closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Would the DD be recoverable under the banking DD guarantee? I’d ring the bank ASAP.

Hadn’t see your post before mine about Avro!

Does make you wonder just exactly what the energy regulator was doing.
    No need to ring the bank ... OFGEM guarantees you will not lose any DD ££payments already taken ... credit balance will be transferred to the new company

But there will be many mnay thousands of customers to be transferred to new energy providers so might take a few days or more to effect the transfers

I'm not too worried ... will have to be patient ... energy supplies will continue
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd September 2021 at 16:16.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    My new Avro tariff

My current AVRO plan rates:

Tariff
    Simple and Fix12M
    Type
    Fixed
    Electric Standing Charge
    17.85p per day
    Electric Unit Rate
    19.48p per kWh
    Gas Standing Charge
    17.85p per day
    Gas Unit Rate
    3.46p per kWh
    All rates include VAT at 5%

... so assume it's a fixed tariff with effect from date of changeover which according to contract was yesterday and the allocated 'taking over from Avro' energy provider (whichever co. this might be) is bound to honour the previously negotiated / agreed tariffs ?

No OFGEM email yet rec'd

dunk
    As I pointed out earlier that is not the case with regards to tariffs

Master
    My switch from Avro to Sainsburys will commence on 4th October - however i had a £56 balance and Avro have just taken a new direct debit today!

Just tried to log in to Avro to check my balance etc and its not showing anything apart from 'an unexpected error has occured'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Good to know- I’m on a fixed until March next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Hi

Variable or fixed tariff currently ?

If fixed , any replacement Ofgem appointed supplier will honour your existing deal until end of contract.

Best Neil
    I’ve since found out this is not true I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    My switch from Avro to Sainsburys will commence on 4th October - however i had a £56 balance and Avro have just taken a new direct debit today!

Just tried to log in to Avro to check my balance etc and its not showing anything apart from 'an unexpected error has occured'
    Avro have just gone bust

ofgem (@ofgem) Tweeted: Avro Energy and Green Supply Limited have ceased trading.

If you’re a customer, please don’t worry - you can rely on your energy supply as normal.

We will now switch you to a new supplier. More info on what happens next: https://t.co/5yNi8N09hi https://t.co/LPxlokBfGD https://twitter.com/ofgem/status/144...861315602?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I switched to Igloo earlier this year only for them to up my DD`s twice in as many months.
    I thought, `I`ll show them`, and switched again going to Avro after reading about them on here, and i`ve just heard on the radio they`ve gone bust!
    They took the first DD from me earlier this month and the switching day was tomorrow if i remember correctly, will i get that back?

That showed them, eh!!
    What a clusterf**k this is becoming..
    Exactly the same for me, except that my switch date was today. I got a mail this morning saying the switch had gone smoothly! I have no idea how - they have no readings (although I do have smart meters) and there is no way to input them as the Avro website has either gone down or been taken offline.

FWIW, Igloo haven't yet gone bust, but it looks like they are on the ropes too.

I should have stuck to the renewal offer from EDF (which I rejected to move to Igloo). I'm now going to be paying through the nose I suspect. Cap prices or close to here we come.

Master
    No need to ring the bank ... OFGEM guarantees you will not lose any DD ££payments already taken ... credit balance will be transferred to the new company
    That’s something!

But there will be many mnay thousands of customers to be transferred to new energy providers so might take a few days or more to effect the transfers
    For what it’s worth, I wonder when the old tariff ceases. Now or after transfer to new supplier?

Tariffs won`t be honoured but any credit you had with Avro should be safe?

"Energy credit is protected even if you left the company recently – so you won't lose any money you're owed

You may be owed money by Avro Energy or Green if your account had built up credit. In this scenario, the supplier Ofgem appoints will pay you back any money you're owed - this applies even if you'd already started to switch away. Here, the Ofgem appointed supplier should get in touch to arrange a refund - even for those who won't have been switched to it - but this can take a while, so there's no harm in getting in contact sooner. "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Avro have just gone bust
    yes i just heard hence why i logged in to get my latest credit balance. Just taken the meter readings for reference and the latest d/d payment details - hopefully it should be pretty easy to identify what they or rather the new provider owe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I got a mail this morning saying the switch had gone smoothly!
    Classic, Lol

I've just received the statement from Green. to say it has ceased trading. So that's another one for Ofgem and Kwasi's list of f*** ups.

It's going be like reliving the 1990s and the big five monopoly all over again.

Kwasi was warned about this scenario back in March 2020, and has done nothing.

Back in 2017 The Energy & Utilities Alliance (EUA) warned that the closure of the rough gas storage facility by Centrica would leave the UK far more exposed than other EU countries to fluctuations in supply and demand and costs. The Government did nothing.

And Ofgem insists on maintaining the unrealistic price cap based on historical data from 2015.

