that my costs for all electric are likely to increase by £1.29 a week. I pay £65 a month by DD and usually end up £130 in credit by the end of the year, which conveniently comes to £650 a year. Being social housing it's cold AF. I only have a bath, no shower, no dishwasher, no freezer. Heating is by a halogen heater or a fan heater. I have a tumble dryer. The immersion heater is on 24 hours a day as the landlord won't fit a timer. It's just me in the house. Two winters ago I tried to keep the temperature at 13 degrees C when I was in the house, but it's fairly miserable so last year I kept it up to 16 degrees C, which is better. This is too cold to be healthy though according to those in the know. I have been at work through the pandemic and the summer has been relatively kind this year.

Bulb also said

Your new prices
    We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 18.876p to 20.824p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 26.881p to 27.384p per day.

These prices all include VAT at 5%.

...and by the way, there is always an electricity price increase just before winter in my experience. I will stick with Bulb, because my time is worth more than small increase, especially when you never know what you are going to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Christ is that the average??

Just me and the wife, 4 bed stone built old house (i.e. fecking freezing in the winter) and we were approx 7200 kWh gas / 6400 kWh elec last 12 months
    That usage seems very reasonable compared to ours. The wife and I and 2 kids, 5 bed detached Victorian townhouse and in the last year we used 38500 kWh gas, 14700 kWh electric :(
    Estimated bill for the next 12 months with Ovo is £4,800 so definitely going to be shopping around (and trying to figure out why we use so much energy!). Already done all the easy stuff like LED lighting, loft insulation, double glazing etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Try obtaining a quote from AVRO https://my.avroenergy.co.uk/quote
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    That usage seems very reasonable compared to ours. The wife and I and 2 kids, 5 bed detached Victorian townhouse and in the last year we used 38500 kWh gas, 14700 kWh electric :(
    Estimated bill for the next 12 months with Ovo is £4,800 so definitely going to be shopping around (and trying to figure out why we use so much energy!). Already done all the easy stuff like LED lighting, loft insulation, double glazing etc.

That usage seems alarmingly anomalous for your family and property size. Swimming pool?

Master

Energy costs up by £425

No pool or hot tub, we do have 2 EVs but that only explains some of it. Electric usage has gradually increased from 7000 kWh in 2016 to 14500 this year. Gas usage has been pretty stable in the 34-42000 kWh band over the last 5 years.

Last edited by stuie-t; 6th September 2021 at 10:27.

No pool, we do have 2 EVs but that only explains some of it. Electric usage has gradually increased from 7000 kWh in 2016 to 14500 this year

The gas is pretty extraordinary too though, or do you think you know what's causing that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The gas is pretty extraordinary too though, or do you think you know what's causing that?
    It’s a big volume to heat- 200+ Sqm and high ceilings, solid brick walls. There is always someone home so no period when the heating is off during the day. I have reduced the thermostat temperature to 20.5 from 21 which has brought usage down a bit.
    The boiler is a pretty efficient Worcester Bosch thing but a 42kw one as is needed for the heating demand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a big volume to heat- 200+ Sqm and high ceilings, solid brick walls. There is always someone home so no period when the heating is off during the day. I have reduced the thermostat temperature to 20.5 from 21 which has brought usage down a bit.
    The boiler is a pretty efficient Worcester Bosch thing but a 42kw one as is needed for the heating demand.

With that level of gas bills, it would be a worthwhile investment to get underfloor heating put in rather than spending a fortune to mainly heat your ceiling with radiators?

Master
    Current deal due to end on 28/09/21, after the fixed rate ends im looking at 47.5% increase from the same provider, time to do some shopping!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    With that level of gas bills, it would be a worthwhile investment to get underfloor heating put in rather than spending a fortune to mainly heat your ceiling with radiators?
    I don’t think you would ever recoup the investment. After shopping around a bit I can get the gas bill down to about £1400 per annum, to strip out the existing heating system with 17 radiators and replace with underfloor heating would be very expensive for the system alone even before considering making good the walls, replacement floor coverings etc.
    Agreed the foot of air directly below the ceiling is appreciably warmer. I expect the top floor landings particularly so since that’s the highest point. Maybe a ceiling fan there to circulate the air a bit would help?

