closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got the call...Rolex freebies?

Got the call...Rolex freebies?

Got the call for Rolex OP 41 green dial this morning. Seven month wait. As I'm not planning any other Rolexes in the near future I thinking of scoring some freebies.

Do AD's still give out Rolex branded freebies? What sort of stuff do they have nowadays?

I wouldn't mind something like this

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I asked when I purchased my DJ41 and I got bugger all! They did say they had some pens not long before that though

Apprentice
    Congrats bud! I’ve not heard of many getting freebies these days sadly. Doesn’t hurt to ask though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was given a Rolex wallet, chocolate and bottle of champagne at Goldsmiths earlier this year.

Master
    Only time I’ve ever had anything was a bottle of champagne with my wife’s DJ purchase back in the day, though at AD events they normally give out goodies.

I’m guessing AD’s have to purchase things like wallets and umbrellas etc and probably know nowadays they don’t need to offer up stuff.

Got some after shave and a travel watch holder

You're lucky just to get the watch these days.....

Craftsman

Freebies

I received a crappy plastic Rolex pen on my first purchase, a cap on my second and an umbrella on my third !! On this occasion I did however manage to persuade the salesman to hand me over his own personal Patek Loupe which has come in very handy. Since then I’ve had no more goodies with my subsequent purchases.

Honestly I suggest not spoiling the experience quibbling over freebies. Just a person opinion of course, but the way I see it if they offer something great, if they don't then forget about it. Focus on the watch, that's what you're spending your money on

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Honestly I suggest not spoiling the experience quibbling over freebies. Just a person opinion of course, but the way I see it if they offer something great, if they don't then forget about it. Focus on the watch, that's what you're spending your money on

Just my 2 cents
    Agree

The green OP41 goes for above RRP, don't embarrass yourself by asking for freebies on top of the free money they're giving you. Will just ruin the experience and make things awkward.

Craftsman
    I would not ask; just see if they offer. If they do offer a choice though, go for the weekend travel hold-all. It is a high quality bit of kit.

Master
    As my miserable old git of a grandad used to say "Those that don't ask - don't want, those that do ask - don't get"

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking if they have any Rolex freebies, you might get lucky.

Master
    I was given a till receipt, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with asking if they have any Rolex freebies, you might get lucky.

That is the long and short of it.

The op has no basis for negotiation or influence, no matter what others have suggested might be on offer.

The art is to ask in such a way, as to not appear to be 'owned' if there is nothing forthcoming............... Unless prepared to walk out with an "I'll take my custom elsewhere!"

I always make sure I get a Rolex-branded tie, paperweight, watch roll and magazine with every new Rolex I buy.

If you’re lucky they might throw in a warranty card.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    If you’re lucky they might throw in a warranty card.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    You should really try to negotiate and see if you’re allowed to take your Rolex out for a walk - I heard of one dude who bought a Rolex and was allowed to take it out for lunch followed by an afternoon stroll. The AD insisted on it being back home before the shop closed though :-)

I would feel lucky if the AD gave me a reach around tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    As my miserable old git of a grandad used to say "Those that don't ask - don't want, those that do ask - don't get"

and mine said "Shy bairns get nowt".

I wouldn’t lower myself to scrounge for freebies, would make you look like a real cheapskate.

Does anyone wear all the freebies at the same time?
    Cap, tie, umbrella, aftershave. It would be a strong look.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That is the long and short of it.

The op has no basis for negotiation or influence, no matter what others have suggested might be on offer.

The art is to ask in such a way, as to not appear to be 'owned' if there is nothing forthcoming............... Unless prepared to walk out with an "I'll take my custom elsewhere!"
    Precipitating a ten strong egg and spoon race of desperate wait listers, watched by a half naked sales team - laughing through great gobfulls of raw meat as Gordon from Tenby falls arse over tit, his stupid face plastered in yolk and disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Does anyone wear all the freebies at the same time?
    Cap, tie, umbrella, aftershave. It would be a strong look.
    Forget being mugged, anyone like that would deserve a slap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Just my 2 cents
    Yes this.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Bought a DJ41 SS Wimbledon and a DJ 31 SS for my wife on separate occasions and wasn't offered anything! The only thing that would be of use to me is the Rolex branded loupe but I don't know if these are given out with watches, I've only seen them on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I wouldn’t lower myself to scrounge for freebies, would make you look like a real cheapskate.
    Totally agree, your spending 4 figures on a watch and blatantly asking for free merch, looks like you want anything you can get to sell on to take a bit off the watch price which then looks like you cant afford the watch in the first place - tacky..