This shit show is set to continue for some time yet. Give me strength

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Back in 2017 The Energy & Utilities Alliance (EUA) warned that the closure of the rough gas storage facility by Centrica would leave the UK far more exposed than other EU countries to fluctuations in supply and demand and costs. The Government did nothing.
    Criminal really. If energy security isn’t important, what is??

It's going be like reliving the 1990s and the big five monopoly all over again.
    Yep, folk are going to be very wary of the smaller names now (i will be!) and may all just flock to a big name to provide security....................but higher tariffs....?

If it all goes to plan though people shouldn`t lose money through these failing companies - any credit is carried over to the newly appointed one, the only `loss` is that you`ll probably be paying more for your gas/leccy than you did..

Master
    Not good to hear about Green and Avro, I moved recently and my old property was supplied by Green and I was considering getting them to supply my new one. I had a credit with them but fortunately that was refunded a couple of weeks ago. I also was in the process of switching from EON to Avro at my new property but due to an issue with the address on the meter database, that couldn't go ahead which I am glad about now!

Still stuck on the standard variable EON tariff but looking around, that doesn't seem to be such a bad place to be at the moment...

Criminal really. If energy security isn’t important, what is??
    It's not important at a national level and hasn't been since cegb was broken up and sold off.

You can rant at the current owners but the seed were sewn a long time ago.

Would you propose that all customers subsidise sites like rough, atwick, aldborough and all the old coal and gas sets with entry capacity but no economic chance of dispatch unless these exact conditions arise? Conditions which are once in a generation.

I'm not saying you're wrong by the way.
    I'm saying don't hate the players, hate the game.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    Hope Octopus remain secure - I find them streets ahead on customer service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    It's not important at a national level and hasn't been since cegb was broken up and sold off.

You can rant at the current owners but the seed were sewn a long time ago.

Would you propose that all customers subsidise sites like rough, atwick, aldborough and all the old coal and gas sets with entry capacity but no economic chance of dispatch unless these exact conditions arise? Conditions which are once in a generation.

I'm not saying you're wrong by the way.
    I'm saying don't hate the players, hate the game.

UK governments of all shades have had an abject record of strategic planning for decades.

And with energy it’s now overlaid by the poorly planned “response” to climate change.

I don’t want to pay a huge increase on my energy bills but can afford it, for now. Lots of people aren’t so lucky.

I've some experience in the industry.

Solution?

Re-nationalise.

Least bad option......

But then the govt are in charge!

Last edited by farquare; 23rd September 2021 at 06:36.

Yes apparently I picked a poor time to switch to Avro! Completed this morning too apparently and they've already taken their first payment. Oh goody

Craftsman
    I moved to Avro 2 weeks ago and they have already taken the first months payment but it appears any payment (credit on account) will eventually be credited to your new suppliers account once a supplier has been appointed by Ofgem.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...t-aNNsT0m4NIzL

Master
    I hope and pray that Octopus don’t go under because I’ve just joined them specifically for their excellent EV tariff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I hope and pray that Octopus don’t go under because I’ve just joined them specifically for their excellent EV tariff.
    Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I know one thing, whatever shower Ofgem force on me I'll be shifting quick-smart.

Will there be any renewable companies left? I suspect this is a partly-fabricated last gasp by the fossil fuel industry to bleed us dry until the end of days.

I'm going to lie down on the M25 in protest tomorrow. Maybe that will help?

Hello

I know one thing, whatever shower Ofgem force on me I'll be shifting quick-smart.

Will there be any renewable companies left? I suspect this is a partly-fabricated last gasp by the fossil fuel industry to bleed us dry until the end of days.

I'm going to lie down on the M25 in protest tomorrow. Maybe that will help?
    It happened to me. Mine went boom got shifted to Southern Electric, poor tariff so went to British Gas and then Octopus.

Master
    I saw this on HotUKDeals.

Sainsbury’s 2 years fixed deal Energy Crisis + 12000 Nectar Bonus Points (worth £60) at Sainsbury's Energy (E.ON)

Offer only available new residential gas and electricity customers (dual fuel customers) or electricity only customers switching to Sainsbury’s Energy. Offer requires a residential energy contract for gas and / or electricity on Sainsbury's Energy Fix and Reward. We work out your energy charges from: – the daily standing charge(s) that apply to your tariff times the number of days, plus – the unit rate(s) that apply to your tariff times based on the amount of energy you use We then take off any discounts applicable and add VAT. You will be eligible to receive your Nectar points once you are on supply on Sainsbury's Energy Fix and Reward. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply. It can take up to 30 days from your Supply Start Date to receive your points. Nectar 360 Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available. Sainsbury's Energy reserves the right to alter, cancel or withdraw this offer and/or tariff without notice.

