closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi A6 (C7) gearbox options - advice

Blog Entries

Audi A6 (C7) gearbox options - advice

I was just "browsing" ads for C7 Audi A6s (2011 to 2017), ideally one of the 3.0TDI variants. I noted that there seems to be a variety of gearbox options available on the 3.0TDIs; manual, Multitronic, S-Tronic and Tiptronic etc. (or least that is what the ads suggest).

I've searched both the Audi owners club and Pistonheads for specific info but can't seem to find much in the way of what gearbox options were paired with what variant of the 3.0TDI engine?

What I do seem to have learned is that Multitronic, S-Tronic and Tiptronic are CVT, DCT and conventional auto gearboxes respectively. Also that both the Multitronic and S-tronic gearboxes need regular maintenance (at least more so than a conventional auto) and that they don't have the best reliability record, certainly in the models pre-2015 facelift.

Appreciate any info that might clarify above. Thanks.
    Last edited by vagabond; 31st August 2021 at 14:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Reliability wise, the only "Safe" option secondhand is the manual - generally the most you ever need with one is a relatively cheap clutch fix.

Audi have definitely improved reliability in the last couple of years, but there is a reasonable chance you can get unlucky the older you get. If you are, the fix can be extremely expensive. A new DSG/Stronic box is £12k.

- With ALL autos you need FSH and make sure the oil changes are done. If not, walk away.
    - Test drive from cold and when warm. gear changes should be seamless. Any shunting at any speed, especially low speed changing between forward/reverse and Neutral-1st-2nd: Walk away.
    - DSG/Stronic will have a small hesitation in situations when pulling away fast from a junction - this is normal

Master
    Get the one with the conventional auto if you search the net for problems with the various types of auto box the conventional ones are far more reliable but still have to be looked after as with anything mechanical, I drove an a4 dsg the other week and wasn’t overly impressed by the smoothness of the gearbox round town

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Reliability wise, the only "Safe" option secondhand is the manual - generally the most you ever need with one is a relatively cheap clutch fix.

Audi have definitely improved reliability in the last couple of years, but there is a reasonable chance you can get unlucky the older you get. If you are, the fix can be extremely expensive. A new DSG/Stronic box is £12k.

- With ALL autos you need FSH and make sure the oil changes are done. If not, walk away.
    - Test drive from cold and when warm. gear changes should be seamless. Any shunting at any speed, especially low speed changing between forward/reverse and Neutral-1st-2nd: Walk away.
    - DSG/Stronic will have a small hesitation in situations when pulling away fast from a junction - this is normal

This was the advice I was given a few years ago by a VW independent when looking at VAG DSG etc cars.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Thanks - I was looking at the Audi, specifically a C7 A6 Avant as a alternative to my go-to marque which is BMW. Never had an Audi before, so thought it might be time to rectify that. However I would really prefer an auto, so I might have to go back to looking at F10 5 series tourings again.

An alternative is a Mercedes W212 estate but again not hearing good things about the 7 speed G-tronic autoboxes. Though a E350cdi seems like a lovely thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt discount the A6 - just buy carefully - it's a great machine and will probably be my next purchase.

I have the A4 Avant with CVT auto and it's been fine for 6 years, but the box is showing a little its age now at 74000miles (2014MY) - not quite as silky as it used to be. If you can't/don't want new or lease then buy FSH, low miles and sell before it gets too old is the best way.