If your offered with no asking from yourself then not a problem, take it and sell it on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 25807st View Post
    Bought a DJ41 SS Wimbledon and a DJ 31 SS for my wife on separate occasions and wasn't offered anything! The only thing that would be of use to me is the Rolex branded loupe but I don't know if these are given out with watches, I've only seen them on ebay
    What’s the point of a Rolex loupe, they don’t have a clear case back and if you actually used one on the dial and hands you’d be shocked and appalled at how bad the finishing is

Master
    I (in fact the wife) got a bottle of champers when I bought a 16610 from Haywood's shop. I suppose it did cost more than a new one...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I was given a till receipt, does that count?
    genuinely lol'd.
    When i bought my AK, i didnt even get that as they ran out of till paper!!

Can't be an e-receipt. The ink never fades and you'll never lose it.

I don't think it is tacky at all

The ADs have to buy this stuff from Rolex (at great expense). The aim of the exercise is to give a punter a gift in lieu of a discount. Of course they don't give a gift with every purchase. But some purchases are big occasions for some people and why not gently enquire about the possibility of a watch roll or similar. I did when I bought a steel Daytona about 6-7 years ago and was given a four watch roll. Sure you can get something similar for £200 or less but a Rolex branded one is definitely going to be good quality and if you get it "free" (remember you've just dropped several thousand pounds in the shop's P+L account) then so much the better.

I agree that it can be tacky. I recall one member here listing all manner of freebies from a particular brand after he bought a few of their watches. Absolutely loads of it. That must have been toe curlingly cringeworthy to witness in the shop

Being offered something after an expensive purchase is one thing, asking is another…

Nice to be offered something but I wouldn’t ask. I had a business meeting a few years ago and the chap was over the moon with his Rolex branded golf umbrella given when he bought his latest piece. He assured me it was top of the range and would be worth a fortune for an umbrella. I got one of our company branded gifts our for a comparison and they were exactly the same, probably even made in the same factory. Only issue was that I knew what ours had cost and they certainly weren’t high end umbrellas. I’ve certainly never understood why people pay over the odds for these freebies on SC or ebay, I guess it just proves, much like that ridiculous thing masquerading as art in the other thread, that the power of the brand is much more important than the quality of the offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Being offered something after an expensive purchase is one thing, asking is another…
    “Thanks for the watch, I love it. I don’t suppose you have any Rolex merch?” I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. I’m not really interested in that stuff so haven’t asked personally but wouldn’t feel awkward doing so.

I picked up the watch yesterday, I asked, didn't get, but the watch is nice. Borderline wears too big on me though.

Be asking for a set of car mats next!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Be asking for a set of car mats next!
    Always asked for free car mats back in the day . Sneaky buggers include it as part of the standard equipment now.

Still can't believe someone would buy a watch from the cheapest range with the lowest margin - a model somehow selling above RRP - and ask for "freebies" which the AD buys from Rolex. Amazing really.

One way to reduce the chances of getting another call from the AD

Classy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I (in fact the wife) got a bottle of champers when I bought a 16610 from Haywood's shop. I suppose it did cost more than a new one...
    Me too when I bought the wife a Datejust a couple of years ago. When said watch wasn’t to her pleasing, both went back to Miltons.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    One way to reduce the chances of getting another call from the AD
    I won't be expecting a call from them anytime soon as I've not registered my interest in anything else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    I picked up the watch yesterday, I asked, didn't get, but the watch is nice. Borderline wears too big on me though.

Never mind, just think of the profit when you don't bond with it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Mappin & Webb in Kingston always get me absolutely sh*tfaced on Peroni whenever I'm in there. I've come to call it the 'most expensive pub in London'! But I've always found them good for decent freebies - ones that matter to me though like beer and chocolates!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Still can't believe someone would buy a watch from the cheapest range with the lowest margin - a model somehow selling above RRP - and ask for "freebies" which the AD buys from Rolex. Amazing really.
    I always assumed these types of freebies went to people making their first purchase and it wasn’t really related to value of the purchase. Do people purchasing £30k+ PM pieces really care about a cheap Rolex baseball cap?

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post

Plenty of people here would be happy to buy that off you at a modest discount if it doesn’t fit you. I’m sure they would even throw in some freebies if that would help sweeten the deal?

I couldn’t think of anything worse than walking around with a Rolex baseball cap, umbrella etc .

Reminds me of Joey from friends and the Porsche jacket episode .