closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any electricians on site? Advice sought

Master

Any electricians on site? Advice sought

Hi... I am about to take the plunge into electric car ownership and have started to think about the electricity supply. Quite obviously I won't be doing this myself.... I will get the local power company to come in and change the 60Amp fuse for a 100Amp main fuse and then a qualified electrician to do the rest.. what I am unsure about is how the arrangement will work as there's not a great deal of room in the meter box. I am told that it should be installed as per this diagram... the chap I had come and take an initial look didn't want to do the job but advised me that this is the way to go as my house consumer unit is full and is a plastic box anyway (apparently all the new ones are metal?) and in truth I don't want to go to the expense of changing that and redecorating afterwards....

One thing he wasn't clear on (but more likely I can't recall properly) is whether the isolator box goes before or after the meter... if before it will have to be fitted by Western Power and if after I assume the electrician can do it. The route of the tails from the Henley Block to the garage is through one breezeblock wall which separates my porch from the garage and he said that would be a piece of pi55 and a couple of meters of cable will do the trick.... and strongly recommended a separate consumer unit fitted with a surge protector mounted on the garage wall dedicated to the car charger.

So my question is... Does this make sense? Should I be thinking of any different strategy? I appreciate that whatever I do it will cost money but I want it done properly and safely so need to get it straight in my mind before I start talking with charge unit suppliers and electricians.

As always, most grateful to anyone who can help.
    Rob

From what you have said it is difficult to understand, however nothing goes before the meter, it goes Main Fuse, Tails, Meter, then your side,

Craftsman
    Western Power have just put a new supply on for myself. It goes main fuse, meter, 100amp fuse, then my electrician fitted an isolator unit. The supply had to go from there to what will be the house consumer unit and from there to outbuildings. No Henley blocks.

I should say that all this was installed in a standalone box some 50m plus from the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    From what you have said it is difficult to understand, however nothing goes before the meter, it goes Main Fuse, Tails, Meter, then your side,
    I thought that was the case, as that way the electrician con do whatever he wants without disturbing the meter.
    Rob

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been retired a few years and not up on current regs,but that’s the way I would have done it.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Just had my meter tails upgraded to 25mm and by default they fitted an isolator and smart meter, and the DNO’s fuse upped from 80amp > 100amps in preparation of an EV Charger installation.

Now these works have been undertaken, I’ll have a secondary RCD unit just for the 7kW charger.

B