closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris Aquis Upcycle

Oris Aquis Upcycle

Oris have released a new Aquis model that uses recycled PET plastic for the dial. They're really bright and colourful, as well as each one being unique.
    There's a powerful message behind the choice of material in the dial as well.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-de...plastic-dials/

Personally, I really like that. I could well be in the market for one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like them.

This idea applied to a G-Shock...mwah!

Really really nice, very tempted.

Master
    Each to his own, but that dial look's all wrong. Not my cup of tea.

Master
    The Aquis Clean Ocean LE featured recycled plastic on the caseback - looked OK there, but not sure the dial would be for me.
    Last edited by ENES; 31st August 2021 at 12:49.

Only problem for me with this dial is,,,, I would want to see loads of them all in a row so i could choose the one i liked best.
    Id be perpetually looking at others if i bought, thinking, damn i like that dial better, no i like that one better, oh wait i just love that one, and on and on

That'll be a no from me,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I really like Oris as a brand and all the things they do usually. However, this is a no from me, it looks like it might be a bit tricky to tell the time on certain versions of that dial.

Kinda feels a bit worthy, small proportion of watch using recycled parts and that type of recycled material has been available for ove 20 years, so not really that innovative. Still it looks ok, but kinda feels a bit contrived

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Kinda feels a bit worthy, small proportion of watch using recycled parts and that type of recycled material has been available for ove 20 years, so not really that innovative. Still it looks ok, but kinda feels a bit contrived
    Agreed. Points for at least doing something though.

I was at a local nature reserve and noticed in the gift shop they were selling toys made from recycled milk cartons - mostly boats, seems like a great idea until I spotted the cheapest was £30. Same with clothes in the colour supplements - waterproof jacket £50, waterproof jacket made of recycled materials £300. All very worthy but always priced at the middle classes to make them feel better about their conspicuous consumption!
    This smacks of the same thing - a tiny disc of recycled plastic, to show you’re saving the ocean. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a funky looking thing, impossible to tell the time on though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I was at a local nature reserve and noticed in the gift shop they were selling toys made from recycled milk cartons - mostly boats, seems like a great idea until I spotted the cheapest was £30. Same with clothes in the colour supplements - waterproof jacket £50, waterproof jacket made of recycled materials £300. All very worthy but always priced at the middle classes to make them feel better about their conspicuous consumption!
    This smacks of the same thing - a tiny disc of recycled plastic, to show you’re saving the ocean. Hmm.

Couldn’t have said it better. Bit virtue signally for my liking if I’m honest

I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I'm saving the planet by buying one, but I do like the look a lot. Certainly better than a watch with a piece of Titanic or the desk of Stephen Hawking in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Only problem for me with this dial is,,,, I would want to see loads of them all in a row so i could choose the one i liked best.
    Id be perpetually looking at others if i bought, thinking, damn i like that dial better, no i like that one better, oh wait i just love that one, and on and on
    I would be the same as you. I do like Oris Aquis watches and have owned a few of them over the years but for this one I would definitely like to choose the dial I like the best.

I quite like the look, colourful and cheerful and it will give me the warm fuzzy feeling that I am doing my bit to save the planet.
    It’s perfect as a holiday watch. Something fun and bright to use when I get on the aeroplane to that far off resort, using the locals limited water supplies for the pool and washing those nice clean towels…

It’s a nice dial that is different but it smells a bit like virtual signalling as already stated.
    However showing what we can do with these materials when recycled can only be a good thing.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd September 2021 at 08:02.

Apprentice

Recycled Dial

I do like the dial and the idea of incorporating recycled plastics into everyday items, but, I would like know how much of the block of recycled PET ended up in the bin after it has machined and polished into a watch dial

If anyone buys this and genuinely thinks they have made a difference to the environment is beyond help. I certainly wouldn't class this as virtue signalling.

For me, the dial could well be a discussion point about a very real problem the planet is facing. Those conversations will have much more impact than the use of a few grams of recycled plastic.

I don’t see it as saving the planet but it’s a start about progressing discussion isn’t it.

Positioned much more elegantly by Doug.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    If anyone buys this and genuinely thinks they have made a difference to the environment is beyond help. I certainly wouldn't class this as virtue signalling.

For me, the dial could well be a discussion point about a very real problem the planet is facing. Those conversations will have much more impact than the use of a few grams of recycled plastic.
    I meant more from the manufacturer than the buyer, I think buyers will just buy it if they like it regardless. I might be talking out of my backside and Oris might do loads for the environment but a luxury watch just seems a strange place to position an environmental message. Feels akin to HSBC launching a save the koalas mortgage product or something

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    https://www.watchpro.com/oris-offici...utral-company/

It has issued Oris with a certificate confirming that it offset more than 2,500 tonnes of CO2 through support of the “Clean oceans” project, run by Plastic Bank, which has stopped one billion plastic bottles entering the ocean. For each compensated tonne of CO2, 10 kg of plastic waste is collected.

Good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    https://www.watchpro.com/oris-offici...utral-company/

It has issued Oris with a certificate confirming that it offset more than 2,500 tonnes of CO2 through support of the “Clean oceans” project, run by Plastic Bank, which has stopped one billion plastic bottles entering the ocean. For each compensated tonne of CO2, 10 kg of plastic waste is collected.

Good on them.

That's a fantastic achievement! I'm now set on getting to a store to try one of these.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a fantastic achievement! I'm now set on getting to a store to try one of these.
    Let me know how you get on. I think theyre ace but as someone said earlier in the thread would prefer to have a pick of a few dials to find one I liked the best.

Master
    I quite like them cosmetically but surely whatever you save on dial material is negligible compared to the more obvious measure of not buying a watch you don't need.

I really like that, its quirky and fun, the exact opposite of 99% of the watches out there, decent brand, decent watch, decent idea, great execution ....

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Let me know how you get on. I think theyre ace but as someone said earlier in the thread would prefer to have a pick of a few dials to find one I liked the best.
    I've started talking to a couple stores that stock them and have had them send me pictures. They're all very understanding and happy to oblige. I might have found a good one and will update this thread if I do buy.

I was pleased to pick one up today, I'll get some photos up tomorrow I hope.

Craftsman
    I was pleased to pick one up today, I'll get some photos up tomorrow I hope.
    How have you found it so far? Did you manage to look at few and pick your favorite dial?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    How have you found it so far? Did you manage to look at few and pick your favorite dial?
    I’d be interested too, very tempted by one of these….

I messaged a few Oris dealers that had stock, and asked them to send some pictures. They all obliged and I found the most balanced one for me an paid them a visit.

I wanted to try and avoid the ‘tie dye’ look as well as big blocks of colour. I think I choose well!

Here’s my post about it: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t-(of)-rubbish

Master
    Thank you, great looking watch BTW. Must be a pleasure to own and wear.