†Dual fuel customers receive 2 additional points for each pound spent in Sainsbury’s stores (triple points), 1 additional point if you are a single fuel customer (double points), up to a maximum of 3,500 points per fuel per annum. You will be eligible to receive these additional Nectar points whilst you are on supply on Sainsbury's Energy Fix & Reward.
    https://www.sainsburysenergy.com/index.html

Lidl / British Gas Evolve “The Lidl One” Exclusive energy Tariff + £50 Lidl Plus coupon for New dual fuel Customers on direct debit
    Eligibility criteria

Only available to new British Gas and British Gas Evolve customers
    Not available to Green Deal customers, single fuel customers, customers with PAYG meter, or a smart meter in prepayment mode
    Payment must be by monthly Direct Debit
    Your account will be managed online
    Only available to UK residents (excluding Northern Ireland)
    https://www.britishgasevolve.co.uk/l...ish-gas-evolve
    Last edited by classics; 23rd September 2021 at 15:17.

Anyone else use Flipper as an energy broker/ save time doing admin/ searches? Yeah guess they don't want to do the admin anymore and are folding. Telling you to change the email on your supplier profile website rather than theirs they use to manage the account... but you can't change anything on the profile at Avro other than password... hmm I see fun times ahead

Apologies if repost but noticed this nugget Press Release on Ofgem website:

Ofgem is issuing suppliers Colorado Energy, Igloo Energy Supply Limited, Neon Reef Limited, Whoop Energy Limited and Symbio Energy with provisional orders, compelling them to pay around £765,000 in total for a government environmental scheme.

The Feed In Tariff (FIT) scheme, which is administered by Ofgem, provides payments to owners of small-scale renewable energy generators, and is paid for by suppliers.

Any supplier that fails to pay its Year 11 FIT levelisation obligation by the deadline of 17 September 2021 is in breach of the rules of its supply licence.

The five suppliers each failed to make their payments by the due date. Colorado Energy failed to pay £261,406.12, Igloo failed to pay £316,582.44, Neon Reef Limited failed to pay £37,350.76, Symbio Energy failed to pay £146,238.66 and Whoop Energy limited failed to pay £3,780.22. This will delay the distribution of this money to generators and other suppliers.

If the suppliers fail to comply with the order made against them, Ofgem may take further enforcement action and they could end up having their licences revoked or facing a financial penalty.

Currently on the Octopus tracker which they have just changed to add in a cap of 30p khw for elec and 6p for gas - so if it goes high there is a max…

I could swap to any of their other tarrifs but the fixed are almost as much now - suppose there is the variable which will probably get more expensive but at a slower rate.

For now I think the plan will be to see how it goes.. if the price fluctuates enough below the 30p/6p threshold it might work out ok come next year… Shame the solar panels will not do much over the winter months !

Cheers

Matt

Listening to the radio earlier today pensioners were calling saying the companies that had gone bust had hundreds of pounds of their money, the government should have seen that coming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Listening to the radio earlier today pensioners were calling saying the companies that had gone bust had hundreds of pounds of their money, the government should have seen that coming.
    This. If my mum is anything to go by many of them have a reluctance to request their money refunded until it hits the £££’s ‘just in case’. Drives me potty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does make you wonder just exactly what the energy regulator was doing.
    They were handing out supply licenses like they were f****** smarties to every tom dick and Harry, creating these very situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Apologies if repost but noticed this nugget Press Release on Ofgem website:

Ofgem is issuing suppliers Colorado Energy, Igloo Energy Supply Limited, Neon Reef Limited, Whoop Energy Limited and Symbio Energy with provisional orders, compelling them to pay around £765,000 in total for a government environmental scheme.
    Tip of the iceberg.

Avro and green are leaving £100m of RO & FiT debt and it's all going to end up on ALL YOUR BIlLS next year. The process is called mutualisation. All regulatory debt payable to ofgem just gets shared among the suppliers left standing and they obviously have to pass it back to you.

Amusingly this means that avro customers will end up paying twice as it's something that they already paid for, but the suppliers failed to ringfence to pass to ofgem, maybe spending in on yachts and holidays, so now it will end up on bills next year.

A key factor in this problem is that ofgem allow companies to pay a charge that is up to 20% of their annual turnover in one lump a year in arrears, and often when they are asked to pay, they simply don't have the money.

The mutualisation alone will probably push a few more companies over the precipice.

When people go with a cheap, cowboy, too good to be true suppliers, all they do is compound this problem.
    Maybe think about that before switching (or voting Tory)

And remember that the Italians and French have 15-18 times the gas storage each than we do, and roughly the same population, another example of Tory incompetence
    Last edited by jmitch; 24th September 2021 at 08:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On 9th September national grid paid in excess of £80 per MWh just to balance the grid, pissing £40m away in just one day, at least tenfold what a normal day costs and the most expensive day on record.
    Of the 10 most expensive days ever (beast from the east etc) 3 of them were In the first 10 days of September. (Edit: just checked the latest NG data and now 5 of the most expensive days in history are in the first 14 days of September)

We actually had to step in and bail out Ireland as they were about to have massive power cuts.