Journeyman
    Just checked mine off the back of this... currently on a 1 year fix ending Feb 2022 so we're ok for this winter but looks like it's going to be an extra £200-250 a year when I do have to renew

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Ours is a 6 bed detached house - similar situation with somebody at home all the time, my wife and I and 2 teenage lads (one of whom is disabled so we keep the house warm at about 20c and the washing machine is on every day) but our gas usage is half that. House was built in 2000, wet underfloor heating that stays on a constant 20c throughout the winter, and all we have gas wise is the hot water and heating. We even have an outbuilding/play room for our youngest and that has been heated by a couple of gas wall heaters for a few hours a day for the last year. Plus our 20 year old seems to have become semi aquatic with his love of showers. So that level of usage is a bit of a shocker tbh, made me feel a bit better about our heating costs though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    Got this today from Eon - not too terrible:
    http://Untitled by meffiah, on Flickr
    Don't rely on that, . You need to look at the difference in pence per KWh on the old tariff Vs the new.

I’m with Eon but this was formally NPower before they became one and the same. I was on a fixed tariff until July of this year which I’d been on good the last 2 years.

I thought it would be straight forward to shop around, go on some comparison websites and get a comparable/ cheaper deal.

Oh how naive I was. Had alto settle for an increase of £300 as the best option. I looked everywhere, tried different suppliers for gas and electric as well as dual fuel quotes. Nobody could get anywhere near.

The cost of everything keeps increasing and wages are staying broadly static. It’s bonkers.

Master
    Was with GNE for electric who went squit earlier in the year and they moved it to EDF. Part of the deal was offering a cheaper deal than we were on until the end of September. The deal they’ve now offered is nearly treble what I’m paying. Even doing a comparison switch I’m looking at at least 50% more.

Last year oil was around 18p a litre, when I topped up in March it was 40p plus, no doubt that will rocket too.

Master
    Blog Entries

Energy costs up by £425

I am on agile with octopus that has gone through the roof recently.

I only have electric and they have offered the following 24 month fixed if anyone is interested

Standing charge (24.3)p
    Unit per kw 19.73p

That seems about the best in recent price hike.
    Last edited by Middo; 8th September 2021 at 15:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I am on agile with octopus that has gone through the roof recently.

I only have electric and they have offered the following 24 month fixed if anyone is interested

Standing charge (24.3)p
    Unit per kw 19.73p

That seems about the best in recent price hike.
    I have been looking at the Octopus Go tariff for electricity as it looks competitive at the moment but who knows if it will stay that way.
    Standing charge 25p
    Per kw 15.9p
    Per kw (EV charging rate 00:30-4:30) 5p

Their current variable gas rates are also good but the fixed rates are horrible (26.59p standing charge, 5.08p per kw)

Master
    Am I the winner? The very inappropriately named Outfox the Market want to put my dual fuel deal up by 47.6%!!!!
    Last edited by David_D; 10th September 2021 at 11:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Am I the winner, the very inappropriately named Outfox the Market want to put my dual fuel deal up by 47.6%!!!!
    Wowzers……..

Master
    Not sure what to do here. We are on a variable rate with octopus and out of contract. I called to enquire about fixing and inevitably it’s more expensive.

To fix on their best rate for 2 years we would be looking at the below change:
    - Electricity increasing from 17.87 per kWh to 20.75.
    - Gas increasing from 2.88 per kWh to 4.95.

I have no idea if prices will increase above the 2 year fix rate and as such if it’s worth taking it out.

Any insight appreciated!

Cheers

Stu

I'm on a variable tariff and my electricity is going up but not by a huge amount, circa 9% increase annually.

I guess the tariff was expensive in the first place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    I'm on a variable tariff and my electricity is going up but not by a huge amount, circa 9% increase annually.

