closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting find today JNO Avia

Interesting find today JNO Avia

I went to the local antiques fair today and see this beauty , I had to have it !

A watch I didnt know existed until today ! A quick google whilst having a coffee told me its a German Pilots, navigators watch around WW1 era . With a rotating arrow bezel to time flight direction / fuel ect .

The dealer wasnt that keen on selling it but I managed to get it later on in the day .

At first i thought it was a Homage or Reissue as the condition is very good , but look at the movement they wouldnt put that in a new watch .

Its keeping good time so far and I like the Zulu Diver strap . Thought I would post a pic of it next to my Speedy for a size comparison , as its a large watch for the early 1900s . The crystal is very tall .

hope you are having a good weekend

Rob[IMG] [/IMG]

That's a smashing looking little thing. Suits that strap.

These are a lovely watch and that looks to be in cracking condition
    These were interwar era.
    I love the crystals on them.
    Great find.

Great find.Any markings on the back?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Very nice, 37mm right?
    Is it a FHF movement?

That is certainly a lovely find 👍

Thanks Guys

It certainly caught my attention in the cabinet . I was concerned about re finished dial but Im fairly sure its original , as there are a few marks looking at it under loupe and google images shows the same .

The hands and crown may be replacements as the images show different , its not marked as a issued watch and condition suggest it probably spent most of its time in a draw !

Not sure on movement yet but more than likely a 15 jewel FHF , need to research this .

I dont collect military watches and I dont know enough about them , BUT I really liked the look of this piece . Nothing else like it at the fair and not something you see everyday .

The dealer had this for a long time in his own collection , he admitted it would be very hard to find another, which is why he reconsidered selling the first time !!

The Luftwaffe during this period did not generally mark equipment. There was not supposed to be a Luftwaffe after all.
    A lot of the kit used (Hanhart chronographs and flying jackets for example) were personal purchase and not issued (but had to conform to a standard) so they will not have marked case backs.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th August 2021 at 19:41.

Thanks this is what the dealer told me today. He had found this through his own research .
    As you posted after the first world war Germany had a depleated military force with personnel having to supply there own equipment.

Got to say this would have been a right pain to operate the bezel inflight. Wearing gloves
    Its the bezel between the crystal and outer bezel you have to twist to get the arrow to move . I need to use my fingernails to move it.
    I bet they were glad when the chronographs became more affordable.

The marker would have been used to mark an important time such as take off time etc.
    Not really used in flight.
    There are lots of versions out there made by different makers, some a lot larger than this one, I must get one some day.

A very nice find . It goes well with the strap , a nice combination .

I would love to be wrong but that looks like a late 20s pilot's rather than WW1.

JNO Avia : montre aviateur années 30
    https://translate.google.com/transla...teur-annees-30

You will also find them as INO AVIA and they are officially classified as "1930s".
    Last edited by abraxas; 30th August 2021 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    JNO Avia : montre aviateur années 30
    https://translate.google.com/transla...teur-annees-30

You will also find them as INO AVIA and they are officially classified as "1930s".

Thanks for this , it was just my initial quick Google search that told me it was WW1 ERA , Sinnlover posted that these watches are post WW1 and you have confirmed for me . Been wearing it today, lots of nice comments whilst out and about earlier today with friends .

Just to update its a Adolf Schild Cal 137 movement, not the Fontainemelon ( FHF) I initially thought it could be

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Just to update its a Adolf Schild Cal 137 movement, not the Fontainemelon ( FHF) I initially thought it could be
    Thank you!!
    Here a useful read:https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/m....php#schild137