closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling those who know about car wheel alignment

Craftsman

Calling those who know about car wheel alignment

I had a tyre fitted yesterday and was offered a gratis alignment check. I was surprised when the fitter showed me the attached data screen shot and offers to reset for £80 (takes 20mins. he said) As far as I can see all tyres are OK and the car drives well. I declined the offer. When I got home I looked more closely at the screen shot and can see the deviations from the norm are very small ie: minutes and not degrees. So, was it just a ploy to make a buck, or do I really need to get it done? Any informed advice appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm no expert but assume the illustration is exaggerated to make it clear what the figures actually mean.

Always worthwhile getting it in check, especially if you want your tyres to wear evenly and for the car to handle as it is designed to do so.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It’s worth having a four wheel alignment annually. Saves money on tyres, makes the car drive and brake better, and can reduce some odd vibrations that build up over time.

From that pic I’d suggest it’s worth it just for your driver side alignment. It’s not wildly off, but it’s going to be fighting against your steering somewhat.

Simple answer yes, the car is outside of the tolerance which has been set by the manufacturer. Before doing so get your local garage to just check the front suspension over and make sure there’s no movement in anything before adjustment otherwise it’s a waste of time.
    Tyre places annoy me that use that ploy, why not just ask or recommend do you want us to check/adjust your tracking?
    It doesn’t cost £80 to tweak 2 track rod ends assuming nothings seized- it goes from a free check to an actual charge at that price.

It's seems expensive but I guess that depends on what part of the country your in. I got my car done in May and it cost me £40

Craftsman
    Those are a tiny amount out of tolerance. You won't notice a difference.

Doing 4 wheel alignment this way makes it look like the geometry is out, but if you ignore the individual wheels and take the axle average which is how the car will settle when driving, it’s actually within the tolerance, just. The up shot of the misalignment on this chart is that your car will crab by about 3 minutes of arc and I highly doubt any one would notice that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Doing 4 wheel alignment this way makes it look like the geometry is out, but if you ignore the individual wheels and take the axle average which is how the car will settle when driving, it’s actually within the tolerance, just. The up shot of the misalignment on this chart is that your car will crab by about 3 minutes of arc and I highly doubt any one would notice that.
    That was my interpretation, I would be reluctant to spend £80 correcting such a minor discrepancy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the tracking checked and set on my wife's car last week because I noticed very slightly uneven wear. It cost £25. Like anything that effects your tyres and breaking, it's always worth keeping spot on, but I'd ring a couple of independent garages as £80 is a bit cheeky.

I'd also recommend searching for the settings specific to your car, as they vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Master
    I get the alignment on my Honda done annually, caster, camber, and toe, it’s usually out a bit, potholes and speed cushions aplenty round here, £45 and is set to the performance side of manufacturers ‘comfort’ settings, if nothing else it’s a good health check since basic servicing is done by me. £80 for a base set up seems dear but suppose it’s dependent of labour rates where you are.

Blog Entries
    ... and when you pull heavy trailers, it's good to have it checked as well, especially the rear wheels.

Menno