I guess the tariff was expensive in the first place.
    How did you find out the increase %?

Edit:
    Found it.
    What is the price increase?

We are increasing our prices for customers on Octopus Flexible (our variable tariff) by an average of 7.1% (about £6 a month) from the 12th May.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 10th September 2021 at 11:36.

The Avro fix was for a year but with no early release penalties if you want to change at any time to another supplier.

Rates were:

Electricity - 17.85 kw/h 19.215 ständig charge
    Gas - 3.46 kw/h 17.85 standing charge

Still a lot more than my just-ended fix, but substantially better than the alternatives I was offered

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    How did you find out the increase %?
    They sent me an email with a comparison of my current and new annual costs which they've based on the previous 12 months use so it's a guesstimate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Not sure what to do here. We are on a variable rate with octopus and out of contract. I called to enquire about fixing and inevitably it’s more expensive.

To fix on their best rate for 2 years we would be looking at the below change:
    - Electricity increasing from 17.87 per kWh to 20.75.
    - Gas increasing from 2.88 per kWh to 4.95.

I have no idea if prices will increase above the 2 year fix rate and as such if it’s worth taking it out.

Any insight appreciated!

Cheers

Stu
    You can get much better rates for gas than that. I just fixed my gas supply with Ovo at 3.82p/ kWh. For electric I am moving to the Octopus Go tariff which is electric only and 15.9p /kWh daytime but with 25p standing charge

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Was with GNE for electric who went squit earlier in the year and they moved it to EDF. Part of the deal was offering a cheaper deal than we were on until the end of September. The deal they’ve now offered is nearly treble what I’m paying. Even doing a comparison switch I’m looking at at least 50% more.

Last year oil was around 18p a litre, when I topped up in March it was 40p plus, no doubt that will rocket too.
    Following Martyn Lewis’s email about my GNE/EDF deal I’ve moved across to Octopus on a 2 year fixed rate deal with no penalties for leaving. A lot more than I’m currently paying, but a lot less than what I’d be going up to. There were a couple of cheaper deals that his comparison site offered but cam with caveats about poor levels of service. Saving a tenner a month for loads of hassle isn’t worth it.

My Solar panels and Tesla Powerwall is looking like a even better investment (providing the sun shines).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

This might be interesting

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTzSoU1jfWZ/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Current deal due to end on 28/09/21, after the fixed rate ends im looking at 47.5% increase from the same provider, time to do some shopping!
    seems via Uswitch there were no better deals and staying with the current provide was the thing to do - until i realised that uswitch show only the deals they can facilitate as default. Go into the filter and turn this off, youll see all the deals available. school boy error.

Master
    seems via Uswitch there were no better deals and staying with the current provide was the thing to do - until i realised that uswitch show only the deals they can facilitate as default. Go into the filter and turn this off, youll see all the deals available. school boy error.
    Spotted similar when I was looking on Moneysupermarket. Cheapest magically drops 30%!! The word shysters springs to mind.

Think I might go for the EDF fix until 31/3/24. A definite hike on what I’ve been paying but gets me through 3 winters and “only” about 10% more than the cheapest deal (with decent customer service). No exit fee.

EDIT: Cancel that. They want to fit a smart meter as one of the conditions!
    Last edited by David_D; 14th September 2021 at 17:27.

Well, FWIW, I’ve just been notified that my energy company, PFP Energy, have just ceased trading & that their customers have been transferred to British Gas.

I’d only recently transferred from Scottish Power. I had only ended up with SP because Yorkshire Energy had ceased trading earlier this year.

Hmmm, I wonder which energy company that I choose will be next… 🤔😂

Craftsman
    We pay around £280 per month dual fuel for a 6ksqft modern house. We were on GNE so ported over to EDF. Couldn’t beat the EDF 3 year fixed really with anyone with decent customer service so swallowing the additional £100 per month. If costs reduce it’s only £70 to move so not a barrier at this cost level. Electricity is my fault as we run a server room at home with everything on all of the time plus a cinema room on standby. Still very expensive though isn’t it? Maybe we’ve gotten to used to cheap energy?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Maybe we’ve gotten to used to cheap energy?
    No, without going all Bear Pit, we're being ****ed for zero carbon.