All these costs are an extra nail in the coffin of struggling suppliers and highlight the problems of the UK grid and our reliance on renewables and gas.
    Last edited by jmitch; 24th September 2021 at 09:35.

Master
    Well Avro looks to have been a bit dodgy https://twitter.com/i/events/1441308044009246720 Which kind of comes back to Ofgem doing a better job.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Well Avro looks to have been a bit dodgy https://twitter.com/i/events/1441308044009246720 Which kind of comes back to Ofgem doing a better job.

Was just about to post that story! Incredible - but in a bad way!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ners-x328n95qj

^^^^ Opportunist whippersnapper ... I should have researched AVRO before switching a few weeks ago. ... Now wondering exactly WHEN i'll hear from OFGEM ref their chosen new energy supplier for me ... I cannot cancel my DD to AVRO for fear of gas and electricity being 'cut off' if I withhold payments

Biggest cock-up since BREXIT ... also blame "refutin' Putin"

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 24th September 2021 at 18:21.

Master
    Genuine question - how do suppliers cut off your gas and electricity?

I know there are gas valves and electric switches but these are inside your property normally and I'm assuming the gas supply is communal for the street and so is electricity.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Master
    If you have a smart meter they can, apparently, do it remotely but otherwise I’m sure it needs meter access. Many properties have meters outside these days.

I would have thought disconnection would require some serious legal process. Maybe not!

I know there are gas valves and electric switches but these are inside your property normally and I'm assuming the gas supply is communal for the street and so is electricity.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
    My smart meter is housed in an external cupboard next to my front door ... anyone with a T key can open the meter cupboard ... all the properties in this street have the same type of meter cupboard

Master
    I have cancelled my direct debit with Avro, and my bank also refunded my direct debit payment paid 20th September under the DD guarantee

My account with them was in credit anyway, (not that I can see any statement details currently) so not going to provide any more funds.

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    I have cancelled my direct debit with Avro, and my bank also refunded my direct debit payment paid 20th September under the DD guarantee

My account with them was in credit anyway, (not that I can see any statement details currently) so not going to provide any more funds.

Did you switch supplier yourself after cancelling your DD ? If so, which supplier did you choose?

Master
    Did you switch supplier yourself after cancelling your DD ? If so, which supplier did you choose?
    Not doing anything until new supplier appointed by Ofgen, any credit with Avro should be ported over, then will look at options

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post

Yeah mine will be the same in credit. I cancelled the DD with Yorkshire when they went under and owed them money. Nothing gets turned off I just logged in and paid the balance when finally asked. Avro seem to have switched off their website pretty much which means you have to calculate your own balance as it stands.

Master

Good question! Can I find a new supplier and switch before I (on behalf of my mother) am transferred from Avro?

Good question! Can I find a new supplier and switch before I (on behalf of my mother) am transferred from Avro?
    I have not tried ... you will likely need your annual kWh usage figs ... new provider might be able to access same if you have a smart meter ... I paid my first DD to AVRO on 13 Sept ... I'll cancel the next DD on 12 Oct if OFGEM has not switched me by 12 Oct

Master
    I have not tried ... you will likely need your annual kWh usage figs ... new provider might be able to access same if you have a smart meter ... I paid my first DD to AVRO on 13 Sept ... I'll cancel the next DD on 12 Oct if OFGEM has not switched me by 12 Oct
    OK thanks. Just wondered if there were any half decent deals still about. Guess there won't be by the time OfGem does its stuff.

OFGEM will need a lot resources in the broadest sense to switch the many thousands of 'providers gone bust' customers to alternative suppliers ... I cannot imagine that affected consumers' accounts will be examined / assessed / switched "manually" ... more likely all done by computer ... so we take 'pot luck' ... and could still take ages to complete ... and could be complicated by additional providers / suppliers going bust

Master
    Funnily enough i received an email from AVRO to update my meter readings so they could send me an upto date bill. I dont know if its an automated email or not but last time i tried to log in to my AVRO account it just kept throwing an error. Havent tried logging in through the link in the meter reading request email yet.

I did take my meter readings on the day AVRO went bust for my own reference.

Master
    We switched to another 1 year fixed yesterday, still with the same company, it increased our monthly payments by just over £1, we only get electric from them as we have no mains gas.

Master
    Had email from Octopus who appear to have secured the Avro former customers.

Master
    Had email from Octopus who appear to have secured the Avro former customers.
    Me too. They were the other option I’d considered when I went with Avro. So I guess apart from the £50 referral it could have been worse…like BG.