closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: B*gger

Blog Entries

B*gger

Just had a dexa scan this week - my Osteoporosis has got worse not better over the last two years. The doc sounds concerned - wants to see if I can get a spine injection. Trouble is - leaving the country soon. Doc says - surely you can come back for an appointment. I guess she hasn't heard that since Brexit I won't be entitled to NHS treatment. Just one more spanner in the works... Sorry guys - just needed to vent.

Anyone else dealing with Osteoporosis? What do you find helps - and yes I know I need to lay off the booze. It may be symptomatic - but since the scan I've been feeling dull pain in my lower back.. . .M
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Never dealt with it Martin but I’m sorry you’re suffering with it, that’s not ideal when you leave you’re not entitled to NHS treatment anymore especially having paid in your whole life for it!

Good excuse to get the boiler fixed? Surely being warm will help my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Martyn mate. Why won’t you be eligible for NHS treatments anymore? Because you’ll be a non-UK resident? You’d still be a UK passport holder though?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Martyn mate. Why won’t you be eligible for NHS treatments anymore? Because you’ll be a non-UK resident? You’d still be a UK passport holder though?
    The NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. If you relocate permanently you have to notify your GP and be removed from the NHS register. You then fall under the healthcare system of the country that you emigrate to, which usually means needing some kind of health insurance scheme.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks - every day is a school day!

Blog Entries
    There is a slim chance I may be eligible as I have Portuguese residency since March 2020 so

“Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK war pensioners, UK government employees, and UK nationals living in the EU on or before 31 December 2020“. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...live-in-the-uk

anyway. Any thoughts on treatments or ways to deal with Osteoporosis? It all looks a bit bleak. Could be crumbling spine as I get older. But then - vit D is good so the sunshine should help. Look on the bright side. Also Portuguese National health cover got voted #5 globally for customer satisfaction.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

No idea, sorry - but I wish you the very best.

Tough one, while the UK has failings the NHS isnt one of them, if the dream is Portugal then I would suggest finding out the costs of medical procedures for your condition in a worse case scenario, lets hope that doesnt happen but it sounds like a plan for the worse case but hope for the best situation.

Would be difficult to accept paying into a health service for a long time to be told you cant benefit from it, wish you all the best whatever you do..

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was and is common practice for expats (especially outside the EU) to maintain a UK address and GP registration, relying on the NHS' general inefficiency that their actual residency will never get picked up.

For clarification, if you reside outside the UK for more than 3 months the GP is supposed to remove you from their list and as they effectively act as a gateway to further NHS services this prevents you using the NHS for anything except emergency trreatment.

Spain has a contributory system - residence alone isn't enough (contributions from benefits counts as well in case you were wondering how people who don't work can get treatment). Post-Brexit you must have private health insurance to qualify for a residence visa.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 28th August 2021 at 09:53.

Master
    I feel for you as up till the age of 55 i never had any sort of medical issues but suddenly developed acute eosinophilic pneumonia and for the last three years have been on a high dose of steriods.

A side effect is osteoporosis and my Dexa scan in January showed that is i have developed osteoporosis.

I have also developed numeous joint and muscle pain.

I take adcal a calcuim supplement along with trying to eat and drink the right foods and exercise each day.

From what i have learnt osteoporosis can be reversed or slowed down with the right balance of treatment/foods/exercise etc.

I was going to retire at 60 to either Spain or Oz full time but with my health declining i have decided it is not a wise move so will stay here and get out for the winter between medical appointments.

As some have said use an address in the UK for your doctors and return for treatment as and when.