Meanwhile ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58520563

Germany's government estimates that "natural gas will continue to make a significant contribution to energy supply in Germany over the coming decades", saying it is "more climate-friendly compared to other fossil fuels as it produces less CO2".

https://www.ft.com/content/9c3228f3-...7-8fb29dcbfda4

Datteln 4, a coal-fired power plant which opened last month in Germany's industrial heartland

Master
    The other annoying thing is there is no way of looking for the best deal on gas and electric, factoring in different suppliers for each at the same time. You can either search gas, or electric, or dual fuel but not dual fuel from different suppliers.
    Switching to Octopus go for electric and a new fixed rate for gas with OVO will save us about £1,000 compared with staying on the variable rates with OVO and several hundred versus the best dual fuel tariffs on the comparison sites.

Master
    Switching to Octopus go for electric and a new fixed rate for gas with OVO will save us about £1,000 compared with staying on the variable rates with OVO and several hundred versus the best dual fuel tariffs on the comparison sites.
    That’s a top tip. Didn’t try that. Be interesting to see what I can get with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Am I the winner? The very inappropriately named Outfox the Market want to put my dual fuel deal up by 47.6%!!!!
    Not even close - Shell Energy wanted to increase my DD from £86 (expiring fixed rate, currently £145 in credit) to £159 new fixed rate...?!!

Wondering if I made the right decision in switching to AVRO ... they took the first direct debit today.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Wondering if I made the right decision in switching to AVRO ... they took the first direct debit today.
    I've always had DDs taken prior to my supply switching over?

I've always had DDs taken prior to my supply switching over?
    This was the first DD prior to the official switch date ... Next week final meter reading taken ... Then existing supplier OVO takes final DD and refunds any Cr balance. I change supplier most years ... This year the AVRO quote (not through an energy cost comparator site) seemed 'too good to be true' compared to staying with OVO but I took the chance and switched. Now wondering how long AVRO can survive if most of their customers are on the same low tariff as me ... and if AVRO goes bust, which energy supplier I might end up with and at what cost.

Master
    I have duel fuel with British Gas

Gas
    Standing charge per day from 26.601p to 26.123p -0.478p
    Unit rate per kWh from 3.459p to 4.187p +0.728p estimated £70 rise per annum

Electric
    Standing charge per day from 23.316p to 23.307p -0.009p
    Unit rate per kWh from 18.904p to 20.773p +1.869p estimated £40 rise per annum

Previously when I thought about switching, every company wanted to put a smart meter in, does anyone know if that is still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Previously when I thought about switching, every company wanted to put a smart meter in, does anyone know if that is still the case?
    They have to ask, but you don't have to have one. Some word it to seem like you have to, but you don't.

I don't know if they've sorted the issue of some smart meters going stupid when you change supplier, but hopefully they have!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    Not even close - Shell Energy wanted to increase my DD from £86 (expiring fixed rate, currently £145 in credit) to £159 new fixed rate...?!!
    Wow! That’s staggering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Unfortunately, in my view anyway, seems likely to be the case. Was about to push the button on the EDF 2 1/2 year fixed and then noticed the smart meter requirement. Similarly Sainsburys (which I think is EON) although bizarrely for fixed but not standard variable tariffs.

I did manage to get away with it a couple of years ago when I realised I’d signed up for a smart meter condition. Think they wanted to come and fit on a particular day and I said I wasn’t able to be there. They never asked again! I suspect they’re more keen these days.

Master
    They have to ask, but you don't have to have one. Some word it to seem like you have to, but you don't.
    But presumably they can deny access to particular tariffs if you don’t want the smart meter?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My Solar panels and Tesla Powerwall is looking like a even better investment (providing the sun shines).
    Looking like that’s one way of addressing it. How easy was it to find a decent installer? I’m in the north and guess installers are local rather than National businesses?